OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2017 10:58 am  #1

Carl's post moved to here

"Hi, I'm Carl and I'm married to a Lesbian.  Like everyone else here, I never planned this. According to her, she didn't either. 
When we got married We were both in our 30s. She had kids from her last marriage that became my own. We had clicked instantly and the next 7 years were amazing both emotionally and sexually. We communicated everything. She had always been an ally to the gay community and supported transgender because she thought it was the toughest road.  Maybe that should have been a clue...

For me, it has been a long road to get to the SSN.  She 1st had an inkling in 2012 when she had her WTF event in being attracted to a subordinate of hers. Everything we had, sex, communication trust became strained. After a couple months, She decided she wasn't lesbian and wanted to stay married.  We reaffirmed our vows and took a job opportunity (mine) halfway across the country to start over. We were going fine until late 2016 when she went from straight to asexual to bisexual to lesbian in a month. She wanted (and still does) to stay married.I was willing to work with her and support her while she sorted this out.  Last week I was blind-sided (but really shouldn't have been) when she announced she had a lover.  She wanted to keep that world separate from home and kids but suggested I go find a lover too like it was normal. She's trying to selectively hide her status, having told a few folks, her mom, sister and our oldest son but not the younger ones.

So now I set here with my own dilemma of deciding what's best for me, the kids and in general, us.  She's still my best friend and confidante. 

I know the right course will become apparent when the moment is right."

Hi Carl,

I don't see how your wife can say she didn't plan it - is she saying she didn't know she was attracted to women before she married you?  that is highly unlikely to be true - most likely she is the same as the rest of us, and has known at least from her teenage years.

From what you describe in your post, she is looking for a mate - having a series of romantic relationships with women.

While you believe your wife is your best friend, while she is your confidante you are drinking an anodyne.  It eases the pain of being married to someone who doesn't desire you but it doesn't take it away.

take care, post here as much as you like.

all the best Lily  

April 18, 2017 12:13 pm  #2

Re: Carl's post moved to here

Good looking out Lily.   Thank you!

Carl, 
Welcome to our family.  I'm sorry you find yourself here, but I'm glad you found us.  I hope we can offer you advice and support to help you make your way through this saga. 

As Lily mentioned, it seems all of our spouses try to tell us that "it just happened" later in life.  They say they changed recently because that takes away accountability for them hiding their true identity from us before we were married.  In most cases they didn't want to have a same sex attraction so they pretended to be straight.  Sadly, they just can't escape it and eventually it eats away at them until they cave..  usually this happens when they find someone they want to be with.  They just replace us and go on their merry way. 

It seems that you've already bridge the biggest question.. will you get a divorce.  So now that you know what your future holds you need to start moving forward toward that goal.   Since most of us have been or are currently going through divorce we can offer you some advice in this area.. feel free to ask if you have questions. 

What I want you to do is consider taking a few initial steps to help your journey be a little easier. 
1.)  See your Dr.  If you are having symptoms of stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, chest pains or any other issues that threaten your health, it would be wise to seek help and medicine to help remove the symptoms. This journey is hard enough in perfect health.. but impossible if you are having anxiety attacks, are not sleeping well, etc.. 
2.)  Find a support network.  You need to realize that you don't owe her secrecy.  I'm not suggesting you blast her in public, but I am saying you should find a few local friends/family that you can share your situation with and lean on for support.  You will need it.  
3.)  Start researching divorce law in your state.  Most attorneys will offer a free or low cost initial consultation where you can ask a ton of questions.  Find out what the biggest mistakes are to avoid, how to prepare and plan, etc.. 

Let us know how we can help Carl..   It's very helpful to share your story and journal.  You are allowed to do that here.. share as much or as little as you like.  Ask questions, ask for support..  we are here for you. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 18, 2017 2:04 pm  #3

Thank you, all. She actually does claim that it hit her our of the blue. I don't have any basis to argue.  She swears she would rather undo everything and go back to 2008 if she could.  Either way,  it's not a point I have energy to fight.

I could use an anodyne.  The hurt is incredible. I have anxiety and sleep problems sometimes but I found getting back into an exercise routine has helped a lot. I feel like I'm walking around in a daze.  Little things will send me crashing down and I pull it back together and press on. 

I know I'm facing a lot of unknowns and fears. It's tough because I had faced the first round alone.  Most of my family has passed and the few left don't talk.

I found the local SSN group and a counselor who specializes in straight spouses so it's a start.

She wants to stay married but I don't know which course to take yet but I'm looking at them all.  Has anyone actually stayed and found a positive way to make it work?

Carl

Last edited by Carl (April 18, 2017 2:10 pm)

April 18, 2017 2:16 pm  #4

Are you ok with an open marriage?   Can you be happy knowing your wife has a lover on the side?  Can you sit at home on Friday evening when she's out with the other person and not think about her having sex with someone that night.   I found out in advance of my wife's plans one night to go out and have sex with her lesbian lover and I lost it..  I had a proper panic attack...hyperventilating and my face was numb and I just couldn't get it together.  I had to have a friend come get me because I couldn't drive.   The idea of my wife being intimate with someone other than me was more than I could handle.  To this day it's the part that scars me deepest and still causes me pain.   But other people handle things in other ways..  If you are ok with your wife having sex with someone else and you want to maintain your family unit and be friends and co-habitate, then great!

Some people are cool with this.. some people make an open marriage work out very nicely. 
Most people cannot do this. 

If you are expecting her to renounce her SSA and live the rest of her life as a heterosexual..  you're setting yourself up for a disaster. 

Sorry to be so blunt Carl.  

I'm glad you've found a local SSN group and counselor.  That is huge!    I'm glad your exercise has helped.. that is great.  Take care of yourself and take things a day at a time. 

Last edited by phoenix (April 18, 2017 2:19 pm)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

April 18, 2017 2:24 pm  #5

Hi Carl,

I'm sorry you're going through this.  It sounds very painful and confusing.

What do YOU want?  I'm sure that like most of us who have spouses who disclose to us, you just wish everything could go back to the way things were BC - before disclosure.  But it can never be that way again.  Knowing this, what are you hoping for a this point?  Are you hoping that she'll decide that she's straight again and decide to stay?  Or are you at the point where no matter what she says/does, it's too late?

I very much understand that you are used to making decisions for the good of the whole family.  And you'll be tempted to continue on that way in this decision, too.  It just doesn't work that way, though.  If you were to make the decision based on what's best for the majority of the group, you'd undoubtedly decide that so long as your wife is willing, you'll stay married.  And that's because you assume that every child would always be happier and better off in an intact, whole family.  Seems true - on the surface.  The problem is that everything's not equal in both situations.  You aren't the same amount happy as a person when you're with someone who is hurting you daily.  So you cannot be the same kind of parent, and your family can therefore not be the same family.  Two conflicted, unhappy parents make for a pretty shitty energy vibe to live in for the kids.

If you were to make an analogy, it would be like getting trapped in a bear trap with one foot/leg.  If you were to look at it as "the body will always be best as a whole - without missing or compromised parts", then you'd stay in the bear trap and your body would remain whole.  But you'd DIE.  Cutting off the leg to get out of the trap means that the rest of the body will be altered.  It will be difficult to get used to a body missing a leg - but it CAN be done.  Whether you learn to use a crutch or you get a prosthesis, you will figure out how to make due.  There may be depression getting used to a body that doesn't function as it was intended to.  But you would be ALIVE.  Losing the leg sounds horrific.  UNLESS you compare it to DYING.  Then losing a leg seems like a price you could pay.

It's for this reason that I often tell people that when deciding whether or not to leave, they shouldn't put the choices of "Leave" up against "Don't Leave".  That makes it seem like the choices are "Do Something that will be massive change" up against "Don't do anything and see what happens".  Well, Something WILL happen if you stay.  Maybe it will be the slow decline of your self assurance and belief in yourself.  Maybe it'll be that your heart never gets to love again.  Maybe it'll be that your kids see you as a shell of the person who you could potentially be.  So I always recommend pitting "Don't Leave" against "Stay".  Both are actions.  If you CHOOSE to stay, what's that mean you'll have to give up to do that?  If you take the trajectory of both choices to where they'd likely be in 5 years, how do they compare now?  When I pitted "leave" against "don't leave", I was afraid of leaving.  But when I compared what staying would look like instead, I was TERRIFIED of staying.  I could barely breathe thinking of that reality.

Carl, she's yanking your chain.  And she knows it.  She knows if she were to reveal her true feelings and intentions that several of her friends and relatives would never speak to her again.  So she's trying to have her cake and eat it, too.  Ever watch that show "Hoarders"?  Have you ever heard what they say when asked how their place got to look this way?  "It just got out of control.  I had a few things and then one day I walked in and it looked like this."  WTF?!?!  No.  No it didn't.   I just want to scream at the TV, "YOU brought all those items into the house!  YOU chose where to put every one of those items down.  Maybe you did so thoughtlessly.  But that was your choice, too.  YOU did this, and you knew you were doing it.  You just got used to a different reality, and you ignored the problem until one day a pile fell over on you and you broke your damned leg.  And you stand there, acting surprised.  WHY?  YOU.DID.THIS!"  Your wife did all of this too, Carl.  First of all, she DID know before you married that she was attracted to women.  You can bet your life on it.  Now, maybe she figured that she found a man to create a life with - one who she could make babies with.  And that if she ignored the urges and concentrated on you, the problem would never grow very big.  But she either couldn't or didn't do that.  She started out by admitting that she has lesbian urges.  That was good place to start.  But her intended didn't work out, so she backtracked.  Then she chose to make it look like she was utterly confused - because it would certainly confuse YOU and keep YOU off balance!  NO.ONE thinks they're both asexual and sexual in the same month.  I mean, c'mon!  How's that even work?  Last month it was women who sexually excited her, but now you're going to act like you have no sexual urges whatsoever?  Oh wait - there it is - I feel an urge tickle!  It's BACK!  Now I am attracted to men AND women.  Wait a minute - I think I'm getting a faint signal.  Yes, yes I am.  If I only concentrate on it, I think I could tell you what it says.  Ah, there it is - the signal says that I only like women.  Which you're not.  So don't expect sex from me, because I've learned that I'm only attracted to women."  THAT's what she just told you, Carl.  How's that sit with you now?  Does it still seem like something a best friend would do to anyone?

She can't stay married AND have a lover.  Because marriage means exclusivity.  So she cannot live these two lives without stomping you under her feet like grapes.  Don't let her do that to you, Carl.  Be on YOUR side right now.  She's got herself AND her lover on her side.  If you're on her side too, then she has several people supporting her, and you have NO ONE - not even yourSELF - supporting you.  Who is supposed to look out for you?

You also need to think about what staying with their gay mother is teaching your children.  If one kid knows, the others often know, too.  Because kids talk.  They need the camaraderieThen you've got all your kids seeing a woman that doesn't love men, but Dad staying with her anyway.  What's that teaching them?  To lay down their needs for whatever their spouse needs someday?  That their needs don't matter at ALL?  That someone can treat you poorly and it's your duty to stick it out?  That it's the man's job to let his wife do whatever she wants?  I'm pretty sure this isn't the blueprint you want your kids using for their own marriages one day.

Best to you, Carl.  Keep stopping by.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 18, 2017 2:55 pm  #6

Carl,
 Glad you found a supportive counselor and local SSN support.
    May I suggest you also look up Chump Lady, online?  It's a site to support people whose spouses have cheated on them, and when you take out "the gay thing," that's what your wife has done.  She's cheated on you.  Now she wants you to go out and find a lover so she feels better about having done so.  She's using "the gay thing" as an excuse and "get out of jail free" card.  
   Reading Chump Lady is salutary; I suggest starting at the bottom of the home page where there are links to groups of posts that really provide helpful ways to think about what is happening to you and how you're feeling and reacting. 

April 18, 2017 3:03 pm  #7

Phoenix, thank you for the reply and I appreciate the bluntness. You're right about feeling like no one's on my side and I haven't represented myself well. 

I'm not good with an open marriage and though she threw it out there, she's done nothing with it.  She is the cause of my first ever anxiety attack and sleepless night. It took a while to see the manipulation and she's good at it. Very good at it. She actually expressed concern that the counselor would make me hate her. I'm not sure I'll need help as this goes along.

I married to be exclusive and that's what I want. I'm not good with her having sex while I play babysitter at home alone. Right now I question my worth in all aspects. I started a dating profile but didn't get far. I don't feel like putting myself into another relationship drama. Plus I worry the next will be a lesbian too. I don't want to be alone but that beats the hurt.

Truthfully, I think the bear trap would hurt less.

I'm busy digging out the legal documents I'll need. I'm in one of the most expensive areas of the nation and housing will be a big challenge but not insurmountable.

One way or another, I will make it.

Thanks, OutofHisCloset, I'll check it out.

Carl

Last edited by Carl (April 18, 2017 3:04 pm)

April 18, 2017 3:18 pm  #8

Carl, 

I think it was Kel who you were replying to rather than me.  She has a great way with words and gives excellent advice.  I'm glad to see that you are seeing her perspective and considering what will make you happy.  Your ex has abused you.. not the other way around..  don't forget that. 

One thing I see in your post that I want to try to reverse right here and now...   You are not worthless. 

YOU ARE AMAZING!   You are a stud!  You kept a lesbian happy for 7 years..  no small feat!    There is a reason our gay spouses picked us to marry..  They were looking for the best person who would treat them well and love them unconditionally.  Str8 spouses are almost always deeply loving an compassionate people.  We often identify as "empaths" because we are really good at connecting deeply with another person emotionally.  We are loyal and kind and give everything to make our family happy.  I'm quite sure you are also a member of this group. 

You are a great man who gave everything to your marriage and loved her in a way that she didn't reciprocate. You have been a father figure to her kids and a faithful husband.  You will get through this and you will find a spectacular woman and live a great life going forward.  

It's really hard to keep our self-esteem strong when the person who is supposed to love us unconditionally discards due to no fault of our own.  We all use the words "throw away like garbage" at some point, because that's how it feels.  Our spouse just moved on.. they find a new person, they go through this teenage like period where they seem to be on cloud 9.   But none of this is a reflection on us.  It's all them.. their loss.   Keep your head held high Carl.   You are a great man and you will be a treasure to some very lucky woman someday in the future.  

April 18, 2017 3:30 pm  #9

I wanted to respond to your post earlier but I couldn't figure out how. The part that struck me immediately was "She had kids from her last marriage that became my own." Did they become yours legally through and adoption, in which case you are now their father and have parental rights and responsibilities; have you voluntarily assumed the role of being a father to them in the absence of a biological father in their lives, or do they have a biological father who still fulfills his obligations to some extent?  What you can expect if you and she separate will depend upon which scenario is yours.

If you want to continue to be in these children's lives I would suggest that you consult an attorney now because your wife could change her mind again and move out tomorrow taking them with her. I am NOT suggesting that you stay in this marriage on the terms she has proposed but only that you get correct information on your rights and obligations under the laws where you live. She may have or find a lover who wants her and her children to move in and if she does you may need to act quickly.

By now everyone else has covered the other important survival tips. I'm sorry that you're here but welcome.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

April 18, 2017 3:46 pm  #10

One more thing: don't move out until you consult a lawyer about that.  Often times it can be seen as abandonment, and can affect custody - if you in fact are their father in legal terms.  Even if you're not, you may still be able to have your lawyer work that into the agreement.  If she agrees to it, then it should be fine.  The sticky part is if the kids do have their biological father in their lives and see him regularly - then it'd be difficult to work out the weekends so that all 3 of you get some time.

I know this isn't easy. 

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera