OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2016 4:02 pm  #1

How do I confront my husband?

A few days ago I confirmed what I had strongly suspected for a few weeks, my husband is bi/gay.  We have been married for 21 years and have 4 children 15-19.  A few years ago (maybe 8) I found he had an alternate email address and I saw correspondence between him and other men. He claimed it was only an exchange of pictures and that there was never any contact or pictures of him.  He promised he would stop.  Well, fast forward to a few weeks ago when I began to suspect that something was not right.  I began to check his computer and iphone and found another email account with messages that go back as late as 2009 and recent messages that confirm that there have been multiple gay encounters.  My problem is, I do not know how to confront my husband about this.  I'm terrified of the door that I am opening by addressing this.  The effect it will have on my children, my family, our financial situation, our lives.... please someone offer some advise on how to approach this and when.

Thanks, 

July 20, 2016 5:02 pm  #2

Re: How do I confront my husband?

Here is my sincerest advice is:  Do not open the door just yet.  Don't let H know what you found and don't confront him. Act as if nothing is wrong.  Meanwhile, as two of our wisest here say: "Lawyer up" and "Get your Team together" (Doctor, Lawyer, therapist, accountant etc). Secretly make copies of all your documents, tax returns, bank statements, pension papers, vital records, his e-mail correspondence, etc. Give the copies to your lawyer and keep a copy for yourself in a safe place.  Find out what your legal rights and liabilities are. Get fully tested by your Doctor and stop having sex (or unprotected sex at the least) with your H. Once you have consulted with your Team and once you have gotten all your ducks in a row you can address any issues at that time. It is up to you to protect and do what is right for you and for your 4 children. It is easier to get the legal/business information first and then deal with the emotional issues later. I am not saying that your H will necessarily deal with you unfairly, hide assets, or be manipulative...but it is better to be safe than sorry especially with a spouse who is already hiding who he really is.  Also, doing all the prep work before the $hit hits the fan will save you time if you ultimately decide to separate and divorce.  If you decide not to divorce then no harm no foul.

Good luck and keep reading and posting.

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

July 20, 2016 8:26 pm  #3

Mlchelel,

What are you hoping to get out of the confrontation? Are you wanting an explanation of what's really been happening? Unfortunately, you are not likely to get one. Not a truthful one, anyway. You will get an explanation, but he's been effectively lying to you for years. What would make you think his explanation is to be believed? If you get an explanation, it'll be something like "I was just looking". Nope, you know otherwise. "I was just curious". Seems like you were habitually curious - aka CHEATING - for YEARS. "I think I'm bi". Well, you're MARRIED. What difference does it make?!? You are not going to hear the truth. Which is "I'm gay, I'm cheating, and I was hoping that you'd never find out" If you see tears and proclamations of love, then he's got those acting skills honed after years of lying to you. If he says he wants to stay married, that's no surprise - of course that's what he wants - he's been ensuring that for years now with ask the deceit and lying. He wants to stay married because he doesn't want to admit that he's gay. That's what this whole thing is about. He's gay, which isn't compatible with you (who is straight), but he likes his cover. That's the whole explanation.

If you want to confront him because you're mad as hell and you want to unleash on him, well, then by all means - have at it.  You're entitled to it. And you're right. No explanation for why he's done what he's done is going to change the fact that he's been untruthful and deceitful to you. That shows a complete lack of respect and love for you. No amount of "but I REALLY wanted to" is a good excuse for what he's done to you. He gave away something that he promised to you and ONLY you. No one held a gun to his head and told him to choose between his cheating on you or his child's life. He chose himSELF. He chose his own fulfillment over you - over your feelings and self-worth and dignity.

If you confronting him is about letting him know that you are DONE and he needs to get the f*ck OUT, then go ahead. Just make sure he doesn't leave with every piece of banking information, leaving you cripled. Which is why others are telling you to get your team together. I do know though that if you are mad as hell and just can't have him in your home one.more.day, then that can be very difficult to do. Just do what you feel most led to do.  Personally, once I found some evidence of wrongdoing, I was all about confronting him. Because I wasn't about to live one.freakin'.day as if evening was fine. He didn't get the loud, yelling me. He got the quiet, intense me that scares the crap out of anyone who is used to a loud, animated yeller.

I'm really sorry you're in this position. What he's done is unforgivable. I very much understand your fear about opening this door. But I'm hoping that what you're afraid of is the confusing work of life changes, not HIS reaction. You have every right to be angry, hurt, and upset - enraged, even. You don't have to be accepting and gentle and understanding. Fuck that static. Don't let him take your right to anger from you. Use your anger to push through the fear.

Wishing you the best -

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 21, 2016 1:22 am  #4

that feeling of suspicion you had that got you checking his emails - he is likely to be having a similar feeling now, a suspicion that his closet is under threat.  

My ex opened a secret bank account and started salting away bits of money into it before I even knew he was gay let alone confronted him about it.

I agree about taking time to prepare and assess the situation for yourself before confronting him.  Other than that I can only stress be kind to yourself at all times, take little rests whenever you can, this is so painful and such tough yards.  wishing you all the best.

July 21, 2016 6:51 am  #5

Michelel

Good initial advice from kel and Co here.

Having gone through I can say I did not believe them in the beginning...ie..  my wife ..she wouldn't do that to me..

But kel and Co were so so right.
I found all the horrible evidence  of her gay affair.  But I also found evidence of;
A bank account
Lawyer visits
Looking at houses
Cancelled me off all her life insurance.

So I had no problem getting my team together..

Confronting her she was like show me your evidence.  That was all the answer I needed.

Look on her face when she wanted to serve me divorce papers and asked if I had a lawyer...priceless.

Listen to the folks here..dont confront..get your info and team together...plot and plan..your husband has no problem plotting and planning against you.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 21, 2016 1:05 pm  #6

Michelel, you can open that door now, or open it later. Ten years later? Eight? Two more years of hell?

I say get your ducks in a row, decide what YOU want, and make your move. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck, no matter how hard that is to believe. And it is hard to believe but it happens. And it wasn't your fault. At all.

It was a deal breaker for me. Like Kel, I put on my bitch boots and told him he could do whatever he wanted with whoever he wanted but he couldn't do it being married to me. He had only the weakest of excuses and more denial so I divorced him. Yes it broke my heart in a million pieces but I wasn't wasting another day with someone who couldn't be honest and faithful.

Actually I found all his lies and a lot more hidden in his car on the 14th, and confronted him on the 17th. He left that same day. I wasn't fooling around.

Good luck to you. Be strong. If your gut says it's true, believe and  and take action on your own behalf. I guarantee you he won't be thinking of you.

July 21, 2016 1:12 pm  #7

I am so sorry you are experiencing this. Opening the door is scary as hell and there will be days you wish you hadn't. But in the end, it's the only thing to do. I'm almost a year out and it took me until 9 months in to see the light, but it came back. And I'm so glad I'm not living a lie any more. I have three kids, am a SAHM mom looking for a job because of this, going through the divorce, and will lose my home and probably my car. But at this point, as much as I've grieved and will continue to, I'd rather go through all this than not know or live in his closet. 

You can do this. Hang in there. Keep coming back here. It's a lifeline. Best wishes to you and your kiddos.

"You want a man who messes up your lipstick, not your mascara."

July 21, 2016 6:31 pm  #8

Hi Michelel:
Along the lines of Kel's question, what do you want to get out of this confrontation... to help yourself clarify, see if there is another word besides "confrontation" (which implies a fight, and this is a fight nobody wins). What if instead you asked "How do I discuss what I found with my husband?"  or "How do I approach my husband now that I know?" or any other way of asking your question in addition to the way you already asked it. Sometimes the way we ask a question leads to its own answer, but you might want to consider a few different versions of the question. 

One thing I would suggest is, that if you already have evidence, meaning you are certain, convinced, you know without any doubts, then there is no reason to ask him "Are you...?" That just gives him wiggle room. Instead, say 'I already know..." and don't back down from that, if you know it is the truth. It leaves him no place to try to steer you; he can keep his denial as much as he needs to, but you don't have to share it with him, and saying it as an affirmative statement gives you the power, where a question gives him the power.  Make it clear that you already know; you are not asking, you are stating a fact, and nothing he says can undo what you know. You can't "un-know" something once you know it.

"I have given you my soul, leave me my name!"  - John Proctor, The Crucible
"Question everything you've been told; hold fast to what is true and good." - I Thessalonians 5:21

July 22, 2016 5:11 pm  #9

Thank you everyone for all of your advise. Ultimately, I could not wait any longer to talk with my husband and we spoke yesterday. I didn't ask him I just told him that I knew. He didn't deny, which was good, just said he's tried to resist but cannot. I'm sure you'll all be shocked to know that he doesn't want to divorce but he didn't say that he'd stop TGT either so .....he's not ready to admit to anyone else so it's very isolating for me. I've told my best friend he's cheated on me but not with a man, just implied it was with a woman. That's been helpful but I feel like I'm deceiving her. The thing is I'm  surprisingly calm about the whole thing. I'm not ridiculously angry, in some ways that would be easier. Still feel like my husband actually loves me, he's just gay and cannot come out of the closet. If anything I feel sorry for him. Not sure if this is all just a phase and eventually I'll be furious but for now we are kind of in a holding pattern. I told him I don't know what we can do, financially this is like THE WORST time in our financially challenging marriage for this to come into the light. Anyway, just wanted to post an update, thank you to all who responded directly to this post and even those that posted elsewhere, I've been reading a lot and it ALL  helps

July 22, 2016 5:24 pm  #10

Hi Michelle,

it's okay to enter a holding pattern for a while but give yourself a lifeline and tell your friend the whole truth.  It is good to have a friend in your life that knows.  

xox

Board footera