OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2018 1:01 am  #11

Re: Midlife Crisis and Coming Out

Yes, it is confusing because most of us could never contemplate doing this to our spouse. It doesn't make sense to us and we spent many years thinking our partner always had our back. Then add the gay/bi or whatever aspect to it and wanting to figure that out distracts us from the truth. He cheated.

You shouldn't feel guilty over causing him pain by feeling your own. He is responsible for this, not you.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

February 2, 2018 8:05 pm  #12

Thank you everyone for your advice and insight.......               
                          i have read alot of posts on here and i guess i am lucky in the aspect that H has come out to me....i did not have to find out by accident or have him deny it forever and yes i believe that does help, H was also an emotional wreck for many months prior to telling me, i really think he is dealing with a severe midlife crisis more than he is dealing with coming to terms with his sexuality......even after telling me it has not really resolved all of his other issues like the depression, i asked if he felt like a weight had been lifted now that he told me and he said not really.
                     H said he has been trying to tell me for almost 2 years and that he wanted to tell me first before anyone else because he wants to make sure that i am ok, then he will get himself together, and then when he is happy and settled into his new life and comfortable he will tell other people because he said once he is happy he won't care what other people think......H said he will not push me out of our house or force a sale because he wants me to have time to heal and get myself together, i also suspect that he is not completely ready to sever our ties because he has always relied on me and i on him and i think he feels some sense of security knowing that i will still be there somehow, right now i feel the same way..... he will be the one to leave and is currently looking for an apartment close to the house so he can still come by to take care of the yard work and other things if needed......
                 H said he has never cheated and has never been with a man but he has had these feeling his whole life and just tried to stuff them down...said he never meant to hurt me and really thought he could go his whole life and be happy with me but things just changed over the years and life is short and he wants to see if he acts on these feelings then maybe he can be truly happy.......i don't know if H is seeing anyone steadily but he does text and talk to to people that i do not know and he did go to a movie with a guy, he told me about it and said it wasn't a date, (sounds like a date to me)  but just someone he is getting to know and enjoys his company.
            My life has changed so drastically in the past year and i can't even believe its real.....i feel i am doing ok considering the bomb that has been dropped on me, maybe it is because H is finally being honest with me? or because i went through the worst of my shock and grief last year when he dropped the first bomb on me, that's when he seemingly changed over night, turned into a monster and blamed me for everything, treated me like trash and basically rejected me and i was at such a loss as to know why, i lost 18 pounds and couldn't eat or sleep or breathe and he was leaving and he wanted a divorce, blah,blah,blah....that went on for 6 months then he calmed down..........i recently asked him why he calmed down and he said that he saw how it was killing me so he tried again to ignore his homosexual feelings but realized he just couldn't....now that he has come out it is clearer to me why he was the way he was, i am not mad that he betrayed me all these years because i know he did love me the best he could and didn't set out to hurt me....i am mad though over the fact he treated me like shit last year and basically blamed me for everything wrong in his life, however, i know now that that is classic midlife crisis behavior and even now he is still in it because we have talked and he still really can't apologize, not yet, he is still caught up in the narcissistic behaviors that go with the crisis............
        even though i know it is for the best i don't want H to move out....i am scared, scared to be alone and of feeling lonely, and i don't know what to say to say to people....just wondering how others got through those initial days of being left behind and how long did it take to feel safe and secure again??

February 2, 2018 9:23 pm  #13

I've always been comfortable with myself as my own company but I would suggest hobbies that occupy the mind as one remedy to feeling alone. Group hobbies or some sort of volunteer work - even better.

What do you say to people? I think it depends on who you are talking to. The closer they are to you the more unvarnished the truth should be in my opinion. I'm not saying you out him to one and all but you shouldn't lie to people you care about. For more casual acquaintances you could go with a more subtle statement along the lines that you no longer had the same goals and aspirations. The relationship wasn't working anymore and it was better that it ended.

As for the first few days or weeks - do something, redecorate, move the furniture. Take away the spaces that were 'his' that are now empty. If you need to - grab a friend and take a weekend getaway or go visit someone.

Whatever you do I suggest you not give yourself lots of time to sit around and dwell on him not being there. You will have those moments when you are sad, lonely or feel like crying (or screaming). Do so but tell yourself - I will allow myself X number of minutes, then I go do something else. Hang in there. Sometimes the unknown isn't as scary as we feared.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

February 2, 2018 9:57 pm  #14

You are spot-on that you husband went on a date even if he said it wasn't. At the end mine also was doing things like that - including lengthy conversations on his cell phone with men I did not know.. By the time he finally announced he was gay and wanted a divorce he already had his new life lined up. In retrospect he stopped blaming me only because he had already checked out of the marriage and had another support system.

I was devastated initially but three things helped me: a conversation with a woman the SSN connected me to who assured me that it was not my fault that "bi" was going "bye; my returning self-respect that said "If you don't want me I certainly don't want you" and finally, picking up a pamphlet at church written for widows on how to go on living when your love has died.

Right after his announcement I called an attorney I knew and she referred me to a very aggressive divorce attorney. When I told my husband who I had consulted he began to focus on the financial aspects of separate households and agreed to meet his obligations. For me that was a big step in my feeling safe and secure and it also gave me a sense of control over my future. It also established to my husband that I was going to be assertive when necessary.

Please don't be so concerned with propping him up emotionally because he now has others who are or will be doing that. Take care of yourself.throughout this time. Try to not think of yourself as being "left behind" but as being freed from his closet.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

February 2, 2018 10:25 pm  #15

I second what Abby has said.  "Don't be concerned with propping him up emotionally"; save your efforts for yourself.  He won't be worrying about you; don't waste your effort on him.  He's a lost cause. Now you're free from his closet. 
  You're scared.  Yes.  But you will meet the challenge.  And you will be fine.  To be free of a husband that can't love you will free you in ways you can't see yet.

February 3, 2018 11:41 pm  #16

Long story short my husband did the same thing. after being together since 1986  It started with am affair with a 20 year old boy 3 month seperation. Then 1 year separation. Now he is still confused and I have a choice continue living seperate and lying to all friends and family, formal separation agrreement  or divorce. My mother is in hospice. This past 1.5 years I didnt take care of myself. Im 80lbs and have barely any energy. We run a  business together. I am slowly dying and barely care. This is my last try. i was in therapy for a year. She said  he loved me to much and loved a committed relationship too much. No. He said he isnt coming back and wants another year. No  one knows we are even separated never mind he is 55 and dating 20 something boys. Therapist 1 started a vow of silence  that was never ammended. Im losing my mind. He keeps saying he misses our lives but actions say otherwise. Apologies for the typos Im so upset and alone.

February 4, 2018 9:55 am  #17

Thank you all for the advice,
              you are right,  i know i do need to focus on myself and my future.....now that all of the gay stuff is out H is not being mean or nasty, we had all of that last year when he was still hiding in his closet and blaming me and struggling with who he really is, i see that clearly now that all of that was about him fighting his own demons and self hatred.......i think that is why when he came out to me recently i don't feel as devastated and shocked as i would have been had i not already went through the worst of things last year..... to me the turmoil i suffered through last year, and H making me feel rejected on a daily basis was worse than finding out he is gay......i don't know why it felt worse but maybe its because i have the answers now to all of my questions of why? why? why?........i feel like a weight has been lifted.

H and i were friends before we got together more than 20 years ago and deep down he really is a wonderful, caring, empathetic person at heart......i know hiding his true self from me was terrible but i understand why he did it, and i try to put myself in his shoes as a young man realizing you might be gay in a world where you have no support and sometimes hear friends and family make cruel jokes about gay people....it must have been terrifying.

i feel as if what H does from here on out will really show his true character.......he knows he has hurt me beyond belief, and i will never be the same , neither will he.....i told him i want honesty now, no more lies and i feel he is trying, he said it is hard for him to discuss his sexuality and what he is going through because it is all new to him, and he has never allowed himself to act on these feelings before, he has been talking to a few guys and had one movie date but mostly he is home every night just like always.( as far as what he has really done with anyone else i really will never know).........H is looking at apartments and wants to move out which i agree with but i feel he is afraid of a few things........i think he is afraid of leaving the safety of our home and of having me as a partner, he has told me he knows he may never find someone else who loves him and has his back as much as i do and he knows he is crazy to give that up but he is gay, also H is surprised to see how much rental property cost, i currently budget our money all these years and he has had no idea what things cost, he has always just spent and bought whatever he wants without giving a second thought to the cost, that will change now....i also think he is suffering from depression and that is more of a struggle for him right now than dealing with the gay thing, and i think he wonders if being alone will really help him or not with that, he has had suicidal thoughts but tells me he is not suicidal.......i feel he wants to go but i see his hesitation, i am also sacred , and my heart will break when he leaves, but i feel i have a much clearer head than he does right now.

So like i said, i think what he does from now on will show his true character and so far he is being friendly and helpful and things are peaceful at home, and i can tell he wants to please me on some things and make sure i am ok, i know he feels bad, and he is no longer nasty and we don't fight....once he is gone i can then start to come to terms with things and hopefully move on with my life.

February 4, 2018 10:15 pm  #18

I think my husband did the same thing about acting horrible and picking fights, and I definitely think it was his own guilty conscience trying to justify his cheating. I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of seeing me hurting, but our daughter was home from college and he was an absolute monster to her. I spent the whole month of December thinking “this is the last time I will ever hang Christmas lights on the house” and “this is the last time I will ever decorate a tree in this house” and “this is the last time I will ever cook Christmas dinner in this house.”  I have told him that I’m going to see my sister and mother for Easter. I told him he’s welcome to join me (our daughter is also coming).  He made some excuse about working, but of course he’ll be out boozing with his friends.

February 5, 2018 8:29 am  #19

Walkby,
   I did the same at Christmas; decorated the tree knowing it would be the last time we would do this together as a family (our son always comes home, with girlfriend, to decorate) or cook a Christmas dinner for us.  When I undecorated the tree, I even sorted out ornaments into separate boxes, with his in his own box.  
   We had our 35th wedding anniversary last summer, and I made a vow to myself then: no more. 
   I am currently out of the house for 6 weeks, so will not be around for Valentine's Day--how glad I am!  For the first time in years I will not have to comb the racks of cards looking for a card that I could bear to give, one with no romantic message.  It will be a relief.  I'll buy myself a couple of good chocolate truffles and flowers (something he never did in 35 years, except once, last year, when he was in full out panic I might "out" him because I'd told him it was confining to live in his closet), open a good bottle of wine and sit in front of the fire to listen to Bonnie Raitt sing her song about being just fine but a little lonely (anyone have the title of it?).  
   Time to make new traditions.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (February 5, 2018 8:30 am)

February 5, 2018 1:47 pm  #20

OutofHisCloset wrote:

.....open a good bottle of wine and sit in front of the fire to listen to Bonnie Raitt sing her song about being just fine but a little lonely (anyone have the title of it?). Time to make new traditions.

Could be " I Ain't Blue" by Bonnie Raitt

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera