OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2017 10:59 am  #11

Re: Not sure how long I can hang in

Lisa4,

Ditto what phoenix and Kel say..

I feel so sorry for you..   I'm not an angry person as folks here would say  but I don't understand why these gay in denial spouses have to be so evil and abusive.  Not sure if the reason matters.. we did not enter
a marriage to be treated this way... it is not humane let alone how one should treat a loyal spouse.

I stayed in my home for financial reasons... and more importantly to see my kids.  Without a parenting agreement in place she   would definitely had said  "you left" and I would never see my kids.   Every day she threatened to call the police and have me removed...all while raging and throwing things at me.. 
She would usually wait for the kids not to be around...such a good mother.   I would cower in my safe room
clutching my bible.    Sometimes the kids would join me if she was a big rage.  

I  cannot recommend   this for anyone.    But at the same time... if your paying the rent/mortgage/bills and you did nothing wrong.. you should not have to leave.    I concur with Kel... get a lawyer, open your account,  start gathering info and working the case.   At the same time tell him to live in that other section of the house.   
Its really over as your seeing....if he doesn't see it that could be a problem...he cannot be an abuser and a loving husband at the same.    And , as you can see,  no matter what your fears of the future are,  they become out weighed by your present abuse.    That was the turning point for me.

Do tell him if he touches you again you'll call the police.

Last edited by Rob (April 10, 2017 12:55 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 10, 2017 11:46 am  #12

He's looking at me with such hatred today. I wish he'd leave.

April 10, 2017 12:05 pm  #13

Lisa,

It's entirely possible that he IS texting this man back, but erasing the responses.  You'd expect to see an entire conversation then, but he can erase every.single.text to make it look as though he's being pursued but not reciprocating.  I'm sorry, but st8 men don't continue to have a relationship with any man who hits them up with they're not interested.  The fact that he's not telling the guy to go away means something alone.  He likes the attention from men.

I would move to the guest bedroom yourself if I were you.  I know it's not how you want things to go.  But I'd literally move my clothing and everything else I need on a regular basis into there.  Keep the door closed.  When you want to get away from life, go there and sit in your cacoon.  Put a TV in there if there's not one.  Show him that maybe you can't kick him out, but after yesterday, you're unwilling to be a team.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 10, 2017 12:59 pm  #14

Ditto what Kel just said.. You need a safe place.    
See my list of phone apps to give him the silent treatment right back..ignore his mean stare and texting..  I would not give him the time of day..give him crickets...nothing ... no reply..no conversation.. nothing.
Its really sad, but at this point, there is really nothing you have to say to him; there are no words you can say to repair what he is doing.   Its not you.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

April 10, 2017 2:05 pm  #15

Long story but he got a call earlier and if the business opportunity that he's looking at goes through, there's a  chance that he will be spending 4-5 nights per week away.  Ironically (or maybe not?) in the same town that the one mystery man in his phone works as well. 
I decided I'm going to get my ducks in a row and let him get back on his feet financially then see how much he stays away and then have a conversation about making it unofficially official to split up.  Right now it wouldn't behoove me to end our marriage but I will probably sleep in the guest room for a while. I don't want to because the bed hurts my back and my bedroom is my haven, but I guess I need to suck it up even more.  When will HE feel put out or inconvenienced for a change?
I will also make it clear what I will not be tolerating. I realized a bit ago that I have more power than I realized and plan to utilize it.

April 10, 2017 2:34 pm  #16

Yes - you have more power than you think. At the very least, you need to understand what cards you hold, so that when the time comes, you can choose to use them.

I hope he DOES get a job that keeps him away for days at a time!  That'll give you some space to detach and not have to be on edge all the time.  It'll also make it easier for the kids to not miss him as much.  All good things.  Not to mention child support and potential alimony.

Don't utter a WORD to him about divorce - just start getting your ducks in a row.  If he asks you straight out about a divorce, just do what he does - sidestep and deflect - "Why are you even ASKING me that?", "Oh, you mean you're afraid that I'll leave now that you never treat me well anymore?", or "or just "ummmm, what?"  Put HIM back on the defensive.

You have every right to want and attempt to get out of a trap that is crushing you to death.  You don't need to feel bad about it.

Kel

April 10, 2017 3:24 pm  #17

Kel wrote:

Don't utter a WORD to him about divorce - just start getting your ducks in a row.  If he asks you straight out about a divorce, just do what he does - sidestep and deflect - "Why are you even ASKING me that?", "Oh, you mean you're afraid that I'll leave now that you never treat me well anymore?", or "or just "ummmm, what?"  Put HIM back on the defensive.

Kel

About a month ago he mentioned living separately at least part time but I told him right now isn't the time to discuss it with him out of work  I have to just time this all appropriately.

April 11, 2017 6:08 am  #18

Last night some things started making sense to me.  Some "a-ha! Moments if you will".

When we met, I had two little girls from a previous marriage.  I recall that he was very much stuck on the fact that they were adorable and I would make cute kids. The fact that he played barbies with them drew me in, perhaps it should have been a warning.  He wanted to know immediately if I would have more children.
Our courtship was fast and furious. He wooed me, was compassionate, tender, caring and seemingly everything I was looking for.  I only had met his family (whom I later found out were mostly all kind of horrible) once and they seemed a little too excited that I was taking their 37 year old bachelor off their hands. 
He proposed at 3 months and I became pregnant that night.  We were married a month later.  Little did I know, I had become his beard and the host and caretaker to his offspring.  I thought we were building a life together based on love and trust.  I do think he loved me but not how I assumed he did.  I still think he loves me but like a sister or cousin. 
After we married I started finding out things he kept from me.  A history of having gotten "happy ending" massages, his sexual history supposedly including 50+ women including a stripper, letting his best friends wife give him oral sex (just learned that one recently), a DUI, the fact that he chewed tobacco,  oh and I didn't know that he had a history of changing jobs and moving a lot.  This was not the stable, reliable man I thought I married.

So our life together is based on lies. On me being his cover, which is why I believe he doesn't want to divorce me... so his homophobic family won't know and the outside world will see him as a family man with the devoted wife.  I provided him with children. No one has been the wiser.  Except me.  But like he said... he has secrets he will take to the grave. 

I'm hurt and angry, but mostly at what he did to my self esteem and the way he has controlled me.

April 11, 2017 11:06 pm  #19

So my husband is all over the place with his moods. We got past his anger two nights ago and we're okay the last two days but I did notice that he is keeping his distance and not really interacting with me or giving me the occasional hug anymore.  It's okay with me but I wonder what changed. 
A bit ago he came into the bathroom and I had no undies  on as I was changing.  I didn't skip a beat just talked as I proceeded to get my Jammie's on and he averted his eyes, and didn't communicate back.
After about 30 mins I wondered where he was and he was fast asleep in the guest room.  I surmised he is angry because I'm going away overnight tomorrow but he acted fine as when I told him.  I am starting a travel business and have training over an hour way so I decided I needed a break from him.  I go away somewhere one night per month and he always acts mad and jealous and accusatory. 
My friend said it seems like we are just gradually separating without officially doing so.  It does seem less painful this way but weird nonetheless.  And if we are separating I'd like it to be official so I can move on.

April 12, 2017 9:35 am  #20

I know that one of my biggest challenges was trying to get to the point of deciding upon divorcing - because before I'd made up my mind, I was still doing the things that showed caring toward my ex - cooking, cleaning, getting him a drink when I got up, etc.  It seemed impossible to decide against something that I was actively fostering.  I had to create distance within the relationship in order to get some perspective.  That was difficult to do without telling my dh why.  I started going out with girlfriends or having things to do nearly every night during the time when I would usually be interacting with my husband.  We had 3 young kids, so I would feed us all dinner, then clean up.  When the youngest was in bed (around 8:00), I would run out.  It gave me time to think and to begin the emotional separation.  (At that time, my mother-in-law also lived with us, as did an adult family friend.  So there were plenty of people to watch the kids).  If I wouldn't have been able to do that essential step of separating, I'm not sure I'd be divorced today.

It's a gift to you - in some ways - that you have this separation going on.  If he was love bombing you, it'd be much harder.  They make you out to be a monster then - they are doing everything you ever wanted, and you're STILL not happy.  They just want to BE with you and you won't even tolerate them lying next to you in the dark.

Try to look at any and all space as a way to get used to not being with him.  My ex was going to school in the evenings when we were biding our time between the announcement that I wanted to divorce and when he actually moved out (2 YEARS!).  Then he would go out with his colleagues after school - for food, or to sit and chat, etc.  He was living a single lifestyle while I was at home raising the kids, shopping, cleaning, working.  It was difficult to not be resentful - but every time I got angry inside of him shirking his responsibility, I would think that this was a GOOD thing - it got both the kids and I used to him not being there - to us running this thing alone.  It was its own form of detachment, and it worked.

Kel

Board footera