OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2017 11:57 am  #1

My [32M] bisexual SO [32F] of 6 years is leaving me to be a lesbian

I have been with my bisexual partner for over 6 years. We just got married 2 months ago, but the seriousness of building a life and family together has caused her to realize that she is a lesbian. While I am not angry and I support and love her, I am confused as to how this could happen.She was openly bisexual starting as a teen and that never changed. Since then she as never confused about who she was. Her family and friends were very supportive when she came out. She's been with women and men throughout her dating life. For 6 years she loved so many masculine qualities about me and loved having sex. She dreamed of being the mother of my children. But now that's all changed.If she had to repress being bi/gay then I'd completely understand how this is happening, but that was never the case. It sounds silly but I keep thinking if I possessed more feminine qualities, like being more openly emotional, then this wouldn't have happened.If you have any insight or advice regarding my situation, I would very much appreciate it. I'm talking to a therapist, but I'd really love to connect with those in the this community to help me understand how this happened, offer advice and guidance, etc. I still have a lot to talk about with her, the news is still very fresh. Thank you.TL;DR: My bisexual wife turned fully gay at age 32 but never had to repress her gayness so I need help understanding how this could happen.

April 14, 2017 3:12 pm  #2

Re: My [32M] bisexual SO [32F] of 6 years is leaving me to be a lesbian

Before you were married the door was open for her to move her sexuality in either direction. Once married and starting a family that door closes to anyone who takes their vows seriously. To be honest, I think it is good she revealed this now instead of thinking she could repress this. My guess is eventually this would have happened. How long is hard to say, better now than in a decade or so and with the added responsibility of children to provide for. During that process you might have found your relationship going distant and downhill and your spouse falling into conditions such as depression that you could do nothing to help with (part of my personal experience).

Changing yourself isn't the answer (not saying that some of us couldn't use a bit less 'macho strong man' in our personalities). This isn't like changing habits about tidiness or putting the cap back on the toothpaste. Short term it might have worked for a while but you might have found yourself on a slope where eventually it wouldn't have been enough. Compromise, compromise some more and eventually you don't recognize yourself and still wind up separated. You need someone who loves you for who you are, not as a project to renovate.

It sounds like there's been honesty and no infidelity. Maybe that will allow you both to love each other enough to recognize continuing is a bad idea and to let go is what will be fair to all. Seeing a therapist is a good idea and feel free to also post here, even if it is just to vent a bit.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

April 14, 2017 3:41 pm  #3

Hi Taylor - perhaps it might help to think of it has having two primary urges - one to find a mate and the other to have children.  For a straight woman they are one and the same direction - a man.  For a bisexual they are two - a woman for a mate and a man for the children.

Don't change yourself, you are fine as you are.

April 15, 2017 6:50 am  #4

Taylor,
  I read your wife's actions as no different from those of anyone--male and female, straight or otherwise--who gets cold feet after the wedding and not before.  Suddenly she's seeing what her marriage vows are going to require of her: fidelity and monogamy to one person, no matter the attractions elsewhere. (For the record, those same vows apply to you, too, and I don't see you kicking about your new inability to pursue other women when the urge hits.)  I assume that earlier in your partnership, she did not miss being a woman-identified woman in a lesbian community (or, as a bisexual, the possibility of living as a woman-identified woman in a lesbian community).  No one can say why she has now decided that her declaration (through her marriage to you) that she will continue to forego that identification for the foreseeable future has suddenly become intolerable to her.  
   What you need to do now is not to think about how to re-make yourself in order to woo her back in a kind of "pick-me dance" ("pick me and your heterosexual partnership over being a lesbian").  If "the seriousness of building a life and family together" is too much for her, and she's declared she doesn't want to do it, changing yourself to become "less masculine" (less who and what you are) would make no difference whatsoever.  
   From my perspective, you are far too forgiving, and far too willing to see her side of things to the detriment of your own needs.  Some salutary anger on your part would be entirely appropriate; as her fiance you had the right to expect she would weigh the possibilities before the wedding, not after.  That was her responsibility and obligation to you; she failed to do it, and it doesn't matter why--don't get involved in trying to figure her out.  
  If she's now decided her sexual orientation is as a lesbian, then you end the marriage, experience the loss, and find someone who will say "forsake all others" and mean it. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (April 15, 2017 7:00 am)

April 20, 2017 12:24 pm  #5

Hi Taylor -

So sorry you're going through this.  It must be devastating to be a newlywed and having everyone asking "How's married life?" when it's not going well at all.  You've found the right place for support.

I think when we're faced with a huge obstacle the first thing we want to do is assess it - unravel the rope to see where it led from and where it's going.  It's a natural response.  But honestly, it's not likely to help a lot.  You will NEVER truly understand this.  Because you cannot imagine a scenario in which you would do the same things she's done.  And that's GOOD.  Because if you could, you'd be not very well off mentally.  So you are NOT going to EVER fully understand this.  It just..... is what it is.

I know you don't look at her telling you outright as a good thing.  But it really is a gift.  So many of us here never got that, and we found evidence otherwise.  Which they either tried to gas light us about, or they tried to say meant nothing.  You're wife isn't trying to make you figure out what's in her head - she's outright TELLING you.  Trust what she's saying.  What she's telling you has NO benefit to her, so there's no reason for her to lie about it.  She gains nothing from looking fully gay to you.

Has she said how she wants to proceed?  Has she already found love/a lover?  If yes, then she's likely positioning to leave.  That may change if/when she breaks up with this other person.  Then she may get cold feet about being out there and revert back to the status quo.  You'd think this would be a good thing, except that you're only safe if she never finds another interested party again.  And that's not likely.  It's better to just take her at her word that she thinks she's fully lesbian and proceed from there.

How could she like sex with you?  Well, when I was growing up, milk chocolate was EVERYwhere.  It's all there was - all I'd ever tried, anyway.  I tried white chocolate once, and it made me never want to eat it again.  But.... I liked milk chocolate.  I thought IT was chocolate.  I enjoyed it, I thought it was good.  And then one day.... I tried DARK chocolate.  Oh.My.GAWD.  This stuff was amazing!  I'm only going to eat this from now on!  Sadly, there weren't many things made with dark chocolate back then.  Peppermint Patty, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and Hershey's dark bars.  But those weren't available everywhere.  I'd look for them if my dad let us all pick out a candy bar.  But if my first choice wasn't available, I'd still eat the milk chocolate.  Then dark chocolate became more desired and accepted, and many candy companies started coming out with their "dark" version - Milky Way being one.  And they started making more dark chocolate bars available in general.  And now, I get it often enough that I just can't eat the milk chocolate any longer.  I'd rather go without than have to eat something I feel mediocre about.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (April 20, 2017 12:29 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Board footera