OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2016 2:02 pm  #1

Getting off ADs

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on getting off ADs. I've only been on them for six months, but I was feeling so good and strong I thought I would try to stop. I took my docs advice and I'm slowly tapering off. I've noticed a little more sadness and tears but not negative or obsessive thoughts, and not endless crying. I've also been feeling very tired, low energy, and generally icky. I'm also not focusing well and forgetting things--sometimes pretty confused. I didn't notice that while on full dosage.

It's only been a year since Dday so maybe I'm just feeling all the stuff the AD was protecting me from, but I'm also wondering if some of these symptoms are from tapering off, and will go away once I adjust.

My Rx was escitalopram 10 mg, and I'm down to half that. Next step is take 1/2 pill every other day but I don't want to feel weak and tired anymore. I know this isn't the biggest issue around but I'm torn about tapering off or just keep taking them.

July 11, 2016 2:11 pm  #2

Re: Getting off ADs

I cut mine (not the same one as you) in half for a couple weeks a half every couple of days and then stopped..   I definitely can cry again.     Give it time.     Some days I think I need them again but I did not like being on them.    I may have been tired for a bit but then I generally don't sleep.    I'm feeling better physically now and hope I make it.    

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 11, 2016 6:04 pm  #3

Just my two cents.  The antidepressants are probably good initially, but will mute your feelings and not allow you to experience the normal grieving that you need to experience to move on.  I just very recently confirmed what I had been thinking for a while that my husband is gay, still in ultimate denial and narcissitic oblivion.  Guess I have a long road ahead right?  Are you in therapy?  I think that would be important to support you when you weaning off from the medication.  Maybe make up some fun names for Dday and look toward to the future.  I'm sure you have much happiness ahead, don't let yourself get stuck.  

July 11, 2016 6:30 pm  #4

Hi VC12 and Rob. Thanks for the responses.

I actually toughed it out about six months after Dday, and then my dad died. It threw me into a tailspin that scared me a little, so that's when I started ADs. I've had some therapy but didn't find someone who truly gets what this is all about.

Overall I feel pretty strong, and I'm a positive person. I got out of infidelity fast and finished the divorce in record time. I'm thinking this one-year anniversary is triggering me a little, that maybe I should wait a little longer to finish with the ADs.

Trust me, I've had time to process and I've been doing the work. I'm good with feeling what I feel, I just don't want to go back to being a crying-all-day mess. And I want to get my energy back, which is why I was wondering about "withdrawal."

Hmmm, fun terms for Dday? To me it felt like an atom bomb, I had no clue until a week earlier. After 25 years of marriage. Id like to have a more empowering term. But what?

July 11, 2016 10:31 pm  #5

Thanks JK, it's unbelievable, isn't it? It took me the better part of six months to actually accept that he did the things he did. I thought I knew him, thought he was a good guy, never thought he would cheat or stop caring for me. Yet, I was wrong on each count and more. Ugh.

I separated and started divorce proceedings immediately, sounds like you are similar in moving forward quickly. I refused to be treated so disrespectfully, and I couldn't see a future constantly checking and spying. No thank you. We are older, second marriage, so kids were grown, which made it easier to go, but oh my, the pain was excruciating.

It took me a while, but I'm so glad I found this site, as well as SSN meetings in my city. Thanks for writing, and for the support.

July 11, 2016 11:51 pm  #6

Probably not much help, but I think there is almost always an adjustment when getting off meds. I don't think it necessarily means there is something still "wrong" just because you feel different at first. That being said, I'm not sure how one would know if they still needed to be on the drugs or not. I guess those are questions for a doctor. I might try to see a psychiatrist rather than a family doctor to manage this.

I've been on both Wellbutrin and Prozac for years now - at least 12 years on the Wellbutrin and maybe 7 on Prozac. I have no reason to think about getting off of either. I become a raging mad woman otherwise. I was like this before TGT, though. I prefer to think of it as a chemical imbalance that I correct through prescriptions. But I also don't have any side effects that I know if.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

July 12, 2016 1:29 pm  #7

Thanks Kel. I just wasn't sure, since I've never been on meds like this before. I'm working closely with my MD and kind of know what to watch for. After a little more research I think the fatigue is something else. Could just be this whole last year catching up with me, or the low-grade stuff I'm picking up from grand daughters.

Think I'm going to keep,tapering off, rest more, eat better, meditate and just see what happens. I'm guessing I will be fine but if it seems that I feel hopeless or stuck in sadness I can always go back on.

I (as one who never takes pills), must say the ADs made a huge difference in my ability to calm down and attend to healing. If I need them I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

July 12, 2016 4:20 pm  #8

Keepinghope,

You sound like you are on the right track, keeping tabs on how you are feeling, and if it gets to where you need to stay on or return to taking the medication, then that's what you need.  All of this is so incredibly exhausting, the emotional stress and the 1 year anniversary is an energy zapper I'm sure.  I think taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do, and find support here.  i  am learning how to do that myself.  Hard after so long not doing so.  

July 13, 2016 8:53 am  #9

I'm with Kel. I've been on Paxil for years and was doing really great. When TGT came along I had to up my dose and add two other drugs (another antidepressant and an anti-anxiety) to get through. My eventual plan will be to go back to the lower dose of Paxil alone. But at 11 months in, I am not in any hurry. I am waiting until the divorce is final. 

The added drugs meant I could sleep, decreased both depression and anxiety.

I'm just not willing to go without. 

"You want a man who messes up your lipstick, not your mascara."

July 13, 2016 10:11 am  #10

Good for you Sue..     It still amazes me ....we're on all kinds of medication and going to therapy etc..  Our gay spouses see nothing wrong with what they are doing..  

I'm trying to get on with my life so to me that means getting off the ADs that made me shake..my divorce can be described as the earthquake from hell;  the trauma of betrayal made me shake, the gay rage made me shake, and then the ADs made me shake..    My doc denied they should make my hands tremble but they did.    Anyway I'm steady now provided I avoid the gay narcissistic rage.  no contact helps a lot.

That all said,  I would take them again in a second...  One needs to be so stoic and strong against the gay sense of superiority and entitlement...against the wickedness. 

Last edited by Rob (July 13, 2016 4:02 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera