OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2020 6:45 am  #21

Re: Covid19/Coronavirus

thanks Elle.  yes one little microbe has changed the world, hasn't it.  it is strange for all of us.

and finally something that demands attention beyond the split in the human psyche that is expressed in a MOM.  I don't see that term as a label - it's simply what it is, mixed orientation marriage.  

For me the pain of being in a MOM is receding into the past.  The consequences still hurt as much as ever but that scrudgy pain is gone, and went from day one of moving out.  I did 15 years sleeping on the sofa before I left so I know it goes beyond the bed.  It is the emotionality of a MOM - and it goes more and more toxic.  stopping the physical relations helped enormously but it wasn't until I moved into my own home that that pain and confusion of a MOM stopped.  

March 27, 2020 1:21 pm  #22

Lily,elleoh,

2 years on the sofa here * and i would do it again instead of sleeping in a bed with someone actively cheating and rejecting me ..but verbally saying "all is well what is your problem".

15 years is like a badge of honor that God will remember.

* (rollout mattress after 2 months..highly recommend the ikea
rollout mattress)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 27, 2020 1:39 pm  #23

All,

Just wanted to give a big sincere, remote, warm e-hug to folks going though this during this no social contact time.

I know when I was going through this a touch on my shoulder in church, because i looked that sad, was enough to make me cry. 

E-hugs here are remote and distant but sincere and authentic with well wishes and no hidden agenda.   Worth so much more than the fake ones these spouses give or withhold.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 27, 2020 1:58 pm  #24

Rob wrote:

Covid19 is a spoke in the wheel of my straightspouse journey certainly but  my approach all along has been to do it at my pace, which has meant sticking it out in the r'ship as it is today, taking full advantage of the easier life it represents. 
I imagine if I'd left him a few weeks ago I'd be away from family, perhaps on my own...and I deserve to be in a place I want, with the people & advantages close at hand that I choose. 
I imagine if he was a nasty person, continually putting me down, that I might feel different. But he's not, he's just..blah, beige,non-expressive mostly

KIA KAHA                       

March 27, 2020 2:02 pm  #25

Rob wrote:

.....Just wanted to give a big sincere, remote, warm e-hug to folks going though this during this no social contact time

Cheers Rob. I miss my grandson most
Warmth to you all. Stay safe, and  well but most importantly....be kind 

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

March 28, 2020 8:53 pm  #26

beware the blah!

It's what's beneath the beige exterior, or rather what isn't there - the most painful thing we straight spouses put up with imo is being starved of affection.  

I think it's a major factor in our loss of self worth, not just the blah sex.

they are talking about closing down the beaches here now.  like serious don't go out at all lockdown.  Hope that doesn't happen.  It's not like there's that many people on it and everyone is social distancing.  it's so nice to be able to go down there.  

March 29, 2020 1:25 am  #27

lily wrote:

beware the blah!...what's beneath the beige exterior, or rather what isn't there - the most painful thing we straight spouses put up with imo is being starved of affection.  
I think it's a major factor in our loss of self worth, not just the blah sex. 

There is no sex. My self worth took a leap forward when I said "no I don't want you" 

lily wrote:

...they are talking about closing down the beaches here now.  like serious don't go out at all lockdown.  Hope that doesn't happen.  It's not like there's that many people on it and everyone is social distancing.  it's so nice to be able to go down there.  

We are in a "don't go out at all except for essentials like local exercise, medical needs or to buy food" We have police patrolling our streets (unheard of!) The 1st death from Covid19 in NZ happened today. People are exercising with distancing, some aren't though

KIA KAHA                       

March 29, 2020 5:51 am  #28

yes I have followed your story well enough to know you aren't having sex with him any more.  My comment is that the loss of self worth we experience is down to more than the sex.  I definitely got better when I stopped sharing a bed with my ex.  But that isn't the whole picture, it is also the lack of affection.  You say you would feel differently if he were putting you down.  The way I see it, the lack of affection, it's not calling me names it was still profoundly putting me down.  

yes we have similar restrictions here.  I think New Zealand is in a good position having shut down so quickly.  You might be able to contain the outbreak of the virus.  let's hope so.

all the best everyone, Lily

March 29, 2020 4:22 pm  #29

We have been in full shelter in place since March 17.   I used to attend church daily to help heal, but those were closed on March 18. I am making do with YouTube, Netflix & waving at neighbors. Yesterday, we were told to exercise & shop only in our neighborhood. Otherwise, stay home. I don’t mind these precautions because they will save lives.

The lack of the tangible intangibles (like deep love, warmth, affection, respect, honesty) from GIDXH was heartbreaking.  He was faking it from top to bottom. I was not.

It’s wrong and immoral to know you are not straight & cover it up. That thought is accelerating my healing. I am thinking less of him.

I have a ways to go. I feel so much better lately though. I was hurting myself with the notions  society did this to him; it’s no one’s fault.  It was his fault.

Last edited by MJM017 (March 29, 2020 4:22 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

March 29, 2020 4:46 pm  #30

lily wrote:

yes I have followed your story well enough to know you aren't having sex with him any more.  My comment is that the loss of self worth we experience is down to more than the sex.  I definitely got better when I stopped sharing a bed with my ex.  But that isn't the whole picture, it is also the lack of affection.  You say you would feel differently if he were putting you down.  The way I see it, the lack of affection, it's not calling me names it was still profoundly putting me down.  , Lily

We're all going at this differently. I have noted a slight need for affection a couple times....like a back rub, a shoulder touch, a held-hand.......but I force myself into the present and think of what I gain by not going backwards. I did talk, a few weeks ago, about not wanting to turn into somebody who no longer felt the emotions I used to feel and that I worried I would no longer be 'me'.....but I realise I'll be different anyway I look at it and will still have warmth for those that matter

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera