OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2017 10:51 am  #11

Re: She keeps hurting me

She has the kids right now at her parents place about 20 min away.  That is more because I am working this week and weekend. And because the kids are off for Christmas break.  Do we house share?  Does she need to find her own place or stay at family or friends?  I really don't think I should have to leave for my sleeps will be even worse if I stay in different beds.   

Thanks.

December 26, 2017 4:57 pm  #12

Do not leave. That could be considered abandonment. Besides that you have a legal right to stay.

Can you share? That's a personal question but it's not going to be pleasant if there's animosity. New house rules would be probably necessary. It's also going to impede your personal healing if you are in constant daily contact. If you are certain on separating I would get started on a separation agreement so that issues like this are no longer a question mark. If there's a financial reason to continue living in the same house, or it's pending some other transaction, then both parties have to agree to take the high moral ground on all daily life.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 26, 2017 7:26 pm  #13

Thanks.  Yes.  Financial on staying for sure.  I would say we are going to have to take the high road and suck it up a bit. We kind of have a schedule starting for being able to sleep in the same house. I just told my parents.  Went well.  Thought she was leaving me for someone in a band.  Very surprised on the gay part!  Fun!!!

December 26, 2017 8:07 pm  #14

Do see an attorney after the New Year so that you know what your rights are and do not do anything that is harmful to your interests. Having told your parents you have taken an important first step out of her closet and towards developing your future independent of her.

A year from now I think - hope - that you will be in a better place mentally. Life is a journey and yours is not over

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

December 28, 2017 4:02 am  #15

Count - well done.  It seems to me particularly difficult for men to voluntarily separate emotionally from their wife, even more than it is for us women, and in telling your family you have taken that first vital step.  I am confident this will set you up for a good future - if you let your wife call the shots it won't help anyone, but when you let go of her yourself it is healing for your heart.  

Breathe easy my friend.  It is good to be back on the ground again.

December 31, 2017 4:22 pm  #16

She is upset that I am telling close family members.  Says she is a sitting duck!  Keeps saying how dysfunctional I am and so on.  I know the marriage had some low points, and some high points. But come on.   I guess it is her way to cope?  Keeps texting me at work about things.  I am not the one coming out.  I didn't want this marriage to end.  The woman I married is so gone.  Harsh to face that to be honest.  It all just kind of sucks!!!!!

December 31, 2017 6:28 pm  #17

Sometimes you have to draw a line and I think telling lies to your family is a valid one. Try not to dwell on the 'rage-hurt' from her. It may be an attempt to wrestle back control or blame shift. Try to get through this and onward into 2018.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 31, 2017 9:33 pm  #18

yeah, she sounds upset.  Good for you, Count.  Let her comments roll off like water off a duck's back.  Don't let her turn it around.

It seems to me you are now seeing the real person who lives beneath the person you believed in.  The one who has entirely different thoughts to what you imagined, who has her own hidden feelings, who has not been honest with you, never was and still isn't now.

No really - sitting duck.  That sounds to me like she'd rather keep her position as married woman on the side while she gets on with her life as a lesbian.  It is very common for gay spouses to think like that but it floors me every time how selfish it is.  No care for the pain involved for anyone else just as long as they're comfortable in their closet.

January 1, 2018 5:03 pm  #19

Lily,  you essentially summed it up. 

She is finally being herself.  No more of this fun person of years past, but a darker more reserved more withdrawn type person.  It is almost like her voice is lower, at least different in a way now.    No make up So strange that someone was so lost for so many years, and hated herself and so on.   I have to be nice here for the kids, and I honestly hope she doesn't take everything that she can.  Very strange world.  Doing my best.  And she has entirely different thoughts on most things in this world.

January 4, 2018 12:40 am  #20

Count,

I stayed in the same house for seven months until it was sold.  It was difficult but I'm glad I stayed for my daughter and to keep some sort of normalcy for her. 
As for his news, I kept my ex's news quiet for my 14 year old daughter's sake.  She doesn't like talking about it and doesnt want anyone to know his news.  The part that annoys me is that he hasn't told his own family...yet our daughter carries the burden of knowing his truth.  They blame me for the divorce.  Karma for him is living with the constant fear of others finding out his news.  His paranoia is through the roof. 

Catherine

Board footera