OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2021 2:32 pm  #1

Mediation Day 2 was irritating...

I'm so upset right now.
My soon-to-be GX is making it more clear that he wants to screw me; deplete me.
He wants me to fear that if he moves out that I will be financially lost without him.
And if we sell the house he knows that will ruin my business that is currently trying to survive the pandemic. I'm seeing clients out of our home to save money. If I have to move into an apartment I will no longer have income.

When the mediator suggested I deplete all my savings to buy him out, he nodded his head as though he were enjoying the thought. I lost it and told him I knew that he was trying to drain me & force me to close! And then I blabbed how I was screwed in my marriage & I'm getting screwed with the house & then I blurted out that "I'm FUCKED". Ugh, I feel so stupid & emotional. I've been holding in so much, trying to keep my head and not give him any information as to what I'm thinking or planning. Now that I have to disclose my income & so forth, I feel so vulnerable.

Anyway. That is all. Just needed to vent.

October 8, 2021 6:02 pm  #2

Re: Mediation Day 2 was irritating...

broomhilda2 wrote:

...... And then I blabbed how I was screwed in my marriage & I'm getting screwed with the house & then I blurted out that "I'm FUCKED"....... 

Been there done that Broom. Told my partner I'd been to see a lawyer....wish I hadn't but I did and there's no going back so I told myself "don't bring it up ever again" (I haven't) and he doesn't mention it. 
I know yours and my situations are different but remember just as you don't know what he's planning/thinking/doing
....he doesn't know what else you're planning/thinking/doing either because you're not going to mention it again.

Take a deep breath and know he's not worth the worry

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

October 8, 2021 6:13 pm  #3

Broomhilda, have you souggt legal advice at all so you know what your rights are and what you might expect a settlement to look like? This site https://www.womenslaw.org/ has US state-specific legal info and resources for every US state.  Having a clear and realistic idea of what is possible and what isn't, can help.

You might find it helpful to have a support person with you in the mediation sessions if permitted.

The divorce process can be very trying and stressful. Having as much information as possible can really help.

Good luck and I hope he doesn't drag it out too long.

October 9, 2021 5:33 am  #4

Soaplife wrote:

Broomhilda, have you sought legal advice at all so you know what your rights are and what you might expect a settlement to look like? 

You might find it helpful to have a support person with you in the mediation sessions if permitted.

Hi Soaplife, I have retained a lawyer to help with questions thus far. It's time to start using her for the big stuff. Thanks for the link, I'll be reading through it before I reach out to my lawyer on Monday.

We're mediating through zoom right now all together but I will ask the mediator if we can meet separately from now on and he can just relay messages back & forth (hopefully). I definitely feel like I'm back in the role of being the one who's open, exposed & trying to fix everything while he just sits there gathering information to manipulate & control the outcome.

October 9, 2021 6:37 am  #5

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

....he doesn't know what else you're planning/thinking/doing either because you're not going to mention it again.
Take a deep breath and know he's not worth the worry

I'm up at 3am still worrying about it and having imaginary arguments with him in my head. But you're definitely right, he's not worth the worry - I'm done. I'm going to put on a guided sleep meditation & go back to bed... I'm not going to meet with him face to face in mediation any longer and I'm going to tell him tomorrow to get out until we can come to an agreement.

Thank you.

October 9, 2021 6:37 am  #6

broomhilda2 wrote:

Hi Soaplife, I have retained a lawyer to help with questions thus far. It's time to start using her for the big stuff. Thanks for the link, I'll be reading through it before I reach out to my lawyer on Monday.

We're mediating through zoom right now all together but I will ask the mediator if we can meet separately from now on and he can just relay messages back & forth (hopefully). I definitely feel like I'm back in the role of being the one who's open, exposed & trying to fix everything while he just sits there gathering information to manipulate & control the outcome.

Broomhilda you are doing all the right things in a really trying situation. Using your lawyer more and the separate mediation sound like an excellent idea.  Anything that keeps you away from direct contact with him is better for you.  Your biggest strength is admitting how vulnerable you feel in his presence and taking steps to manage that. Don't let him bamboozle you.

Keep going, it does end.

October 11, 2021 2:00 pm  #7

Oh sweetie, I do feel your pain.  I AM a lawyer, and I got fucked in the settlement.  We had to first fail at mediation, and after that we had to do a voluntary settlement conference with a retired judge, Hank Goldberg, in a process that was confidential and not subject to review.  EVER.  And in that process, the judge decided before we'd even started that I was the evil wife, and within ten minutes I was crying and hyperventilating.  He insinuated that I was hurting my daughter by holding out for a livable settlement (our daughter wasn't even at issue in the process -- she was 23 and living in another state).  My husband had stolen a small fortune -- in California, both of our incomes are "community property" but for the entire duration of 24 years my husband had deposited 40% of his salary, bonus, and partnership draws into a separate account.  I know it sounds crazy, but I only learned about it two weeks before the conference, and I don't think even my own lawyer really believed me.  When I got into the conference, the judge dismissed me as a crazy; he wouldn't even look at the bank statements.  He insisted I was just trying to humiliate my husband by bringing up the fact that my husband squandered hundreds of thousands of dollars on prostitutes over the course of the marriage -- which by California law my husband was required to repay in full.  I had 78 text messages and 24 years' worth of bank statements to back this up, and the judge said it was "no different than if he'd spend his money playing golf" which is not what California law says.  He said all my proof was just "circumstantial evidence" (oh please, you'd flunk the bar exam with that response) and then that it was just my word against his and no judge would rule in my favor.  This was before my husband had even opened his mouth and denied a thing, so what he was really doing was signalling to my husband, right in front of me, that it's okay to lie under oath about this ... and in fact it would be fine to lie to the next judge, too, if the settlement conference was unsuccessful.

In the end ... I'd done hours of homework and preparation, and nobody ever looked at a thing I'd come prepared with.  He just sided with my husband on every last issue, without asking for a shred of proof from him.

I swear to God, it was like the "second rape" that used to happen when women used to try and press charges in court.  It was the exact same thing.  I have a settlement worth less than half what the female mediator had recommended, in our failed mediation.  My husband has five times as much as I have.  

Judge Hank Goldberg.  I have nightmares about him.  His previous career highlights included when he was a young prosecutor, he was on the team that somehow managed to blow the OJ Simpson murder trial.  May he rot in hell.

Last edited by walkbymyself (October 11, 2021 2:02 pm)

October 11, 2021 3:39 pm  #8

So sorry.   I advise against mediation if you can help it.   I think mediation is for when you are divorcing a normal moral person. I would not use the word normal or moral with our spouses.

It doesn't matter what he says or the mediator says. Just have your lawyer tell them no.  My divorce dragged on or over a year because my GX had to learn that how a divorce worked.  Neither side gets everything they want or expect.   It doesn't have to be that way but sadly these spouses lied to us for years..they have no problem lying and feeling entitled in a divorce.   The plus side is it doesn't matter what they think they are entitled to..they are entitled to what the law allows..   ie..they may get half the house, half a kid..but they are also entitled to half the debts.

Walk..so sorry.  I will say most  days not to have to look at or get screamed at by my angry GX is priceless..worth more than all the money in the world.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 11, 2021 5:47 pm  #9

walk, it sounds like one greedy rat was slipped something under the table by another greedy rat.  Am appalled but not surprised by corruption.

broom, am not a lawyer so not sure. Can you stop the mediation and switch to a straight out dissolution? You've got a bargaining chip and it may be time to cash it in for an uncontested divorce with a marital settlement agreement favoring you.  Pretend you're the narcissist and squeeze him dry for all the pain and anguish he caused you.  Who cares about him at this point?

My whole divorce was predicated on me not getting near my h. I was afraid of him physically injuring me; he was arrested for spousal terrorism a few months earlier. The guards outside my workplace saw him loitering across the street after the arrest.  I didn't want mediation for that reason. 

(My late ex-h must sound like he was an ex-gang member. Not at all. He earned his master's at UC Berkeley. I will poof this fact soon.)   The physical battery is not the usual stuff so it's not relevant to the board.  What's relevant is don't extend any favors to a liar and abuser. They'll use any means necessary to ruin you.  They are no different than an armed robber mugging you in a public parking garage at midnight. Read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker.

Last edited by MJM017 (October 11, 2021 5:49 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

October 11, 2021 5:54 pm  #10

So, I tried to get him to leave the house over the weekend but he won't budge. He said "I have a legal right to stay here. blah blah". So I tried to explain that I'm done and he shouldn't expect any effort on my part to make living together tolerable any longer.

I told the mediator today that I want to meet separately from now on. Then I gave him some messages to send along to my Ex. Reaching out to my lawyer after this post...

Each day seems worse but I know that this time next year will be different. No matter what happens, I will likely be on the other side of this divorce. I'm still hoping the mediation will work. We have 4 more visits to go.

@Rob - I understand what you're saying. I have a business that's tied to our home right now so I'm hoping I can get him to agree to something that will allow me to keep it for 2 more years. A judge would simply order that the house be sold. I'm getting my lawyer involved now. The situation has already dragged on too long.

@walkbymyself - What a horrible experience! Did the judge know about his sexuality? How are you doing now?? If you don't mind, I'm going to send you a PM. 

@MJM017 - I'm so sorry you suffered physical abuse. I hope you are doing much better now. Thanks for the advice. I was trying to keep things copasetic for the fact that we will be in each other's lives forever because of our child. BUT, it's clear I need to look out for myself. I will discuss dissolution with my lawyer.

Last edited by broomhilda2 (October 11, 2021 6:01 pm)

Board footera