OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2018 6:35 pm  #51

Re: Anyone have experiences with staying together?

Wifeofabiman wrote:

Thank you for sharing the Facebook link. My faith is one thing that I have been struggling with. I want to honor God first, and I hope that in the decisions I am making I will.

That was something I began to grapple with before my husband came out to me. I just believe that God's Grace and Love is enough to cover a multitude of sin. Brian will have to make peace with God himself as do I. We will, at some point in the near future, exit our Pastorship as our church strongly teaches against any form of sexual relationship outside of one man/one woman. We will find a Affirming Church that we are comfortable with and attend as parishioners. I still have a deep and abiding faith in God, but some of my personal views and convictions have changed over the years. My goal is tto seek the Word and God for myself and nor for what others tell me it should be. Sometimes, it is a lonely place to be.

September 3, 2018 7:21 pm  #52

Haven't been on here in some time. Have been very busy with work and family, church things. and my husbnd is still recovering from his last stay in hospital. We met with our Church Board 2 weeks ago and handed in our plans for retirement from active ministry by the end of this year. We have not shared with anyone outside of our oldest daughter as far as family or friends, church, etc. We love our church family deeply and have no wish to hurt them. We don't want to do anything that may cause a negative impact on the church itself. We both have serious health issues and have been discussing our retirement for a year anyway so it just seems that it is the right time. We have begun searching for an Affirming Church and visited one a couple of weeks ago and the people were very kind, but it seemed to be more of a Gay Church than just a church. We are not wanting to immerse ourselves into a church or lifestyle that teaches about "Gay Doctrines," so to speak. We want to attend a church where we can hear true Bible Messages and be involved in Worship of God. We want to be accepted in society not withdraw from it. It all must seem rather odd to some people, but I do believe that there is room at the Cross for people like us. I still believe that God is merciful and loving. I believe that His grace encompasses so much more than we as mere humans can understand. I wish people were as loving and kind! Our 18 year old grandson confided that he too is bisexual or half gay as he laughingly put it, and we have shared with him his grandfather's SSA. He is open with his girlfriend about it and they seem to have an understanding relationship. They have been dating for 2 years and friends longer and are committed to each other. He says he would never think of being unfaithful to her and if he ever feels that he wants to explore the other side he will tell her. I think this generation is much stronger and more mature than we give them credit for. My greatest hope is that we can all continue working on our family and our relationships together.

September 3, 2018 8:11 pm  #53

Brian'sGirl wrote:

Haven't been on here in some time. .

Good to see you again It's a long road we travel...and yes, if I'm honest, your focus & emphasis on all things Church to see you through this.....does seem odd to me, but that's because I don't have a religious bone in my body! 
That said....we both you and I..deserve peace of mind from the heartache
and there is more than one way to find it

Luck to you both

KIA KAHA                       

September 3, 2018 9:39 pm  #54

Brian's Girl: 
   So you are happy to condemn your grandson's girlfriend to a life of wondering if and when her husband will decide that his desire for men will surface.  If your grandson has any integrity he will let tell her now that he is not the man for her.  

September 4, 2018 7:17 am  #55

It’s a long road being in this position, one of the difficulties we all face is a loss of partner.
Hard thing to address is the female attire he wants to wear, find anxiety when see him in any female things such as female boots, tops that look like I would wear being female.
Does any one else find this uncomfortable,prefer not to see him in female clothes.
Thanks  (

September 4, 2018 10:22 am  #56

I used to attend a very conservative church (non-denominational, but very close to Southern Baptist), but left to find a more progressive church.
What I found during my search was that many churches were "welcoming" but not necessarily affirming. In other words, they wouldn't kick someone out because of their lifestyle, but they may limit the manner in which that person could serve. They made gay individuals sign a letter of celibacy or something of that sort because while they were "welcome" their desires/lifestyle was still seen as a sin.

So, I think that before you can find a church home, you need to sort out what you believe. Is homosexuality a sin? Is sex outside the marriage a sin? What if both partners are okay with it? Is it still a sin then? 

I know the United Church of Christ is an affirming denomination and has worked diligently to use gender neutral terms, etc. However, it wasn't for me. I landed at a new church in our area that is part of the United Methodist Church. The congregation is wonderfully diverse and includes quite a few same sex couples, but it is not a "gay" church. The pastor there is open about what is happening within the denomination. He is open about the fact that he cannot perform same sex marriages - at least not yet.

I searched for about 2 years before I found this place. (It is less than a year old, so it wasn't even in existence when I started searching.) 

Anyway, all this to say that there is a church out there for y'all. it just may take some time to find it.

September 4, 2018 11:02 am  #57

Brian'sGirl wrote:

Our 18 year old grandson confided that he too is bisexual or half gay as he laughingly put it, and we have shared with him his grandfather's SSA. He is open with his girlfriend about it and they seem to have an understanding relationship. They have been dating for 2 years and friends longer and are committed to each other. He says he would never think of being unfaithful to her and if he ever feels that he wants to explore the other side he will tell her. I think this generation is much stronger and more mature than we give them credit for. My greatest hope is that we can all continue working on our family and our relationships together.

I will admit, though, that this struck a nerve. Do you know for a fact that he has told her or did he just tell you her told her? if he did, did he tell her in a way that she would believe him? Or did he say it to her half-jokingly the way he did with you so that she would just laugh it off? My spouse is trans (so not gay or bi), and before we were married, she told me that dressing up was something she used to like to do when she was a little boy (like 2 decades earlier) and that she hadn't done it in a long time. Naturally, I blew it off. Well, 20+ years later, I'm wishing I hadn't.

Also, never thinking of being unfaithful to her and exploring that side of himself are contradictory, and if he is already thinking about how he would handle speaking to her about exploring that side, then he is already thinking of being unfaithful to her (or at least feels it is a very real possibility) at some point down the road.

Please encourage him to make sure she understands exactly what his being bi means. Actually, maybe he should even think about "exploring" that side now before he goes any further with that relationship.

Again, I'm sorry, but this just struck a nerve. If my daughter told me her boyfriend confided in her that he was bi (or was a crossdresser), I would encourage her to get out of the relationship as fast as she can. These desires will not go away and will likely become more stronger as they get older. By all means, remain friends if you like, but don't pursue a romantic relationship.

For those who want/need to stay in a MOM for whatever reason, I get that, but I hope and pray that as same sex attractions and gender dysphoria becomes more accepted that there will be less need for these (mostly) men to hide in a closet and therefore, the number of women who get dragged into a closet will decrease as well. Being married to a closeted man is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Please make sure that young woman is going forward with her eyes wide open. He owes her at least that much.

September 4, 2018 4:23 pm  #58

Kristine777 wrote:

...Does any one else find this uncomfortable,prefer not to see him in female clothes....(

Hey across the ditch   

My partner admitted to wearing stockings & panties (but no outer clothes as such) and reveling in the fantasy. It made me feel uneasy.
The thought of him chatting with another similarly-dressed man made me cringe

KIA KAHA                       

September 4, 2018 5:34 pm  #59

In fact my stbx's practice of wearing women's "morning lounge clothes" was the straw that really broke the camel's back of our marriage.  He had already told me that because dressing in women's clothes was a sexual turn on for him, he could confine it to the bedroom and to our sex life.  I found seeing him in women's lingerie difficult enough in the bedroom, but I did my best to quell my discomfort by telling myself is was "just" sex play.  When he pushed our agreed on boundaries by extending his dressing to the living room every morning (especially as he'd let me know he was sexually excited by wearing women's clothes) I was extremely uncomfortable.  I think I wrote somewhere on this site it felt as if he was having a morning-after-sex tete-a-tet with his lover.  When I confronted him about what he'd said about keeping it in the bedroom, he said he'd begun dressing in the morning in hopes of gradually getting me accustomed to it.  That he was deliberately manipulating me was even worse than his violating our agreed on boundaries and a bigger deal breaker than my discomfort at seeing him in women's clothes outside the bedroom.  Soon after this argument I moved out of the bedroom, and knew it was only a matter of time before I announced that I was done. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (September 4, 2018 5:39 pm)

September 13, 2018 9:25 pm  #60

I am not condemning anyone to anything. I am only aware recently of my grandson's SSA because he and his girlfriend are not afraid to speak openly to my husband and I.They have a good relationship and discuss issues they face  with each other as well as with us. They are both good young people, hold down jobs, and completing Senior Year of High School. They are young adults and whle we can advise, share our thoughts, they must choose their own paths. It may not be a path I would have chosen as a young person, but times are quite different and this younger generation seems to be better equipped at handling these things. They are certainly more open than I was as a young person. Don't know where you came up with the crossdressing thing. I never said a word about that. My grandson is not a crossdresser.

Last edited by Brian'sGirl (September 13, 2018 9:27 pm)

Board footera