OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2016 10:17 am  #11

Re: How's everyone doing? (wellness check)

Rob, that totally sucks.  She's so mean.  Who DOES that?  I mean, she should WANT her kids to have all the loving relationships that they can.  It doesn't take anything from her as their mother to have them love their father, too.  Jeez.  How selfish of her.  She's taking from the kids as well as you.

So,.... how is she trying to change things due to a doctor's appointment?  Is she making it like you already "saw" the kid the day of the doctor's appoint, therefore you don't need them on the assigned day, too?

For what it's worth, people get the kids on the assigned days.  Period.  If they get them on additional days too, that's EXTRA - it doesn't take the place of other days unless that arrangement is made.  We call it "swapping".  For instance, this weekend my ex really needed to go out of state or his job, and he asked me (practically begged me) this past Monday to keep the kids this weekend.  He will then have them 2 weekends in a row to get us "back on schedule".  This is only important to me because dh and I get paid every two weeks, and we go on a massive grocery shopping trip on those weekends.  Which means that it eats up a ton of our time and we have a lot less time to spend with the kids.  So we really like to get back on schedule so that we can have the kids on the weekends when we're not busy with necessities - so we can spend some quality family time DOING stuff rather than having them laze around while we run around (they never want to go with).  And at some point, when my current husband's daughter was under 18, we would match it so we had her on the same weekends as my kids - have them all together.  The kids hated it when we got off schedule and my ex's wife wasn't about to switch her weekend work schedule around on one of MY ex's whims.  So my ex knows the rules - if you swap a weekend, you get them two weekends in a row then.

I never understand why the custodial parent wants to keep the kids 24/7.  I mean, I need some ME time!  I love the time away from the kids.  it re-charges me so that when I'm with them, I'm really present and in the moment.  Of course, I have the additional commitment of a newer relationship with my husband, who married into my situation, but didn't marry all of us - he wants some private time with me.  So the kidless weekends (as I call them) are dedicated to dating and loud sex.  Lol.  Keeps everything on the tracks.  I love my life.  And I love getting a break from the daily grind, too.  Last night the kids both slept over a friend's house, and dh and I went out to dinner and then laid around and went to bed early.  Today I'll have 6 kids at my house for a sleepover.  So it all evens out.  We're all happy.

Take her back to court if she's not complying.  Just know that in the beginning, it's all by the book.  After a year or so, everything relaxes and there is usually a predictable routine.  And everyone is more lax about the "rules" unless there's a huge disagreement.  Our agreement specifies that we alternate holidays.  And we did, in the beginning.  Now major holidays are usually worked out so that the kids can have holidays with both families.  We consult the kids about what they want too - because we're not going to knock ourselves out making it work for both families if the kids would rather go to one household that particular holiday.  For Christmas, my ex gets them for a few days before the holiday, and they do Christmas Eve as their celebration.  Then they wake up over there on Christmas morning and come back to our house around 11 or so.  Open presents with us, and then we head over to my parents house for our larger family get-together.  We just want the kids to be happy at this point.  Because they're old enough to be very vocal when they're not happy, lol.  I also make sure that since my ex's mother has passed away that the kids are aware that Father's Day is coming, and make sure they're thinking about a gift, and that they have a ride to wherever they'd like to shop, etc.  Same with Christmas.  I WANT them to have the joy of giving to their father too, and learn not to just be takers.  I don't go so far that I'm making suggestions or buying the gifts.  But I make sure to keep in mind that their father does deserve a Father's Day, and the kids would likely just blow it off if I didn't assist.  I don't want that for him.  He doesn't deserve that.  And as their parent, it's my job to steer them in growing into good adults.  This is part of that.

Anyway, stick to your guns, Rob.  I'll be thinking about you.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 22, 2016 11:11 am  #12

Rob, if Narcissists used their tenacity and persistence for the good they would be millionaires.  Even after they have devalued, dismissed, and discarded you they still want to come around and kick you in the balls, just for the fun of it.  Remember they crave attention and they don't care if it is positive or negative; love or hate.  Mine continued to drag me into court for 2 years post-divorce over anything and everything. It was only until I figured out his achilles heal and stood up to him did he go away.  Stick to the parenting plan.  Be firm. Be unemotional (even if you have to fake it).  Don't let her see you sweat.  Once she realizes that she can no longer play with your emotions and manipulate you; once she realizes that you will NOT under any circumstances, continue to provide her with Narcissistic Supply, she will then find another soul to target.  Most likely it will be her new GF.   

Last edited by WendiT (July 22, 2016 11:13 am)

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

July 22, 2016 12:03 pm  #13

Thanks guys.
Sue..Your not out of line..I will probably start taking my pills again...seems the battle is not over.  I can go back to my phychiatrist and she'll help me.

The lezex is a big bully..I can tell already she will not honor the parenting plan unless it suits her.  she is a narcissist..no contact is key but I have deal with her over the kids.  And she is a physcho. .not rational.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 22, 2016 12:49 pm  #14

Rob, don't forget to employ those 10 Steps of Emotional Distancing which Patti posts from time to time.

I cut and pasted them from SSN site - See below.  These are especially helpful for those of use whose partners are Narcissists.  Unfortunately it takes constant repetition for the Narcissists to get that we will no longer dance to their tune.  (With my X I had to go "No Favors" see #10 and accept no gifts). How do I create emotional distance?The following 10 steps towards finding emotional distance have been used on one of our email support lists for years. They provide some simple steps to help you find some emotional distance so that you can make better choices and take care of yourself.10 Steps Toward DistancingDistancing is especially important in an emotional relationship gone wrong.
[list=1]
[*]Stop asking new personal things of your partner about him/herself.
[*]Don't divulge personal things about yourself to them.
[*]Don't bend over backward to celebrate any occasions that involve them.
[*]Don't go out of your way to help them more than is necessary.
[*]Don't help them if someone else can.
[*]Avoid discussions that involve their lives, re: old topics.
[*]Start to develop new activities that don't involve them.
[*]Try to make new friends, acquaintances, anything.
[*]Make small changes in your life: rearrange furniture, change decorations, try new soaps, ride your bike in a different route, eat at a different restaurant, eat different foods, cook them a different way, shop at different stores, rearrange the landscaping, change some of your habits, change the style of clothing you wear, etc.
[*]If they ask favors of you, tell them you want time to think about it.
[/list]
(Original Author Unknown)

"No matter how hard the journey may be, remember to be kind to yourself..."

July 22, 2016 2:02 pm  #15

Keepinghope, you sound like you're doing great!  I'm so happy that your unexpected new life is a joy to you.

I too had the "lost all the in-laws" thing going on.  It wasn't as much of a big deal for me, though; my ex's family (except for his mom) were all aunts, uncles and cousins and lived in a different state, and so we rarely saw them anyway.  So it wasn't the loss that him losing my family was to him.  But still - I knew they didn't know, and I had no idea what my ex and his mother had told the extended family about the divorce.  I know that they didn't want my MIL's mother to know that my ex is gay - that would have been a HUGE deal in their family (all churchy evangelicals).  But she died, and then my MIL died two weeks later, and I slipped that news out to a cousin who came in while MIL was dying.  She asked me who the man was with dh.  After telling her what is name was, she was like, "Yeah, I KNOW.  Who IS he???"  I was like, "It's ex's boyfriend."  She looked shocked, then crestfallen, then a tear slid down her cheek as she put her hands over her mouth and said, "We've been so cruel to you".  All they'd really done was act like I didn't exist after news of the divorce got out.  Didn't send b-day cards to me any longer, that sort of thing.  But they weren't cruel.  Still don't know if the rest of his family knows.  I know he thinks they don't.  I figure they do since I told one person.  Who knows.  It doesn't matter what you tell the in-laws if your ex denies it to them, anyway.  They don't WANT to believe that he's gay, so him telling them that he's not is good enough for them.

Keep going on your journey, hon.  There's a lot of happiness still to be had. 

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 27, 2016 9:39 am  #16

Great post idea Kel! 

I'm doing well - my divorce is nearly finalised, my new relationship is immensely rewarding, and I've just about got the house exactly as I want it. Work is a bit of a drag, but mainly because it takes time away from everything else I want to do. In the last year, I've gone from a virtual recluse, to my friends mocking me because I'm never in! 

If people will excuse the dullness, my immediate goals are to:
1: Put the damn letterbox on the front door. Seriously, it's been like 4 months of a big old hole in the front door. Get off your ass Bob and fix it already!
2: Tidy the house, as I've got a bunch of people around next weekend and it needs to be a bit tidier before they appear
3: If possible, go see the new Star Trek film again. As a Trekkie I'm delighted with it (even took the new GF to see it, who is not a huge geek like me, and she enjoyed it too - a win in my book!)

As for long term goals:
1: Finish redecorating the house. I've only a few things left to do, to finish putting my stamp on the place. Making my house my own has been really therapeutic. I'm loving living on my own in MY house, having things exactly as I want them. It's been great to just do things my way.
2: Look for a new job. My work is fine, but it doesn't *inspire* me. It's good money and reasonably low stress, but I can get bored - I don't like being bored, so I'm thinking it is probably time to start looking around and improving myself a bit.
3: Lose some weight! I went on a bit of bender at the end of last year, I ate and drank very well, and frankly lived it up. I'm now down the gym twice a week, and I'm making some headway.
4: Pay off my debts. I've racked up some debt in sorting divorce and lawyers. Nothing I can't manage, but I'd like it cleared down. Living it up also caused some of this, so I'm being a more careful with my money

In terms of nuggets of wisdom, I don't have any really other than that time really is a healer. Last month I noticed my wedding anniversary was coming up, and I was dreading it because I thought that would send me into a bit of a downer (which I still get from time to time). Funny thing is, that week I was really busy and didn't even notice. On the day itself I went to work, and after work spent the evening tidying the house, and then I caught some of my best mates online and we played stupid online games all night. I didn't notice the date until the day after, which felt a little anti-climatic! 

I hope everyone is doing well. If you're at the start of this, I promise it gets better. When Kel told me that less than year ago I had to trust her that it was true, because I couldn't believe it then. Holy cow do I believe it now!

August 14, 2016 10:57 pm  #17

Well no narc gay ex this weekend but no kids either. 
I kept busy but alas, the loneliness and sadness come creeping and crashing in.  I leaned on my family for company which helped.   One kid will be off to school which saddens me to no end. You would think I'd be doing better but really just ok.

August 14, 2016 11:15 pm  #18

To everyone, doesn't it suck that they don't just mess with your life, but they have to impact kids, siblings, parents, in-laws, even grandchildren in their webs of deceit? How many people have to be hurt and disrupted by their selfish and cruel behavior!

To Rob, I was ready to go off my ADs a month ago. Got down to half dosage and the tears and rumination returned. I'm going back on and staying on them until next spring! They do make a difference and I still need them. Since you still have to,deal with your ex, you might need them a while longer than you had thought.

Sending out hugs for all of us tonight. We are strong, we will come through this better and stronger than ever.

August 15, 2016 7:12 am  #19

". tears and rumination .."

Yeah that.  Maybe I still need some help.  The reality is i/we was thrust into this new life that I didn't want.   I can't look back..even at the happy memories...because I have doubt now if any of it was real..and I can never get that life back.

So in the aftermath of the tgt destruction and ruins  where do I start...I mean I'm getting my schedule down but what's the single biggest thing to start single life again?

August 15, 2016 8:20 am  #20

Rob, I thought for a long time I was just processing, but at some point I know it's ruminating. (The difference is going over the same thoughts once there is nothing new to be gleaned from them.)

Then I decided that he didn't deserve me or my love, and that I should do anything to make myself happy. I wrote a list of 20 or so ways to treat myself with love and care, and I have done almost all of them. Go to a movie, call a friend, buy flowers for your table, take a walk.

What is it for you? I'd say give yourself permission to "date" yourself. Show yourself a good time. It sounds silly but who deserves it more than those of us who have been cheated on, lied to, abused, ignored, gas lighted and then blamed for something we didn't choose, cause or even know about?! Personally I never dreamed this could happen, and I'm still reeling sometimes. So I'm determined to be my own best friend.

How about the rest of you? Can you?

Also a great book and web presence is Begin with Yes. I get their beautiful posts everyday.

Board footera