OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2018 12:12 pm  #11

Re: Beginning Separation - seeing extended family

Sorry my friend.  

Now you know what the future holds and you can begin moving forward with clarity and cause. 

I know how painful this is, but you will be ok and your kids will be ok.  You've got this!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 13, 2018 12:14 pm  #12

I’m off the next couple of days.  Where do I go first, lawyer?  Bank?  Marital counseling?

“To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. It liberates us from pretense, humbles us out of our self-righteousness, and fortifies us for any difficulty life can throw at us.” 

August 13, 2018 12:46 pm  #13

My advice:
1.) If you are having trouble sleeping, eating, anxiety attacks, etc... go visit your Dr. first. 
2.)  Lawyer - most offer a free or very low cost initial consultation.  Go see a few of them.  Write down a bunch of question in advance and learn as much as you can.  Then when you are ready to pull the trigger you will have a favorite already selected. 

Bank - Most judges will frown on you making any big changes to your banking setup just before filing... BUT if you think your wife will steal or mis-use your joint funds, then you could protect those funds.  Just don't try to "hide" them, so to speak. 
Marital counseling doesn't seem to be an option at this point (from what I read).  At least not in the direction of saving the marriage.  However, going to counseling could be helpful because it's a third party referee to help you get through some really hard communication.  You may not be able to fix the marriage, but if you can get through some hard conversations now it might make things go smoother in the future. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

August 13, 2018 8:17 pm  #14

She said she would seek divorce if she couldn't get her way in terms of opening up her side of the marriage. It wouldn't surprise me if she already spent part of last week looking into what she would be entitled to.

Don't feel guilty. It's not something any of us ever anticipated needing to do but sometimes it must be done. Do the best you can for your kids and hopefully the rest will be dealt with in a fair and equitable manner. If any law offices don't want to give you a consultation after getting your basic information, it's possible they already gave one to your spouse.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

August 14, 2018 4:05 am  #15

I have a different take than Phoenix on the bank account.  Daryl may be right, in that your wife may have spent some time last week figuring out what of the marital assets she's entitled to.  If she did consult a lawyer, or more than one, those lawyers will not be able to work with you (it's called "conflict of interest," and whoever you call for a consultation will have to check to make sure s/he hasn't already met with your wife.  If you live in a fault state, whether your wife has acted and is involved with another woman may work to your advantage in negotiating a settlement and custody, especially if she doesn't want her sexuality made public.  If you live in a "no fault" state, then it's 50/50, assets and debts.
  Contrary to Phoenix, I'd like to suggest that you consider opening the bank account.  You can check with a lawyer on this next bit, but I think you would not run afoul of a judge if you transfer half (or even all) of your savings into that account--BUT don't touch it.  Just park it there.  This may be a necessary self protective strategy if you fear your wife may feel "entitled" to help herself to your joint money.  
  And like Daryl says, don't feel guilty.  You are not breaking up the marriage.  She did, by changing the terms of it.  You don't enter into marriage expecting to divorce, but sometimes circumstances make it necessary.  

August 14, 2018 5:44 am  #16

I would suggest opening new checking and savings accounts for your future income. That way you have privacy when you hire an attorney. You are going to need to spend money for your monthly living expenses and it will make it easier for you to track them if and when you need to. 

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

August 14, 2018 8:42 am  #17

Thank you all.  I have to be very careful in what I can do which finances and any benefits my wife receives regardless of her actions. 

I am active duty Military and she can go to my chain of command if I remove her acess to funds as well as spin whatever narrative she likes.  I have been upfront with my command team about everything from the start.  They are supportive. 

I flew in yesterday and my wife had said I could find my own ride home from the airport but I thought I would see or hear from her later.  She never came home yesterday and never called or messaged once.   How do you go through such a change?  She in July was still referring to me her as husband and Best Friend. 

This Thursday marks our 15 year anniversary, I submitted my leave and took this week off originally so we could do a trip together just the two of us. Now I’m spending in to go open single back accounts and hire a lawyer.  It’s all so surreal.

“To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. It liberates us from pretense, humbles us out of our self-righteousness, and fortifies us for any difficulty life can throw at us.” 

August 14, 2018 8:45 am  #18

The banking can be tricky.. and as everyone has said so far..  ask your lawyer!

My experience was this:  I had an attorney tell me that I needed to keep things "status quo" until the divorce was final.  That meant that both of us had to abstain from any abnormal purchases or spending, continue paying all bills, no new credit lines and no hiding money.  
I deviated just a little bit from this advice by opening up a new checking account.  I did it at my same bank and actually had it linked to my other accounts to be sure it would never be viewed as "secret".  But I didn't give her access to it.  I moved a lump sum into the account but left enough for a month of two of bills.  Each month I would deposit 50% of my paycheck into this account and the other 50% into the joint family accounts.  I paid all bills out of the family account first and then the remaining I took out of the new account.  She found out about this eventually and asked the judge at a hearing if I was allowed to do this.  I had to show the judge a bank statement (which I had with me) showing that every penny was accounted for and I hadn't taken anything out that I shouldn't have.  The judge said I was not allowed to keep the account separate because my income was still joint until the divorce was final.  I was required to close the account and transfer all funds back into the joint accounts.   It wasn't a big deal in the end because I was fully transparent and I did have a little more peace of mind during the divorce process because I knew she couldn't touch it..  but I got a little slap on the wrist from the judge. 

That's just my experience.   other states, other attorneys, other judges might have different opinions or interpretations of the laws. 

Board footera