OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2024 1:23 pm  #1

Upcoming Mediation

I was doing some random googling about straight spouse recovery and came across this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnMrY7ihQPk

A part of me would love to send this to my former spouse, but I doubt he would actually watch it or listen to anything in it. 

I can say, that out of everything that has happened in my story....the hardest thing for me has been not knowing "the truth". He never included me in any of it. I had no idea until he blindsided me with the information. And, this has been the hardest part....it's the fact that I trusted him, told him everything, relied on him, and saw him as my partner in life....and he never felt the same way. He never even tried to fill me in on the details of what happened in the marriage, or ever shared anything with me about his experience. The depth of pain this has caused is indescribable...

Looking back now, I can see that this was the part that was always off. And now, I can recognize the signs even when we were dating over 20 years ago. Now I can see the waving red flags, but at the time I had no idea what they meant (again, it just never occurred to me that anyone would just lie about something like this). I spent the entire marriage trying to be good enough, because I blamed myself for things being "off". He exploited my weaknesses and naivety. I would like to think that it wasn't malicious, but I honestly don't know anymore.

Looping back around, what still hurts me is his refusal to fill in any of the gaps. It has been incredibly frustrating, after devoting myself to our marriage for 20 years, that he cannot respect me enough to sit down and have a conversation about the relationship.

I don't care what he does with his life now. I have no desire to place blame, as it's over with now. I don't ever want to be a part of his life again. We will not be friends. He is not even capable of being kind or civil the majority of the time. But...I do care about what was going on in those 20 years we were married. And I do wish he had loved me enough, or cared about me enough to allow me that little piece to aid in healing.

In this youtube video, where she gives her two pieces of advice to the non-straight spouse - I wish more of these individuals were able to do this. And I truly envy those who were able to have one of these caring spouses who actually did help in any way they could to make the transition easier. I'm sure the journey was no where near easy, but I would think it at least helped somewhat.

I would have loved to be able to walk away from this with at least some good memories. But my former spouse has gone "burn the village down" style and made sure I know just how little he ever cared.

I am about to do mediation to try to settle the divorce stuff and I am struggling. I do not want to see him. I know that seeing this person in the flesh will deeply hurt because he will look like the person I love, but the hate in his eyes will cut deeply. I have requested that we be in separate rooms for the process. I feel kind of pathetic and I know he will be offended by the request....because he doesn't care. There is no love there. I am lower than pond scum in his eyes and he will hurt me without a second thought. And I'm just not at the point yet where I can take another one of his beatings. I have come a long way and I just really don't want to take anymore steps backward.....

Those who have gone through the divorce process (and struggled with anxiety/depression/low self esteem that was made a million times worse because of all this) - how did you handle the process? Did it go better than you thought? 

April 9, 2024 4:12 pm  #2

Re: Upcoming Mediation

Anon2222

Do you have to do mediation?   My lawyer advised against it and I agree..how reasonable is it to debate with a gay in denial person?...most are narcissist.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 9, 2024 6:36 pm  #3

Hello Anon,

That's a great video. Some kind forum member posted that for me when I first joined. I was great to see it again. Thank you!

I agree with Rob. Mediation is not advised if your stbx has narcissistic tendencies and you need your 50% of the community property to keep a decent lifestyle.

It seems to me the other partner and his attorney use charm  to corral the mediator onto their side. Then, they kind of gang up against you.

Here's an entire thread I found about it which may be helpful. Note the post by walkbymyself on 10/11/2021. (I hope she doesn't mind me pointing it out.)  I feel embarrassed by mine. I sound like like Chucky the Doll, but the whole process is upsetting.

https://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2771

The ultimate decision lies with you, Anon. You know what's right for you.

Edited to correct date.

Last edited by MJM017 (April 9, 2024 6:44 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

April 9, 2024 8:29 pm  #4

I read that thread....and that's just mildly terrifying...

Unfortunately, I have no choice in the matter. Where I live, you have to legally first attempt to resolve the divorce via "informal discussion", then mediation and then court. Of course the informal discussion just involved him being completely delusional. So, mediation we go.

Of course he blames me for this taking so long *eye roll*

Nothing like wasting $8,000/day to listen to more of his delusions. I know what I am legally entitled to, and I am done with his BS. I am hoping I can just lay out what I want and if he disagrees, we can just end it and let the law decide.

Although, reading some others experience in the legal system....now I just don't know.

April 9, 2024 10:57 pm  #5

Anon2222 wrote:

I was doing some random googling about straight spouse recovery and came across this youtube video: .... 

Emily's TedX video was the first thing I found and I've watched it several times. It had a profound effect on me. I  
was so sad to hear of her passing.

E.

KIA KAHA                       

April 10, 2024 9:04 am  #6

Anon2222,

So sorry.  For me a million dollars a day was a small price to pay to be free of her.  Exaggerating but at some point it becomes priceless to be free of them.

Which you strength and stoicism.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 10, 2024 3:38 pm  #7

Anon,
I am just here to say that you sound sooo much stronger and it seems like everything got so much more clear for you. I know you still have unpleasant and painful things to go through, but reading your words feels like  you are finaly not concentrating on him but on yourself. Happy to read.

April 10, 2024 6:43 pm  #8

ellierigg wrote:

Anon,
I am just here to say that you sound sooo much stronger and it seems like everything got so much more clear for you. I know you still have unpleasant and painful things to go through, but reading your words feels like you are finaly not concentrating on him but on yourself. Happy to read.

Thanks! I have my good days and I have my bad days....but, the good are slowly outnumbering the bad. And, overall, I'm going uphill. My personal health sort of tanked lately, and I realized that his BS really is not worth it, completely unnecessary, and I have more important things in my life. His behavior just became so ridiculous it feels like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum. And I don't have the energy to deal with someone who is delusional.

My lawyer passed along my request to not see or speak to each other. The mediator pushed back on this....stating that she wants us all to meet as a group, at least at the beginning, so that she can get an idea of the "big picture" and explain the process of mediation *eye roll* No thanks.

I said absolutely not. There is no way in hell I will be in a room with him. I don't want to hear his side of the story. I don't want to see him. And I don't want to hear the BS that will come out of his mouth. We are not friends. I'm not here to come to an understanding or work together or anything else.

This is another part of the process that I think is ridiculous. He abused me for years. Any involvement I have had with him since he walked out has led to an extreme depressive episode, potentially suicidal ideation and it can take me a week or more to come out of it. HE is the one that wanted a divorce. Why should I have to suffer even more because of him?

At first I felt really embarrassed to make this request...but then I thought, why? I am not the only person out there in the world who has severe depressive disorder/anxiety and I know that being pushed into the same room will negatively impact me and my ability to negotiate. So, I am standing up for myself and what I need and want in this process....and it is quite liberating.

April 12, 2024 5:00 pm  #9

I attempted mediation with my ex-wife.  She walked out because she felt she was getting a raw deal.

The irony is that I got a better outcome through litigation and trial.  Serves her right.

Last edited by Blue Bear (April 12, 2024 5:00 pm)

April 12, 2024 5:32 pm  #10

I strongly advise against mediation. I reached 3 agreements, signed them and notarized them, only to have her change the terms. I finally had to file. In the end, I paid 60K that I would not have if I just filed from the start to get basically the same agreement. These people (most) are not honest with themselves, why would anyone believe they will be honest with you? Not sure why I did, was still naive at that point I guess. Save the money, file and if you reach an agreement before trial great, but do not expect honesty

Board footera