OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2016 7:47 am  #21

Re: Cross dressers and transgenders

Dear FeelingCheated,
   I see myself in what you've written, and, I have to admit, myself not only in the early days (I'm now 19 months post trans-reveal), when I was still feeling gob-smacked and the whole deal seemed impossible and surreal, but even now, on the bad days. I know you need validation for your feelings, but you also need a way to regain your sense of self and a sense of control over a life that feels out of control.   Maybe this will help.

His cross dressing/transness has taken over your life and is tearing into your sense of self and your self-worth.  You need to establish some boundaries around yourself.  Asserting yourself will help you remember that you have agency, and acting will help you recover your self-respect. 

#1:  Tell him he is not to give you advice on what you wear or how you do your makeup.  One of the ways "he's hurt [you] deep inside, in places of [your] heart [you] didn't even know existed," is by appropriating for himself femininity (which he equates with "woman"), which, by extension, leads you to question your own status and worth as a woman. You might even, as I did, feel a soul-wrenching doubt in yourself as a woman, feeling that he's done this, become this, because you were "not enough of a woman" for him.  Even if this isn't the case, and you have a stronger sense of self than I apparently did, when he gives you "advice," he's claiming femininity and womanhood for himself, and you need to re-claim it for yourself.  I'll even venture to say that if he himself is not dressing-up these days, his giving advice to you is his coping mechanism, the way he handles the pressure of his compulsion to do so; in giving you advice he's turning you into his alter-ego or puppet, dressing you as a stand in for himself.  Put a stop to it.  (The only thing you want to hear from him about your clothing or make up is "You look terrific, hon!") 
    Tell him, categorically, that you have absolutely no interest in wearing his costumes (that's what they are: he's "dressing up AS a woman," play-acting), and that he has to get rid of the clothes he says he's not going to wear anymore.  Do this partly because for the same reason you don't want him telling you what to wear: not to be his puppet.  Do this also to make him put up and shut up. He says he's not going to dress anymore, so why does he need to keep the clothes?  Why force the issue?  Well, sorry to say it won't be a test of his sincerity, a test that if he passes by throwing out his clothes will demonstrate his seriousness about wanting to save your relationship and his devotion to you, and free you to stay.  Instead, it will be a move that will result in your getting a reality check: what you will see in his response to your request will tell you a lot.  I'm betting that he will give you some excuse for why he just wants to keep those clothes around.  Or maybe he'll toss them, but you'll find that later he's snuck them or others back in.  Or you'll see him find other ways to satisfy his compulsion. In order to see clearly, to see beyond your love for him, you need some reality checks, and this will be one of them.   
   Get back some control over your own life.  This situation has taken over your life, and to feel powerless and lost or manipulated is a terrible feeling and blow to your self esteem.  One way you can combat those awful feelings is to decide for yourself what your limits are.  What are you willing to put up with?  What is beyond your limit?  I decided early on that I could accommodate my husband's desires in bed, because those felt like sexual role playing to me, but that I wouldn't stay if he opts for hormones or came out publicly as transgendered, whether or not he "presented" in women's clothing or not.  To articulate for myself what my own limits were made me feel more in control of my own life, because I was making a decision and drawing boundaries.  I've since changed my mind about that; as I've seen how this condition takes over my husband's life, and how unable he is to look beyond himself and his need, and how his need drives him to justify himself and present his condition in ways that normalize it and rationalize his feelings, I know that I'm going to have to leave regardless.  I'm now in the process of figuring out how to get myself to do that--not just figuring out timing (I know what the optimal timing is in terms of finances and my life stage), but getting me past the ways I hinder myself, all those self destructive weaknesses that lead me to want to stay in the relationship.  This forum is helping: I read what others say and get reality checks, and when I write I get clarity and commit myself in writing where others can see it, and feel an obligation to do what I say I will.  I need that pressure to help me do it.  
  One thing I know, FeelingCheated: every day we stay is another day we spend in their reality and not our own. Feels miserable, doesn't it?  That is not love.  That is not life.  I for one look forward to the day that I never have to think about transworld again.  

Oh, boy, do I get that, the endless questioning of "am I staying or going?" 

November 5, 2016 5:19 pm  #22

Thank you OutOfHisCloset, you've Shown me ways of seeing my situation in a different light. My TG husband is seeing a therapist once a week right now. I know he's very depressed, he's always struggled with depression. But now I believe it's all due to him being TG. I don't think going to his therapist is going to solve anything. Even though he says he'll never transition or "come out" to everyone, I think he's not going to happy until he does. We have a blended family, 6 all together. Several know of his secret and they are not ok with it. Their ages are 23 years and up. He has said that he would never transition because he knew he would lose everything. Then a couple of the kids didn't really make a big deal out of it and I think that gave him some kind of false hope. He thinks they are ok with it. I told him they are NOT ok with it. He had surprised them with it and they just didn't really know what to say. He acts like I'm making it up. 2 of our girls are the last to yet find out. I don't want them to know - I never wanted any of them to know. It's so hard, and I see now that it's going to be hard for a long while. But I'm already feeling a lil stronger being able to confide on this forum. Thanks again for the reality checks!

There are moments which mark your life.  Moments when you realize nothing
will ever be the same and time is divided into two parts - Before this, and After this

November 6, 2016 1:21 pm  #23

FeelingCheated,
You are NOT alone sweetie, we are all exactly there: hurt, pissed off, scared, grieving. It's a real "mindf*ck" as they say. You are so far in your own head, spinning, questioning, flip flopping even with the most basic of issues. I see now how I really have been in a fog for at least 10 years. I spent an entire 2 years recently getting up in the morning, opening my eyes & saying "Fuck, another day. Please Lord, help me get thru this day". It felt as though I was bouncing off all the walls, in a fog. He of course was elated. I had no energy to put up a fight or demand more from him as a husband which he then used to his full advantage & went out more, bought more, chatted on line more, planned more. Nine of which included me or his male self. It sucks. It also doesn't get better or go away. They never stop entirely, they may take breaks to convince you & themselves, but there is no "rewind/reset" button on the TG/CD thing.  

get some help just for you. A therapist, not a joint one, just you. Find a good friend or family member you can trust. Chat with them & build some confidence back up. This secret affair of theirs will kill your soul completely if you hold it all in. Your conflicting feelings about him sound like "trauma bonding", Narcissistic relationship" & Stockholm Syndrome". Sounds all very scary, but to a lesser degree than what we see on the news about people being held captive for 20 yrs in some basement. You will see many similarities, which is why we bounce all over the place & why we need therapy, away from them.

My husband never offered me his clothes, in fact he would steal anything of mine he fancied. Make-up, jewelery, nighties, panties. Nothing is sacred with this asshole. I will have a burning of all "HER" stuff & mine that he "tainted" when we are divorced. metaphorically I will take back all my feminine energy & self that he has highjacked over 25 years, and start fresh. Kinda like a make-over.

Blessing
Sham

November 7, 2016 9:14 pm  #24

I plan on getting into seeing a therapist very soon. he is seeing his once a week now. we talked a long time last night about how miserable we both are. He says he isn't dressing anymore - I really don't know. Although from what I've seen on here they are usually lying. I let him know that I don't want him to offer me clothes again, or try to talk to me about his Friends. He's asked me to please be patient with him, I said I'd try. It's been since June 2015 that he "came out" with his feeling like he was a woman, it has been a long 1 1/2 years. I don't know why this past month or so that it has hit me so hard.  I guess I just can't keep ignoring this situation anymore. I've got to deal with it one way or another.  So far I'm not seeing anyone on here that has been able to make it work, which doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.  It's the holidays, and of course all of our adult children will be here will our Grandkids. One day at a time....

There are moments which mark your life.  Moments when you realize nothing
will ever be the same and time is divided into two parts - Before this, and After this

November 7, 2016 11:53 pm  #25

FeelingCheated,
There's no hurry at this point, enjoy your holidays with family and take back that time where it's not about him, his issues. And there are many women who do stay (on other forums), I was there too years ago. They all sound very defeated though. it then becomes a lifetime of acquiescing to pain & heart ache to support the TG. There is also the alternative of financially staying together, not divorcing, but not living as partners so much as roommates. The latter is basically what my husband & I have been living for the last 15 years and it proved to be lonely for me & a wonderful gig for him. But some women do make it work.

November 8, 2016 6:57 am  #26

Oh, No!  The dreaded "be patient with me"!  Took a little blow from reading that, because I have heard it from my husband several times now, right along with "I know I need to communicate better." But you know what? Nothing ever changes.  He doesn't talk unless I initiate, and it's never made clear what exactly I'm supposed to be patient about.  
    He's always relied on me to caretake his emotional life, to initiate the conversations, to read his moods. What CajunBelle said on another thread rang true for me: I was trained to believe that subordinating my needs to others--particularly to the man in the household--was my role and that acting on my own behalf was selfish.  In addition, because I grew up with a father who was manic-depressive and unpredictably violent, I learned to be very, very good at reading moods and at placating. (And I was trained to do this by my mother.) I've spent my life trying to get out from under that.
    I'm trying now with my husband to get some emotional distance, to stop engaging with his drama, to stop eliciting and participating.  This has upset the domestic apple cart, of course, because when one person in a marriage or family shucks off his or her "designated role" in the dynamic, others are upended, and resentful, and want you to keep doing what you're doing, and they keep doing the things that have worked to get you to occupy that role in the past, because they need you for their own reasons to fulfill that role.
   My husband has said, after conversations I have initiated, "be patient with me," but he never follows up.  When three weeks ago I spent the weekend at a friend's who was out of town, he said he wanted to use the time to "figure out what I want from you," but has never followed up. (And that he put it that way was so telling: "what I want from you."  Told me all I needed to know!)  His "I'm going to have something to tell you about what I want from you" now hangs over the household, and he's waiting, I have no doubt, for me to now say, "What did you decide, dear?" because that will make me the initiator: I'll be the one soliciting from him the obligations to which I'll then be subject.  Well...eff that!
    Over the summer when I was away for six weeks, he wrote to say he was working on a long letter and to "be patient with me," but ten days passed, and nothing, until I wrote to say, "wtf?" and then got a short missive that was again a temporizing "I've been so depressed; be patient with me." I've decided these teases are designed to get me to extend myself, provocations to me to caretake him, ask him how he is, what he's thinking, invite him and his condition to be, as usual, the focus of my emotional energy and my role to be the one who figures out how to alleviate his stresses and accommodate his needs.  But I've decided I'm done taking my husband's emotional temperature. "Be patient with me" in my house means nothing more than "I feel bad, so do what is needed to make me feel better, don't ask me any hard questions, and don't ask me to change my behavior." 
   As for their depression...they think they're depressed because they can't get what they want.  They can't crossdress around us, or we don't offer them the validation they crave from crossdressing, and so they blame us or the world's prejudice for their unhappiness rather than the mental condition that drives them to find their sexual pleasure in the idea of themselves as women.  In my husband's case, he's decided he can't ever come out, because he was "born too early" (unlike today's young genderqueer or transgender people who fearlessly become what feels right to them) and because he doesn't have the "androgynous look" that would enable him to pass.  He's displaced his shame and fear onto society and onto me, and resents us, rather than admitting he can't for whatever psychological reasons do what he wants to do.  (If you want to know what it's like to be woman, I think, to have your status as a woman called into question every day, try living as a fat, old, ugly woman! A lot of us do this every day, and learn to thrive, but of course real life as a real woman is not what's attractive to him; what he wants is some fantasy of living a life as a coy, seductive minx.)  So he lives in a state of existential unhappiness.
    I outright asked him, over the summer, whether he thought he could ever be happy, given what he's told me, that even if he does what he wants to do, to feminize himself via hormones and dress unfettered at home and under his men's clothing (the women's undies under men's pants deal), every time he looks in the mirror he sees the jarring reality that he is not a woman but a man dressed in women's clothes, that even if he could pass as a woman, he knows he isn't one.  I never got an answer to that question: do you think, given those realities, that you can ever be happy? I've asked him twice, months apart, and nothing.  'Be patient with me," I imagine he'd say if I asked again. 
    I wanted to know because at the time this seemed like important information for me in deciding whether I wanted to stay in the marriage, important to the possibilities of my own happiness.  Being married to someone who can never be happy doesn't make for a life I want to live.  No one of us can know we'll ever "be happy," but it does seem to me that there are conditions for happiness, and the most important of those conditions is our ability to act on behalf of our own happiness, to pursue it, if you will.  But he'll never feel free to pursue his happiness, and even if he did come out, he will never get what he needs to be happy--he'll always be aware he is a femininzed male/man, not a female/woman --yet the urge to be female and a woman--will never leave him.  
   Even if I were ok with the crossdressing--which I'm not--even if I were ok with subordinating my sexual orientation to his in bed--which I'm not--even if I wouldn't mind seeing my male husband feminize himself with hormones--which I'm not--I can't see spending the rest of my life married to someone who knows he can't ever be happy and asks me to share his unhappiness and trim my own sails to the winds of unhappiness.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (November 8, 2016 7:05 am)

November 8, 2016 11:04 pm  #27

OutofHisCloset wrote:

and asks me to share his unhappiness and trim my own sails to the winds of unhappiness.

Beautiful OOHC. Isn't that the truth? The guts of it all to me, at least what is hitting me square in the heart right now, is that I have trimmed so damn much of myself over the last 25, to further his spirit & carreer, and my famiiliy's, that now that they are all done with me, my role is discarded and  haven't a clue who I am with the little remnants that are left after so much clipping.  

Shithead got an apartment today. Downtown where he can walk around as his femme self anytime he pleases. His phone is ringing off the hook & I can tell by this end of the conversation they are all happy for him. The calls are from his fellow TG's who I suspect think I'm the bitchy wife who didn;t let him have enough fun and also his family, who also thinks I'm the bitchy wife who didn't let him have any fun. His family has NO IDEA who he really is, so they have the luxury of naivety. I still have not gotten one phone call from any of them to see how we are doing. I give the men a pass on this one because they have no clue how things get done, but the women all realize all those flowers/presents/cards/phone calls were all initiated or orchestrated by the broad in the house right? Their dumbass sons wouldn't know how to lick a stamp, but now I'm suddenly non-existent. My asshole GIDTGNARCSTBX has completely wiped out my entire life. And he's happier than a pig in shit. Chatting with the kids about how he got a 2 bedroom so they have a place to sleep, yet he is only taking one bedroom of furniture because he plans on using the second bedroom as a |dressing room". Can u fucking believe it?!

And Donald Trump is leading. The world is fucking insane.

Thanks for letting me rant. Tmrw's another day right?

Sham

Remember how nice & uncomplicated life was before you knew? I'd give anything to be my 29 y/o self. 

Last edited by whatasham24 (November 8, 2016 11:06 pm)

December 6, 2016 1:22 pm  #28

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Sun,
 I realized that I never answered your question.  What do I think my husband is fantasizing about when he's cross dressed and/or engaged in acting out his fantasy of being a woman?  He's told me.  He is imagining himself as the woman he would like to bring into being through his acts, the one he fantasizes about being.  Note: This is different than "the woman he knows he is inside."  My husband has never said he "is" a woman; what he's said is that he has a vision of the woman he would like to be if he were a woman, and by acting out and dressing up, he is "bringing her into being."  He feels sexy when dressed in a chemise, and vamps, because acting that way makes him feel closer to his ideal (because that's what he thinks makes him more like a sexy woman).  
  Sorry for this next, which is maybe too graphic, but it answers your question:  He also fantasizes during sex that he has a female body, and is feeling the sexual response a female does, and experiencing sex the way women do. He has told me he imagines the glans of his penis is a clitoris; he imagines his "breasts" are a woman's; he thinks being penetrated is giving him a woman's experience of "being taken" and "giving herself up."  
  I don't think, by the way, that he's perverted.  I think that for whatever reason--a physical condition in the brain, maybe caused in the womb during development--this is natural to him, his natural sexual orientation.  My objection to it is not that it is disgusting or shameful; my objection to it is that it has opened a rift between his sexuality and mine.  I am not prepared to think of him as a woman or to treat him as if he were one.  I am not opposed even to participating in his fantasies in bed, but I am increasingly dissatisfied that he cannot act as a male/man to me in bed.  His sexuality and mine overlap, but they don't match.  Every straight spouse, whether married to a GID or a TG, knows what it feels like to suddenly know that one's mate, one's intimate partner, has a sexuality unlike your own, and unlike that you always believed your partner had.  I'm all for gender bending, would have no objection to any of the acts--what I object to is that he genders them, rather than ungenders them!  AGPs aren't in any sense "exploding the gender binary"; they're embracing it from the other side.  
  Ok.  My two cents worth at the end of a long work day. 

Thank you for this comment. I am new here and my mind is running away with me and I wish I could offer advice to those in this forum but this is all new to me. If you have time, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on my first post here as it seems to be relevant. http://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=477

December 6, 2016 2:43 pm  #29

AM,
 I sent you a private message.  I don't know if you've figured out yet that you have a mailbox here--at the top of the page you'll see an icon of a letter with the word "inbox."  You should have a number (1) there, indicating that you have a message.  
  You can also search for commenters (or subjects), and I would recommend searching the posts of all of the women on this thread, because we're all in the same leaky trans boat.  You can do the same with subjects, which you can identify through the threads on which the commenters posted, also using the search feature. 

December 6, 2016 9:20 pm  #30

My story is very deep and complicated.  To get to the point I spent the last 3 yrs in a relationship with a man who supposedly worshiped me. Expressed his love and actually did try to repair our damaged relationship. I was not present for many reason especially after I found out he was cross dressing and having numerous sexual encounters with tranny's and other CD's. Found websites all dolled up in wigs and heals...the works.  Seeking all sorts of sexual shit BDSM too. Saw explicit videos, photos, emails, posts, adds he put up...ALL OF IT.  Been doing this for years apparently. I caught wind not long ago and he said he would stop. Actually caught him 3x. Obviously couldn't stop. He said it was just 10% of him I was the other 90%. Had no idea of how deep he really was into this. Created a whole personality, name etc in my imagine. He wanted to look/be like me....creepy.
Well... he killed himself in my home 2 months ago and left notes saying it was because I didn't love him enough or try harder...WTF !?!?!? Who was I supposed to love? Him or her? I never made our split up about this. I didn't want to place that type of judgement. I tried to handle with as much grace as possible but mind you I didn't know the extent at the time. It's only after his death I am seeing all this stuff.
It is killing me, I am tormented by this and just want to SCREAM!!!.  I can't confront him like I want to.
I want answers. I feel so deceived. I am so lost. I was hoping for a support group of other woman in this position. Kicker is when we had sex it was incredible. He was a very sexual man as you can tell and very
talented.  I wish I never watched these videos he took of him self and the "others". I am losing my mind and need help.  Please someone offer advise

Last edited by Jennifer65 (December 6, 2016 9:25 pm)

Board footera