OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2017 10:07 am  #11

Re: Not sure I understand my loneliness

Just wanted to be clear that I wasn't suggesting that anyone who's busy enough won't want a life partner.  I know for me, I wanted that very badly.  The further away I got from my former marriage, the more I realized that I never really DID have the love and partner that I'd craved.  I wanted something where I felt like part of a team, not like the whole team.  I wanted to feel cherished, not tolerated.  For me, it wasn't a matter of wanting those things BACK as much as it was me wanting to experience them EVER.  I was SUPER busy being a single mom of 3 and working full time (with over an hour commute each way), and I'm a spontaneous individual - I was never lacking for something to do.  That didn't mean that I didn't miss love.  I wanted it badly.  And I don't think I was going to be truly happy and fulfilled until I found that again.  I was right - I feel very whole now.

My whole point is that anyone will feel lonely if they're not out there enough - even the people who don't crave a partnership.  And I believe that the more interesting and balanced we are as individuals, the more attractive we are as an option for others who are looking.  No one answers the personals ad of: "I do nothing all day - I'm waiting on YOU to make my life worth living."  They all want, "I'm active with friends, family, and things that make me happy and interest me.  I enjoy my life and wish to add to it, not have you "make" it."  THAT's what we all want.  If you are wanting the best relationship in the future, you're fully half of that.  Bring a lot to the table and you'll have a better chance of attracting an equally awesome partner that is interested in you.

I think you all got what I was saying.  I just wanted to clarify.

As for my awesome new neighbors, I do realize they're not typical.  I managed to get to the ripe old age of 47 before I had neighbors who would slow their roll and introduce themselves when they saw us all out doing yardwork.  They've all lived here forever - most of them inherited these homes from their parents - so they grew up here.  So they all knew each other as kids.  I think that's the difference.  We're "fresh meat" to them.  Lol.  The other day they told us a story about the old couple we bought the house from.  They said, "Yeah, Pete could be a drinker.  Sometimes he'd get wasted and start wandering around in the driveway.  Eventually his wife Julia would come out and be like, "Pete, come IN already!", and Pete'd start yelling, "No one LIKES you, Julia!"  Lol!!!

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

May 2, 2017 10:38 am  #12

lorax, 

I'm struggling with loneliness as well.  Like you said, it's difficult to understand and put the emotion into words sometimes.  

I have more interactions with friends now than I did before.  I used to come home to my wife and kids every night.  She would go out a few times a week, but I rarely ever went out.  Now, with her gone I go out a few times a week and see friends.  So I get more interaction, but I still feel lonely.   

It's not the amount of interaction, its the quality of it.   I miss being in love.  I want to be in love again.  I want a partner in life.  I want someone I can talk to every single day and keep up with life's events.  My friends are great.. but I'm lonely for an intimate emotional connection. 

I know I'm ready to date.  I know this because I could tell when my desire changed.  Through my divorce and for the first couple months after I craved a female for what I could get from that female.  I wanted someone to love me and feed me (emotionally) and comfort me.   I knew that my motivation was selfish and I wasn't a good person to date at that point.  But then I found that things changed.  I realized that my desire for a woman was to find someone to love.  I want someone that I can give my love to vs. take from.  That's when I knew I was ready. 

It could be different for everyone though.  Some of us need to make sure we are ready to trust before we can date.  Some of us need to be ready for intimacy to date.  Some of us need to be more emotionally stable.  Some of us need to be independent vs. co-dependent.  Some of us have anger issues we have to solve before we are ready. 

When you are ready you will know because you notice that something has changed.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

May 2, 2017 2:59 pm  #13

Such great comments. I swear, sometimes I come back here not only to try to help others but to revalidate the things I'm feeling.  

I used to think that everyone had their one soul mate.  I'm starting to realize that different people can be your soul mate at different times in your life.  People change, habits form and change and form again.  Eventually you become who you are and you know exactly what you want whereas you might not have known that at a younger age.  I think the same is true for meeting a partner.  The guy/girl next to you may not have been right for you 10 years ago, but they might be your match made in heaven today.  Phoenix is right - you will feel the change when you're ready.  And Kel, your story inspires me every day.  I know we can find what you have - we just have to remember to get out there and try.  It's not going to knock on our door, walk in, and sit in our lap.  Although I'd prefer that to happen.  Much less effort. 

On a funny note - I was outside last night and a neighbor comes up to say they want to try to plan a block party.  Those who know me know that I have no poker face so I couldn't stop the big laugh that came out of my mouth (I'm thinking in the back of my head - are you reading the SSN blog?)!  Hopefully we won't have a Pete and Julia situation!

May 2, 2017 3:19 pm  #14

Yay, a block party!  I've never had one in my life.  Grew up on much too busy of a street to shut down, and although I've lived several places since then that could have done something, no block parties were ever even mentioned.  My hubs told me the other day that one of our other neighbors mentioned trying to spearhead one for our block.  I was like, "YAY!!!  That would be a blast!  What a fun way to get to know everyone and do it will being a bit "happy" (on a drink or two), IF ya know what I mean, AND I'm sure ya do. 

If anyone here wants to be my FB friend, just write me a quick private message and I'll give you info.  I'd have to recognize your user name from here, though.  I have at least one person who is no longer here often that I text and FB back and forth with occasionally.  She looks marvelously happy now! 

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

May 2, 2017 4:28 pm  #15

Ok so I'm curious what's a Pete and Julia moment?  Kel I have been thinking about starting a Facebook account if I do you will be my first request. Lol

May 2, 2017 4:34 pm  #16

I'm curious about the Pete and Julia situation too, please enlighten us!!!

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

May 2, 2017 7:53 pm  #17

It's from the comment Kel made above about her old neighbors named Pete and Julia. Nothing like a drunk neighbor to stir up some fun! 

May 2, 2017 8:06 pm  #18

Ahhhhhhh

May 3, 2017 1:54 am  #19

Gotcha!! 

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

May 3, 2017 9:12 pm  #20

Just wanted to update since I did take the time to rant. I've been pushing myself this week. I've been having lunch with coworkers, chatted with people after work instead of rushing home. Been to my second jiu jitsu class tonight, stated after as well to talk with people.

It's working. I'm feeling better. I'm trying to make plans for the weekend as well. I don't know if this is this is me masking loneliness or resolving it but I have no better ideas, feeling happy right now,

Board footera