OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2021 8:42 am  #91

Re: Amazing changes coming to SSN

deleted

Last edited by Lynne (April 1, 2022 1:07 pm)

September 10, 2021 12:32 pm  #92

Would heterosexual not cover all? As in the heterosexual partner of an LGBTQA+ person. I mean, I know exactly where I am with a heterosexual identity. That is pretty firm and safe ground, anything else is non-heterosexual. The semantic issues may be in the use of the term straight over the use of heterosexual. I have always thought that the use of the term “straight” comes with negative connotations inferring someone who isn’t is in fact “bent”. 

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

September 10, 2021 12:39 pm  #93

Sam (Admin) wrote:

Having been in all the discussions over the past 2 years, there are many reasons why the name change and rebranding was needed. One of the major reasons was anti-gay groups organizing "Straight Pride" marches. This gave the impression that SSN was an anti-gay organization and was hurting outreach and fundraising. I had many mixed feelings about the name change but came to the conclusion it was necessary. We're still the same organization.

This is understandable in the circumstances.

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

September 10, 2021 1:24 pm  #94

re the anti-gay straight pride marches - please don't tell me that means we can't call ourselves straight any more without being considered anti gay!

I have never seen anything homophobic here, to the contrary and I am wondering what you mean Sam, when you talk about an adverse affect?

OG, just read your posts - heterosexual has how many syllables in it?  inevitably it gets shortened to hetero and for some reason that gets conflated with masculine and I'd rather defend the term straight,  I do take your point that bent might not be considered as good but it's gay and straight that are the terms that have been used routinely.  Mind you there's a lot of in denial people who insist on calling themselves straight so maybe I should learn to use more syllables.  That would make this the heterosexual network - doesn't sound right does it...

Last edited by lily (September 10, 2021 1:34 pm)

September 10, 2021 3:40 pm  #95

Lily, 
As an organization, we have never condoned or permitted homophobia or gay bashing in any of our public or private online venues or affiliated local meetings or gatherings. It is a matter of perception by others who might otherwise fund us or refer those in our situation to us. I don't like that the term has been co-opted by bigots, and still refer to myself as "straight". Even though I divorced in 2002 and my ex died in 2012, I will always be a "straight spouse" although that is no longer a source of pain. I moderate this board to help those for whom that situation is still a big part of their lives. No matter what we call ourselves,  the need hasn't changed and our mission hasn't changed.

September 10, 2021 4:29 pm  #96

Part of the snap judgment may be the short attention spans of those who grew up texting.   I deal with young adults in my part-time business.  They don't answer emails which have more than a few brief sentences.  They prefer texting to get information right now.  My niece & nephew do this too.

As well culture wars and populism are here for the near future. Remaining sensitive to that will keep OurPath attracting people of all age groups who need support.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

September 10, 2021 5:14 pm  #97

Hi Sam,

I understand it is about perception - my question is more who is having an incorrect perception due to name, who is not referring people here and how does that even work - who refers people here at all?  

if we are being rebranded to join a group then why does that have to happen at the expense of the direct route via google and the term straight spouse.  When it was my turn to seek information online I wrote my question into the box - why do straight women marry gay men and the forum for the straight spouses network came up first - which I am so grateful for.

September 11, 2021 9:14 am  #98

Hi Lilly, if the Search Engine Optimization is done correctly on the website, OurPath should bubble to the top when searching terms, such as your example. It does take time for the web crawlers to build the index though, so a search today still brings SSN to the list. Searching "Our Path" brings numerous other 'Our Path' terms and sites at the moment. (Searching "ourpath' brought me to ourpath.org #1 and ourpath.net #2 - the .net site is an addiction help site.)

Last edited by Daryl (September 11, 2021 9:16 am)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

September 11, 2021 2:51 pm  #99

We've just made this site harder to find for a straight spouse and this is because of worrying about being misperceived as anti gay???

It leaves me wondering if we have been rebranded to fit in with a group?

September 11, 2021 3:09 pm  #100

Hi Lily,

Which group? I'm not following you.

I know you don't mean the unfortunate "straight pride" gang. 👎🏻

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera