OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2018 3:19 pm  #11

Re: Would it be helpful to have a sub-forum dedicated to Trans issues?

My error, Kel, that sentence that begins "What you say aside from that..." was supposed to go on to say those things were in fact quite helpful.

February 28, 2018 3:54 pm  #12

Great feedback from everyone.   I think the we have some in favor and some against, but I think I'm swayed against the idea by from very compelling reasons from a few of the group that are most experienced in this area.    So I won't pursue the idea of a sub-section. 

There were a few other good points made about making threads more searchable and building a database of resources.  These are great ideas and I will consider how to implement. 

Thanks everyone!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 28, 2018 3:58 pm  #13

Making threads more searchable is a great compromise. I wouldn’t wish trans threads to be marginalised and not benefit from the groups experience.

February 28, 2018 6:46 pm  #14

Phoenix, 
  Here's one suggestion for resources.  On the main page of the SSN there's a link for resources, and for trans, there's a reference to a book by Jennifer Finney Boylan, a trans woman, which is a memoir about her transition--it's not a book that supports straight spouses at all.  If you want a book that is from the spouse's point of view, Christine Benevenuto's memoir of her husband's transition, "Sex Changes," should be there instead or at least in addition to Boylan's.  Benevenuto divorced her husband.  Helen Boyd's two memoirs (she's a spouse) "My Husband Betty" and "She's Not the Man I Married" are from the perspective of a wife who stays.  

February 28, 2018 7:54 pm  #15

There is a search function here but it is of limited usefulness. Having something like topic tags for a post would be a godsend but I don't know if the board software supports that.

A pinned post that was essentially just a series of helpful links to other resources might work. It could be broken into categories and consist of links to webpages, videos, books, newspaper articles and so on.

As for the original question, I read the threads from the people hear in a trans type situation. I don't usually have much to say on them but I've learned a lot I did not know before.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

March 1, 2018 9:20 am  #16

Daryl wrote:

A pinned post that was essentially just a series of helpful links to other resources might work. It could be broken into categories and consist of links to webpages, videos, books, newspaper articles and so on.

I believe this is the method I'll have to employ.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

Board footera