OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2021 4:49 pm  #21

Re: Change is hard – The new OurPath name and other things

Here's more than anyone wants to know about tax-exempt charitable organizations 501(c)(3)  per the US Federal tax collecting agency - The Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/exemption-requirements-501c3-organizations

Very few religious denominations celebrate LGBTQ+ here. Am assuming SSN/OurPath receives close to 50% of their funding from not for profit foundations. These are funded by wealthy families & are mostly liberal (center to left-of center). Here's one I hear of often - The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation - since they sponsor US Public Television programs. (Public Broadcasting System or PBS for short)

https://www.macfound.org/

Am sure this is a repeat to those of us in the US.

Last edited by MJM017 (September 14, 2021 4:51 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

September 14, 2021 6:25 pm  #22

ah okay thanks Sam.  Is it new to have the 501(c)(3) on the front page, or have I only just noticed it.

Yes, I have always thought the forum to be a welcoming and well managed place.  

Elle, tbh I don't want to be an S in the alphabet either - we'd only have to split that into a number of letters too, S&M would then mean Straight and Monogamous.

all I really meant is I'm here too.

September 17, 2021 4:02 pm  #23

MJM017 wrote:

Am assuming SSN/OurPath receives close to 50% of their funding from not for profit foundations.

Just to be clear, SSN/OurPath receives 100% of its funding from individual donors. While some of the donations come in from names we recognize within the straights community, we don't know anything about most donors unless they offer that information up. Some of the older ladies who still send checks into the P.O. Box occasionally write nice little notes telling us that we helped them back in the day, and they're paying it forward. Most people donate online, and we have only as much information as they share with us. We do receive anonymous donations, and some in other people's honor. We've even had gay partners give because they're thankful for the help we gave their straight partners.

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

September 21, 2021 8:40 pm  #24

Thanks, Kel. I didn't know.

Thank you to the donors and the staff and volunteers!

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera