OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2017 8:31 pm  #11

Re: staying in closet but breaking up the marriage anyway?

Two things I learned when my husband was coming out were 1. A therapist said children are more affected by the disfunction in a marriage than the divorce so they will be probably better off with divorced parents than disfuntional ones. 2.  Don't under any circumstance have sex with her (probably not likely) but a divorce attorney said having sex with them implies forgiving them of any disgressions (i.e. Any cheating) and so the cheating won't hold up in court. Also I agree with Phoenix. I think it is your story to tell and you can tell your kids the truth.  For now before the divorce you could say Mom has not been honest with me about some things.... and leave it at that.

October 21, 2017 11:53 pm  #12

trusty wrote:

The more I read old posts, the more I see that it's more common than I thought for the straight spouse to be told/asked not to explain this to the kids.

And the other big thing I'm dealing with right now, being blamed and shunned by in-laws, is apparently something pretty common too. TGT didn't blind-side me as much as having those people shut me out and tell me to comply with my marginally-competent spouse's divorce demands.

I would say stand up for what is right and fair. Your obligation is only to your kids. To hell with what the in-laws think is right. Leave that to the courts. I have seen more than one person here report that their in-laws sided with blood relatives. You lived it, they didn't. Also they may also be getting a one-sided story. Sadly there is little you can do about that if they are unwilling to have a discussion. If you can keep a relationship going with them, that is great but do not expect it.

As for the kids, the adult thing would be to give them an age-appropriate explanation together. They need to know what is probably going to happen so that they are mentally prepared. That it's not their fault and that they still have two parents who love them. Agree on the explanation in advance. Do not let your spouse tell them without you present. I recall someone here who told their spouse that either they do it together or it was going to happen anyway. Not sure if that is an option here but worth considering.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 22, 2017 12:01 pm  #13

I agree with everything Daryl just said.  I would add, though, that the children are also the gay spouses blood relatives (while the straight spouse is not), and they too can often side exclusively with their blood relative, and you are "the bad one".  As Daryl said, all you can do is give age appropriate explanations, let them know they have two parents who love them, and hope for the best.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

October 22, 2017 12:05 pm  #14

I suppose what I just wrote could work the other way around, too, i.e. the children could side with their blood relative, the straight spouse, but I that does not always happen.  If the blood side of the gay spouse makes more noise and forcefully defends the gay spouse, and denigrates the straight spouse, the children are going to be swayed I think, to the side that seems the strongest or most forceful in their advocacy whether it is "right" or not.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

October 22, 2017 12:27 pm  #15

Adult children might side one way or another, depending on what kind of relationship they have with either parent. Like any other adult, that is beyond our control. As for kids, it is most unfair when someone wants to encourage them to pick sides. It is difficult enough for adults to fully understand a Straight/Non-straight relationship and/or breakup. Expecting children to get it is unrealistic. This is why, if possible, parents should 'adult-up' and explain it together. Avoid trash talking the other spouse or ex while kids are present or on visitation time, etc. If it's a full custody situation, remembering that there may be a second set of Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins that might wish to see them. Sadly that doesn't always happen.

― Joe Strummer

October 22, 2017 2:28 pm  #16

I am not so worried about the kids being forced to take sides. That's what made things so bad when my own parents divorced. And that's not really whats happening (not right now anyway). At the moment I'm just extremely disappointed that my in-laws, who only seem to want one side of the story, are so eager to break my family apart. They are doing everyone involved a disservice. But what can you do.... I understand completely that they must take her side; I don't expect anything less from them- I am just trying to process everything, and it's all happening so fast right now. 

Nobody is saying anything against me, either to my face or to the kids. My behavior is not in question. I'm just being told by the in-laws that they are sorry if I am hurt, but that I should just give up and agree to separate, which supposedly will make everything better. 

Last edited by trusty (October 22, 2017 2:32 pm)

October 22, 2017 3:19 pm  #17

Maybe they are thinking the sooner this is done with, the better for everyone. That's not always true in life and one must always think of the longer term consequences.

― Joe Strummer

October 22, 2017 8:34 pm  #18

Trusty,
I think in-laws are caught in this like we are.. They will never know how much their child hurt us.. never comprehend.    I miss mine.. I drop the kids with them whenever they want..   They would be wise to 
be kind to you... as the kids mother you have more say in  them seeing the kids or not ...

My minority opinion. now...   my kids are doing well.
As for the kids..they just want a mom and dad.   they dont care about nor can they really help with your problems...that is ok though...    its true that they  will never know how much  we were hurt... but its may not help them to know the reason that we have to separate . I mean we have a hard time processing TGT..it may not help the kids to have that added to their worries also.    What we can do the for the kids is be the most consistent and reliable parent they know...the parent they know and love.  

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 24, 2017 2:27 pm  #19

Hi Trusty,
 Sorry you have to be here. My situation was way different. Married for 27 years. Two adult children grown and living out of state. Mine told me 6 weeks after our 26th anniversary that she was gay and moving out. Took about 1/3 of the stuff in the house and left. She filed for divorce. She came out right away to me, her parents, our kids, etc.
 But.... Even if she hadn't I would not have kept her secret. It was also my life story and I am entitled to tell the story of my own life if I so choose. The kids were shocked. One took it better than the other. My ex-inlaws were embarrassed. They were uncomfortable around me. They were VERY catholic. So needless to say, they were outside of any kind of understanding. They hold nothing against me but we don't see each other except by chance. Very sad though as they were a second set of parents to me (We got married when I was not 20 years old yet).
 BUT... As I said before this is your life story as well.

Be well,
Clif

Last edited by Clif (October 24, 2017 2:28 pm)

October 25, 2017 10:18 am  #20

It comes down to how trustworthy your spouse's words are considered by the people he/she is speaking them to. My sister's husband tried SO hard to manage his image that people eventually figured it out.  He was always posting the #Blessed thing on FB about his beautiful daughters, and posted pics with them when they were out having fun at some organized event, but no one in his real life ever saw him parenting.  He posted tons of pics of his body as it morphed with his body-building.  But no one ever saw him holding down a damned job.  I think he had a lot of people fooled for a long time, and then it just became so blatant that it was pathetic.  My sister, by contrast, stays almost completely off of social media, and was always just quietly parenting the kids.  People saw through the facade eventually.  And when they broke up, lots of his friends came out of the woodwork to support my sister - because they felt like THEY'd been duped, too.  I'm sure he tried to speak negatively about her at some point, but no one (including his family) was having it.  So he had to go make all new friends with his newly single, partying lifestyle. All much younger and less wise.

You can only speak the truth, and let people decide for themselves.  They may want details, but you aren't obligated to share them unless you feel like it.  It's sometimes enough to tell people that was actively deceiving you and your children on a daily basis about who he was and what the basis of his relationship with you was about.  You can say that he lied, cheated, and stole years from you.  I've often told people, "I wasn't blameless when it came to issues within our marriage.  But most of the critical issues stemmed from one fatal flaw that should have never been hidden from me in the first place.  And there was just no rectifying it."  After you say something like that (and if they believe you), it will matter little what your ex says to them afterward.  They will see everything through that filter.  If he says you were cold and distant, they will think, "Well SURE she was - he was actively deceiving her!".

Yes, people will often side with their blood relative.  Partly because they have so much in common when it comes to personality and beliefs - they've helped form each other, so they think more alike than most non relatives ever would.  Sometimes people just align themselves because they think they're expected to.  Maybe someone else in their lives gave them an ultimatum in the past where they had to choose between people, and they think it's normal/expected behavior now.  Or maybe disliking what a relative does feels like they're not loving them unconditionally.  Or maybe admitting their child sucks makes them feel like they must have done something wrong in raising this turd.  So they choose instead to see their relative with rose-colored glasses.  You know those parents when their kids are young who will go stomping over to the school at the mere mention that the teacher isn't being fair?  Yeah - that doesn't go away.  Their kids grow up but they still see the child as an extension of themselves, and they will never admit their kid might be at fault.  There is literally nothing you can do to change that.

I've never understood gay parents not wanting to come out to their children.  I mean, if being gay is cool, and not "wrong", then why do you need to hide it?  If it's truly just an alternate lifestyle, then ACT like that's what it is, ya know?  It's sending a mixed message when you leave so you can live authentically, but then don't live authentically to those closest to you.  That's just hypocritical and frankly, selfish.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (October 25, 2017 10:20 am)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera