OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2017 10:33 pm  #1

What to expect his behavior to be once he comes out

I have been married for 25 years and recently discovered my husband is gay. We are in the process of getting a divorce. He moved out a few weeks ago. We have 2 children under the ages of 15. We are working together to make this easier on the kids. I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me, but I am making positive progress everyday. He is starting to live his new life and I am feeling betrayed. I know this will take time. I am wondering if there are typical behaviors I am going to be faced with. Not sure if all of this makes sense. Your help is appreciated.

April 12, 2017 11:08 pm  #2

Re: What to expect his behavior to be once he comes out

Ljb,

Welcome to our forum ...sorry your here but glad to you found us.   

Lots of  behaviors you're going be faced with.. for yourself it can be a roller coaster of sad/weak days and strong/glad days.
Some standard SSN advice applies here...be kind and compassionate to yourself ..  you/we did nothing to deserve this.   Betrayal is one of the things we feel . .  Build your support system  of  family, friends, lawyer, priest, therapist, psychiatrist., here.   wherever you can find help.     As they live their new gay life  we authentic and kind people need an army of support to help process and get through it.   They had no rug ripped out from under them..

His behavior. .. (Mine became a raging monster ...complete denial and made up all kinds of ridiculous reasons she wanted a divorce....you didn't take out the trash and for that you cannot see the kids.)  Some spouses (I've read about a few ) are sad.  .  Many become, as you're seeing , selfish and self centered ..like teenagers.     While he may say and act like he is doing things for the kids now I urge you to be wary and  get everything you want in the settelment no matter how minor you think it is.
I say this because  with these spouses they can have a selfish or alterior motive behind everyting they do.

When I first came here I did not believe the advice I was given about how my wife would do these horrible things...but how right folks here were..

It sounds like you've taken positive steps... keep moving forward...baby steps if that's all you can manage but always forward..    It is an emergency and we must do what needs to be done.  For our kids  and for ourselves.

Write back even if you have to unload..  we get it.

A kind e-hug  (sincere and authentic..because we don't get many of those).

Last edited by Rob (April 12, 2017 11:24 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 12, 2017 11:14 pm  #3

If your spouse is not denying anything and, considering the circumstances, you've been working together, you may be spared some of the abuse and gas-lighting others here have dealt with. If he is truly coming out publicly you might see something like suppressed teenage gusto which could leave you as essentially the only mature adult to guide the kids. Another thing to possibly prepare for is hearing about whatever awesome things he is doing and people he is meeting while you might be staying home focused on the kids. Many of us have seen our former spouses leap into new relationships while we aren't sure we even want another one yet. In other words, we get something similar to PTSD with feelings of worthlessness and undesirability mixed in. There are ways you can deal with it, I'd suggest not following his personal life too closely, no social media following, keep the conversation focused on shared concerns like the children and not personal details. Don't put yourself down. Get out when you can and get involved in personal interests of your own. Start building a fabulous new life one piece at a time.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

April 13, 2017 2:45 am  #4

Ljb so sorry you find yourself here but in the circumstances it's a great place to be. Protect yourself emotionally, don't try and think of his feelings too much, he'll do plenty of that for himself and very little for you. Most of us are subjected to narcissism, we're "blamed" for allowing the situation develop and continue. All our faults and flaws are thrown back at us, it's their way of protecting themselves, making out the marriage wasn't good anyway because we were this and that so what did we expect. Don't expect compassion, empathy and respect for yourself, it's the rare gay spouse that can give that. The self centred selfish teenager comes out in 99% of them, I hear it passes, I'm still waiting (18 mths since TGT and have yet to see any remorse, respect or humility), it leaves you more hurt than the years of betrayal and deceit.

Keep coming back here to update and read other's stories and seek support from close family and friends, their ear and shoulder will be priceless in the months ahead.

Be kind to yourself, mani pedi, massage, and stay strong, you'll go through hellish times but hopefully you'll get stronger and seek a new future for yourself and your children in time, it takes times, lots of it!

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

April 13, 2017 8:18 am  #5

Thank you so much for your responses.  He is my best friend, or I thought he was, and I am trying to separate the friendship from the marriage.  He says he wants to remain close friends and I would like that also.

I looked up the definition of gaslighting and this is what I found.  A more psychologial definition of gaslighting is "an increasing frequency of systematically withholding factual information from, and/or providing false information to, the victim - having the gradual effect of making them anxious, confused, and less able to trust their own memory and perception.  

I feel like this fits me to a tee.  Though I want to be friends with him and miss him terribly, I feel like I can't trust him or my own feelings for that matter.   It is very confusing.  I don't want this divorce to be bitter and be the typical divorced parents.  I want for us to able to spend the holidays together with the kids and work together.  I just don't know if I am fooling myself.  

He has only been out of the house for a few weeks, and he is already plunging into his new life.  He has created a new facebook page, which I was told about.  I did not go looking.  This page is all about being gay.  He has started going out with new friends.  I know he has the right to live his own life, but it really feels like a slap in the face.  

Thanks for listening.

April 13, 2017 8:42 am  #6

Ljt, some couples can remain friends, I've read this can only happen if the gay spouse has respect for the straight spouse, perhaps he does (I haven't experienced it personally). I know of two couples where they have a good relationship, one took some years to get to that point though.

I guess it's individual to the couple and their personalities, the level of deceit etc involved. Hopefully it'll happen for you if that's what you want, or over time your wants could change, that's ok too. There's no cookie cutter approach to this situation but just keep yourself guarded.

It is extremely difficult to see them embrace this new found freedom, it's like they're going through their teenage years and they're their primary focus (of course this is their reality, they ARE their primary focus), the majority of them become very self serving and selfish, of course they don't see it as that.

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

April 13, 2017 11:40 am  #7

If there's behavior that seems common to almost every gay spouse that is embracing their sexuality, it's behaving like an adolescent again.  They seem to return to a phase (if you're lucky) of being very self-centered and sexually heightened.  In other words, they act like dumb, horny teenagers.  They want to go out constantly, are all about their physical looks and what it can get them, and trying on different partners.  They also often throw themselves with reckless abandon into the gay community - hanging out a gay bars, participating in parades, dressing and acting differently, having a whole new group of friends and establishments they frequent.

Even though many of the gay spouses do the above, not all of them will throw it in your face.  Some are just happy to pursue their bliss.  Others will try to rub the info in your face - I presume as a way of proving just how happy they are now, or trying to show that their life with you wasn't nearly this much fun.  I recommend blocking them on FB (which also blocks you from seeing them).  The less communication you have, the better.  Try to go no contact.  Missing them doesn't mean you should connect with them.  That's what you feel like doing, but it only prolongs the pain.  Try to only contact each other for real emergencies (one of the kids is in the E.R.), or for major child issues - like them getting into trouble with the law, or their grades being very poor.  Otherwise, make it so that all your child's information goes to your ex the same way it does to you.  Add them onto any electronic communications.  Call the school and give them your ex's address, and request that all grades and communication go to both addresses.  Then back away from being his secretary.  If you both have the same access to information, there is no need for you to hand-feed it to him.  Do NOT make plans to meet up for the kids' stuff or events.  Give him the info and if he shows up, he shows up.  If you bump into each other, you can be cordial.  "Hi.  Nice to see you.  Hope you're doing well".  That's.IT.  Walk away and tell your child you'll meet them at the car, and to take their time.  Allow them to chat with their father for a bit and to break off the conversation organically.  Do NOT "thank" him for coming.  No one thanks YOU for coming to your children's events.

Establish a plan that works well for both of you with regards to visitation pick ups and drop offs.  Don't contact your ex about the weekly plan unless you need to alter it.  Whoever has the kids has to accommodate them for any events they have.  If they have an overnight at a friend's on Sat. night, then whichever parent has them that weekend takes them and picks them up.  Do NOT get into the habit of parenting when it's not your weekend.

If he's been gas lighting you, I don't know why you'd want to remain friends.  I think we think we need to do this in order to see that we've risen above the circumstances.  Or that we're capable of remaining friends with someone unconditionally.  Friendships aren't supposed to be unconditional - if someone is a bad friend, you don't want to hang with them.  If he's lied to you, deceived you and betrayed you, I'd say he's not a person worthy of your friendship.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 13, 2017 7:49 pm  #8

Lib - I was married a little longer than you and also had two children.  Like you, I hoped to remain "friends" on some level, even if it took a little time and extra work.  Part of the reason I was open to the idea of remaining friends was that he kept saying that he wanted to remain friends, and would say stuff like, "Blah, blah, blah, so we can be friends again."  I took that to heart just like all the other BS (gaslighting) he spewed throughout the marriage, and really made serious efforts to forge a post divorce friendship; including going out to coffee with him (post divorce) and trying to have good conversations about the kids and things we used to share in common that were still of mutual interest.  Nice emails, birthday wishes, etc..  What did I get for it?  More gaslighting, more BS, more negative and derogatory comments being made about me to others and especially our children.  I hate to say it, and this may seem harsh, but don't count on it at all.  Even be prepared for the opposite.

I wish you the best of luck.  I really understand where you are and what you are feeling.  I was there too once.  I can't say that it never works; maybe for some it does,  but if he's a big gaslighter, I think you should just write that idea off and move forward without that notion in mind.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" - Sir Walter Scott

Board footera