OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2017 11:24 am  #11

Re: My wifes sexuality is in question

I can totally relate. For a while there I was also getting lots of justifications like- this is different because it is with a woman or having open relationships is the norm in some places or do you know at one point it was totally normal for women to be laying with each other.  I would just respond by saying the end result of your actions are the same regardless of if it is a man or a woman or we don't live on those societies or how do you think those other women feel when the their partner chooses someone else over them to have sex with or be with. She thought it was more common for women to have this issue than men so I couldn't understand. On and on it went.   It might come down to her asking you, "What do you want me to do?" I encourage you strongly to not fall into this trap. It is not up to you to tell her what she should so. It is unfair and puts you in a place to be resented and/or blamed.  You can tell her what you want but that has to be for you.  I told my wife how much I loved her and wanted to be with her- work on things in our marriage but I think she would need to take a break from the other woman if we were to really work on things.  She got so upset at me and tried to turn things on me by asking now in a harsh tome..so OK what is your plan for counseling. It was like we needed a specific detailed plan even though she could not make a decision herself about an extremely complicated situation. It is only in the last day or so I think she realizes this dynamic does not work. We have tried to have sex but she says she thinks she is more attracted to women right now. She told the other woman she needs a break but wanted to wait until December to start because she didn't want to break plans with her..what?  It is crazy!  I say all this to say to you- Hold on to yourself and do not let her try and have it both ways.  Also finding a good therapist is helpful as they can make sure you are working on helping yourself and look out for your own needs and the needs of your kids.

November 2, 2017 11:45 am  #12

tompetty781 wrote:

It might come down to her asking you, "What do you want me to do?" I encourage you strongly to not fall into this trap.

I got that question..   My response:    "you made vows when you married me..  live up to those vows!   If you can't, then leave."

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 2, 2017 3:32 pm  #13

I like that quote Phoenix. 

​Next time something comes up and she uses that on me I know exactly what I am going to say. 

Update on my situation though - 

​Things seem to still be moving down hill pretty quick. The two women pretty much spent the last two days playing tennis and stuff together. Even doing one specific thing I asked her not to do which was go somewhere not public. Being her sons apartment for 25 minutes to " walk his dog". 

​Now their actions could very well be innocent, they claim they are trying to be " just friends "  and being respectful but I truly don't believe anything that comes out of her mouth at this point and the only reason I knew she was there in the first place is because of the location services on my wife's phone. 

​I also spoke with the other husband today, we were all kind of mutual friends before this but we never really spoke on the phone. Me speaking with him has always been a source of anxiety for my wife but this morning I think I finally know why. He is unaware that they are even seeing each other and that the relationship already moved to a physical relationship. Poor guy is living in the clouds as his wife is telling him that she is actively trying to work on their marriage.

November 2, 2017 7:56 pm  #14

There's quite a bit of truth in the saying to judge people more by their actions than by their words.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

November 3, 2017 6:08 am  #15

Codie,
 Cheating is cheating, whether same or different sex.  If your wife had an affair with a man, and then wanted to continue seeing him but insisting that it was on the basis of friendship, you'd say she wasn't demonstrating that she was serious about wanting to stay in the marriage.  People who cheat who want to reconcile need to demonstrate their remorse with actions that demonstrate it.  Your wife is demonstrating her contempt.  As Daryl says, "there's quite a bit of truth in the saying 'judge people more by their actions than by their words.'" 
 I hope both you and the "other guy" have already contacted lawyers. 

November 4, 2017 6:33 am  #16

Well I will try and keep you all updating on my journey. 

​The wife and my 5 year old son went out of town today to see a close family friend who knows what has been going on. It will probably be a small reprieve for me the next few days since just being around her has been super difficult for me to cope at the moment. She pretty much walks around the house when she is home acting like nothing has ever happened and everything is normal. Obviously there is no intimacy at this point, but conversations, dinners, etc. are just about normal. I love you has been a difficult thing for her to say lately as well. 

​My wife's mother who happens to be my biggest supporter in all of this wants me to concentrate on myself, get back to doing things I enjoy like sports, gym, etc. and stop worrying about her. Nothing I can do or say at this point will be able to sway her mind in either direction and if anything I will just push her further away, but she is still " very confused " about what she wants or thinks she needs at this point. But then knowing she speaks to this other woman constantly leads me to believe she has already made her mind up and just doesn't want to make any moves right now simply for convenience factor and she wants to ride out the holidays when the other woman said she might leave her husband.. I don't know, its all so messed up and confusing for me to.  

​In my opinion that's bullshit, you either love me or you don't, its pretty cut in dry in my view, but again I guess I am not going through a sexuality crisis so it may be easy for me to say.

​Again, I may be holding on and hoping for nothing. I know that you all have been through this before and have probably seen this all before but I don't think I can throw the towel in on my marriage just yet. She did ask me for time on multiple occasions to seek out therapists and to try to figure out where her head is at and unfortunately me being not very patient I have pushed through out all of this and maybe driven her away more.. Or maybe that's just me over thinking it, I don't know.. So I am going to continue down this path a little longer, I am trying to come to terms with the fact that she is most likely going to leave me in the end but if I don't give it this one last go I think I will have regrets for the rest of my life if I did not. 

​So...... That is where I am at right now, stay tuned.

November 4, 2017 9:15 am  #17

I'm glad you're not throwing in the towel yet.  I think that shows good character on your part.  It's something you will be proud of later on in life as well. 

I didn't actively want my divorce until it was over.  I tried to convince her to stay and find a solution for about 3 months after disclosure (about half-way through the divorce process).  I finally gave up when she continually rebuffed my attempts.. and then she actually starting being hateful and rude to me.  Even though she was actively having an affair I was still trying to win her back.  Because of this she had become so ashamed of herself that she villianized me to make herself feel better.  She came up with some awful and hurtful things and she actively tried to hurt my feelings..  so at that point I finally quit actively trying to win her back.  I still didn't desire divorce, but I accepted it and quit trying to prevent it because it only brought me more rejection and pain.  

I gave it my all.  I tried everything to preserve my marriage.   Today I look back and I feel good that I did give it all that I could.  I can tell other people honestly that I tried my best to save my marriage.   

The flip-side of this argument is this:
Trying to keep my marriage did make it more difficult for me.  It prolonged and increased the pain I felt.  It made the scars deeper and more pronounced that they would have otherwise.  It would have been more emotionally healthy for me to detach quickly.  It would have been much easier if I had wanted to get a divorce.   

I think you will experience this in a very similar way to how I did.  Your love for her, your commitment to your family and marriage, and your good character will make this more painful for you, but later in life you will be proud of yourself and you'll be a stronger and better person for it. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 8, 2017 3:33 pm  #18

So I guess I will provide an update of sorts.. 

My wife and the other woman have decided to call it " quits ". 

​I have spoken to my wife and the other woman and they both assured me ( for whatever their word means at this point ) that their relationship is over in a " lovers " aspect and that they are both going to commit to marriage counseling and seeing if their marriages are salvageable after all the damage they have created.

Unfortunately ​I do kind of question their commitment especially since one of their main concerns is their ability to remain as just friends. Obviously I have my concerns about that and the fact that I think they will relapse but suppose I am willing to explore it a little further rather than just continuing in this floundering state. 

​Of course there are all sorts of things coming up from my wife's past now. Things that have to do  within our relationship and outside.. 

​One major aspect is that she now says she has always had anxiety towards me, especially when I am loving or intimate towards her. Kind of a hell of a thing to bring up after being in a relationship for eighteen years but I guess you have to start somewhere.. So we are going to seek out counseling separately and we have marriage counseling scheduled in a few days to see if we can work out things to continue with in our marriage.. 

​I know my wife's past was filled with quite a bit of relationship trauma, so I am going to try and have patience and let this play out just as long as they don't break my trust moving forwards.

November 8, 2017 3:43 pm  #19

Hey Codie
My wife gave me similar "feedback" when I went to her therapy session with her. It is so hard to hear someone telling you they don't want to be intimate with you or they have been feeling unsure for a long time. I heard there was not enough sexual tension in our marriage. I pointed out how distracted my wife gets especially when she was highly anxious before medication. She is also taking a break from her friend who she loves in order to get space and clarity. I am skeptical. After therapy it seemed clear my wife has a narrative she wants validation on without exploring the sea change she could possibly be bringing about with her actions. Being wary is not such a bad thing is all I am saying.

November 12, 2017 3:23 pm  #20

Update on my situation.. 

​My wife and I had a talk on Friday about what her commitment levels where to our counseling and our path forwards together since I saw a change in her attitude towards me.

​Her response was " she cannot be committed to me and we are not going to work out, due to the fact that she is unable to forget about the feelings she has for this other woman and that she is willing to take the risk of sacrificing our relationship to potentially pursue one with the other woman ". 

​We spoke for about two hours, our relationship, my feelings, her feelings and so on. She says she still loves me, but only as a brother and there were no romantic feelings left. 

We ended up saying that we are going to separate, not exactly sure as to how we are going to do so just yet but she was supposed to move into the spare bedroom the next day and we were going to take things slow through the holidays for the kids.. 

​Well as you can imagine this news has pretty much crushed me. I woke up the next morning ( Saturday )  to see her leaving for work and of course she was wearing something that I liked seeing her in and sent me down the emotional rabbit hole. 

​I ended up deciding I can't take being around her and I will never be able to heal with her living here, so I told her that she needed to find a new place to stay. We have quite a few friends in the area and we can easily afford for her to rent an apartment some where while still maintaining our mortgage. 

​She agreed to do so but obviously needed to stop by and obtain some things. I only saw her briefly as she passed by as she stopped home to pick some things up and asked me to not to do anything rash like visiting a divorce lawyer or anything just yet.. 

​Its been a tough two days though. This has been someone I have cared deeply about since I was 16 years old, I don't know what to do with my self. Not knowing she is ok, or where she is,  is probably the hardest aspect of all of this.. We have lived together for 12 years and we probably only spend 5 days apart at most a year.. 

​I also took it upon myself to tell the other husband what was really going on. I gave the other woman an opportunity to tell him but she didn't take it. Telling me " he knows everything, you don't need to tell him. " Well him and I spoke for over an hour and he knew barely anything. I gave him the opportunity to tell me not to tell him, but I knew if i was in his shoes I would want to know the truth. 

​The other woman did call me after she had heard that I spoke with him and told him everything I knew and laid the guilt on pretty thick, asking me if I was proud to hurt him. Honestly I am not proud of hurting him, but  I couldn't stand knowing that he was continually being lied to, he deserved to know the truth so he can make the best decision moving forwards with his life and I know if I was in his shoes I would want to know the real truth.

​I will admit I have a small glimmer of hope, I keep thinking my wife may come back after being gone realizing she is making a mistake and that she wants to be here. I also realize that hope is irrational, its just so hard to let go. She has still yet to say the words " I am gay " to me as well.. She has told me though that being intimate with me has always given her anxiety and being with this other woman just feels so natural. So she might as well have told me she is gay..

​I am trying to move down the path of being happy again and healing, but it is very hard at the moment.

​We still have our group counseling meeting on Tuesday as well which we are both planning to attend, the use of it right now I am not to sure of.   

Board footera