OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2021 8:28 am  #11

Re: Change is hard – The new OurPath name and other things

Sam, for me it's about definitions. I can use any word I like to describe myself, but when it comes to others, we need to be more careful. We are people and not just the 'spouse or partner of  <insert term here>". We are supposed to be the focus of the mission, not a side-story to the journey our spouses/partners or ex-'s are taking. There may not be a good one-size-fits-all definition for us. (For clarity - don't define us solely based on what our partners say they are.)

Last edited by Daryl (September 13, 2021 8:31 am)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 13, 2021 1:56 pm  #12

Gloria wrote:

Yes, Elle, you need to get used to our language and customs. The Kia Kaha that you use has three K's in it. I thought that you were in the Klan. I am mixed race so I was offended but I do know some about the ancient African American religion, hoodoo, so things will work to my advantage. Think before you type please. You were allowed to stay so maybe you will get the help that you need. Have a good day..

Lmao....what the actual fuck! Kia Kaha has 2 K's in it not 3. And here's a piece of education. I am a New Zealander, we are multi-cultural....Maori being our native language. " Kia Kaha " means " Stay Strong " in Maori, which I previously explained, and it's a phrase that belongs in the straightspouse's narrative.

While your post was initially offensive I realise you're hurting yourself. Maybe you need to think before you type, I haven't been allowed to stay............. I simply learned that to be a member here I had to accept we're not all the same

Elle

Edit by Sam (Admin): I just deleted the original post after it was flagged by another user and I agreed it was offensive. Not sure where it came from, but I did find it amusing she can't count to three......

Thanks Sam....but please don't remove her initial post in my reply to her. It gives other members context

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (September 13, 2021 2:16 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

September 13, 2021 2:22 pm  #13

Steve wrote:

Also is there anyone here who remembers the name Portia?

Portia (a lesbian) caused holy hell in the forum for months.

"Portia" was a handful. She had a transitioning partner but I can't remember which way the partner was transitioning. Posts were difficult to block on that forum, I did correspond with her by email, she would agree to behave and then go blow things up again. She finally begged me to find a way to block her because, she told me "sometimes I can't help myself".  I wound up blocking all posts from her employer, which was fairly large, and hoped nobody else who worked there needed us. She thanked me by email.

September 13, 2021 2:28 pm  #14

Deleted.

Last edited by MJM017 (September 13, 2021 4:42 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

September 13, 2021 2:38 pm  #15

Sam (Admin) wrote:

I did correspond with her by email, she would agree to behave and then go blow things up again. She finally begged me to find a way to block her because, she told me "sometimes I can't help myself". 

I was emailing her in the background too saying “Portia… you CAN’T come on the forum and say that!!!” When her bad behavior was pointed out to her she’d double down on it.

Oh Lord there’s been some characters in here over the years and judging by that last deleted post it appears there might still be a few

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

September 13, 2021 3:14 pm  #16

MJM017 wrote:

Maybe this will help, Elle.. (Will delete by 5pm PST.)

KIA KAHA                       

September 13, 2021 4:09 pm  #17

itsabouther wrote:

I dislike the new name. ... 

"A Straight Path"...maybe? I agree with much of your personal inner feelings about the change and do feel it takes who we were....straight...and steps us as a group back into the shadows.

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

September 14, 2021 3:13 pm  #18

It's not about a path Elle, it's about identity, a type of being.

I notice OurPath is registered for tax free donations - not sure if that has anything to do with the name change, from my limited knowledge, it is religious groups that get that 501(c)(3) rating.

So, all of that is fine.  And it reflects the roots of this site which is American Christian and I very much respect that, it's good to say who you are isn't it - but this forum is not about religion, it's not about a path, the commonality is of being straight spouses.

and it matters.  it matters.  when we were growing up I remember the braveness of those gay men and women who acknowledged they were different and the thing I heard that struck me was their saying you don't understand what it's like to be me.  Straight people don't understand what it's like for gay people,  

Fair enough, isn't it.  But wait, what about the bit where they go oh it's the same the other way round - gay people don't understand what it's like for straight people either?  

If we have an alphabet we have an alphabet and I want my letter in it too.  

The pain of a straight spouse needs to be acknowledged, it's a wake up call - like a hand touching flame, it's not their hand getting seared - to me it seems like a lack of empathy, the in denial spouse doesn't appear to hear a thing.

September 14, 2021 3:32 pm  #19

lily wrote:

from my limited knowledge, it is religious groups that get that 501(c)(3) rating.

So, all of that is fine.  And it reflects the roots of this site which is American Christian and I very much respect that,  

I believe you are in Australia? 501(c)(3) refers to a clause in the US Tax code that applies to all non-political non-profit organizations. It can include religious organizations and charities, but also any secular non-profit, be it a museum, local theater support, charity, service organization, or a secular support organization like SSN/OurPath. From it's inception, SSN never had a religious affiliation. If you don't pay income tax in the US it is of no help, but if you do, donations to a 501(c)(3) organization can be deducted from gross income for tax purposes. 

September 14, 2021 4:48 pm  #20

lily wrote:

.......If we have an alphabet we have an alphabet and I want my letter in it too..... 

Yes I wanted the letter 'S' in the soup too once upon a time. But I'm over being angry about the injustice of it all. I see the brave LGBTQ community everywhere while the straight partners/wives/husbands/boy & girlfriends stand in the shadows. As a section of society I don't believe we'll, at least in my lifetime, ever be loud enough and mostly we have to recover from the Mindfuck individually and for the most part unacknowledged. I care less about recognition these days. I have no fire in my belly anymore and just want my life letter-less

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera