OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2016 3:25 pm  #11

Re: Getting off ADs

Thanks VC12 for the encouragement. I feel like I am on the right track but I'm a little afraid of returning to that horrible state I was in after Dday, after my dad died, and after a very bad me of it during the holidays. I don't really feel like that will happen, but I'm going to keep,a few of the meds on hand so I can up my dosage right away if things get rough. I've also got leftover Xanax in case of a short term need, like seeing my ex or something like that.

I appreciate the good wishes and I'm going to see how it goes....

July 15, 2016 12:25 am  #12

Hi Sue,
Did you notice any side effects from Paxil, weight gain?

July 15, 2016 4:13 pm  #13

No. I never had weight gain issues. I do have trouble reaching orgasm through just regular sex (sorry if tmi), but I've been on Paxil since I became sexually active, so it may very well be that that is just me (I have friends not on ADs with the same issue.) I have an anxiety disorder and Paxil seems to be the best for me. 

"You want a man who messes up your lipstick, not your mascara."

July 15, 2016 6:43 pm  #14

Well I just got back from a business trip, and I cried in the airplane and in the ladies room and in the car. Haven't done that in literally months. This was the first day I didn't take any medication, but I'm petty sure it couldn't have been such an immediate reaction, since Is is supposed to leave your system gradually. Unless I just hit the tipping point. That said, could be just the loneliness of traveling alone and the let down after a good trip.

I was going to come home and take a pill immediately but I think I'll wait and see how the weekend goes. I know it's ok to cry, but like I said, I can't go back to the place I was at last January. I really can't.

July 15, 2016 7:03 pm  #15

Keepinghope,

Do what you need to do.   But crying is ok ..dont be ashamed to cry.  We feel.  We live.  I doubt very much our gay spouses are crying.  And I don't want to be like them.  I'd rather be like you.

Last edited by Rob (July 15, 2016 7:05 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 16, 2016 12:39 am  #16

To Keepinghope and jkpeace,

Your stories hit home - long marriages and children. The divorce process is so painful, but when it's over you'll be relieved. There still will be other painful adjustments ahead, especially with children. Yet nothing in this experience compares to the pain of discovering you're married to a deceiver who stole authenticity from your marriage and mooched you out of years of your life. To me that was intolerably creepy - the deal breaker, especially as the lies still continued.

We straights all wondered what was wrong as our spouses dragged us along and watched us suffer. I see now that my ex enjoyed my bewilderment. He saw me in anguish over his behavior, yet he continued the emotional abuse through his charade.

The progress in moving forwards shows in these posts. Acceptance helps with the healing process.

You'll know when you're ready to start weaning off meds by how you function. You're doing it right. You consulted your doctor. The PTSD symptoms will likely still happen at times with or without meds. This is traumatic and recovery takes time.

Keep posting. You are not alone in this club that no one wanted to join. There is healing, peace, hope, and happiness again to be found. Stay strong.

July 17, 2016 1:08 pm  #17

Keepinghope,

Generally your doctor should have you titrating slowly off the meds. Going cold turkey is generally not a good idea. 

Sue

July 18, 2016 1:03 am  #18

Hi Sue, definitely tapering off slowly, and I might wait a bit longer before lowering it again. I'm at half dose, and the next step is every other day. Now that I'm officially past the one year mark (and survived the day) I think things will seem brighter again. It's possible that my anniversary just triggered a bunch of feelings and tears that would have happened no matter what. Thank you.

July 18, 2016 7:32 am  #19

Keepinghope,

I'm so glad you're titrating ... and I understand about anniversaries. My first (since he left) is coming up in about a month and my therapist mentioned it may be hard. She sort of put me on the lookout. 

Sue

July 18, 2016 10:07 pm  #20

I'm off the ADs...  I'm wondering if I even need to go back to my pill lady for a check up..  I'm thinking I can say time and money.  I want to thank her  but a note can do that.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera