OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2017 8:20 pm  #31

Re: Telling my adult children

My ex is gay. We have four children all over 18. He has been an expert gaslighter. I now have that word to explain the previously inexplicable. The children all blame me. They treat me with the contempt they think I deserve for being the cause of the divorce. I have covered for him now for over twenty years. I have put my children first. I remarried the most loving beautiful straight man who worships me and my body and I have put my children's every need ahead of him. However, they all come to me when things go wrong, of course. "Dad would do it if he could, but he has no money, that's all." He is now living with the love of his life. P was the third person in my marriage. They aren't living as a gay couple though. Still in denial. Whether he is gay or not isn't the issue. The issue is his denial and self hatred. That he married me and has projected all that blame and self hatred onto me, and trained our children to do the same. So finally I have had enough of the cover up. The youngest two are twins. They are 18 and have left home. They came back for a happy family Easter and it was anything but. Because I have had a break from it all I could see it all too painfully clearly.  It is time for me to speak the truth to them. My husband is worried that it may make things worse. One or more may hate me more, he says, I need to be prepared for that. They may do. It can't be worse than upholding this lie. And then being treated with contempt for it. So I will tell them and then at least we will all be living whatever reality it is. I have been living his lie for over twenty years. Now it is time for them to live with my truth.

Last edited by Motheroffour (April 18, 2017 8:23 pm)

April 19, 2017 4:16 am  #32

Hi motheroffour,

You've tried for over 20 years to do it his way and that hasn't worked. My three are all in their 20s, I didn't have the dilemma of whether to tell them or not, we're 18mths post TGT and it was my 22 year old found out, his father allowed the situation develop whereby my son witnessed him on Grindr, my son confided in one of his sisters. He withheld this information from me until he was clear in his head what he witnessed was correct, the other sister was told and my son (the youngest) confronted his father.................all before I had any idea of any of it!

So for me my three children knew of their father's homosexuality before he had the balls to disclose to me. In the aftermath of it all my children probably learned too much but two of them said they'd far rather know what we're dealing with, the third backtracked, asked personal questions at first and decided afterwards she shouldn't have been told any of the details, even though when she asked questions I knew the answer to I asked her was she sure she wanted to ask that question. She's the one who has shown more empathy for her father than me. The other two totally get it from my perspective and can see his wrongdoing............... over 28 years married, 25 of them he was living a depraved seedy double life.

I'd love to have been afforded the opportunity to have some say in how, when and what my children were told, we can never go back.

I think you've covered for your ex for long enough, it suits him that your children blame you for the divorce, why would he want to rock that boat but it's time for you to speak YOUR truth and for your children to know the truth. I think giving him an ultimatum is good idea, the only thing you don't want to happen is he tells them alone and you don't have an input or a clear picture of what's being said, you need to be there and hear for yourself what he says if he chooses to try and tell them alone. Tell him you've had enough, it's not that you CAN'T cover up for him anymore it's that you WON'T. Even if they do hate you more at least they'll know the truth and will know why you divorced, ask them if they'd be willing to live with a gay partner just for the sake of the children. Now that they're adults I'm sure they would not. And I'd think even it they initially "hated" you it'd be short lived and a knee jerk reaction they'd overcome. I wouldn't wish how mine found out on anyone, having some input yourself is not a lot to ask for now that the youngest have reached 18.

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

April 19, 2017 4:50 am  #33

Thank you so much for your answer. I think my post may have been a bit confusing in some parts. I'm new to this and the jargon that helps clarify things. I divorced the GIDX 12 years and remarried six years ago. The husband I refer to who was worried about the kids response is my loving straight" oh my god- the difference! " husband...  I don't care about the gidx just the kids. Reading your experience really helps. And everyone on this forum. I have just told my eldest daughter 20. She listened carefully. Not letting it in. So I talked more. Framing it as, when you reflect on it it will click formyou. I gave her examples. Told her my side through experiences I know she remembers but from my perspective this time. How he has controlled their narrative. That is she asks hm if hens gay he will probably still deny it. But I know he is. I said once Yu have had six with a gay man you know. And hopefully you won't ever have to! She giggled in acknowledgement. . I repeated that him being gay is not my problem, but the deceit etc is. She knows that about me anyway. She said to me that the only pain she has from the divorce was that I shouted at her lots and that hurt. So I said yes I did and I am so sorry that happened. But that she remembered that mainly as it was what GIDX reinforced for her. She has no other pain from the divorce because I protected her from everything else. I even managed. To say that she has had. False father and the bestmother anyone could ever ask for ( go me!). But I can carry the contempt no longer. Then her tears started. I think we may be on our way to better days. Now for the other three... I am reading everything you all say and much of it is so affirming for me. It brings tears and release and a renewed confidence that this is right, and the right time. My husband is supporting me and doing all our farm work too as I am so emotionally exhausted I am useless. But finally after all these years the truth is coming out no I am starting to regain my confidence in my own truth. Love you all xxx

April 19, 2017 5:13 am  #34

motheroffour,

Sorry I took you up incorrectly, Ah the difference between your GIDX and your "real" husband saying they may hate you more is worlds apart!!! I get your husband is looking out for you, that's great, perhaps in time he can have an honest talk with your children about coming into your life as a survivor of a GIDX, it may help them understand you and your situation somewhat!

I'm glad you decided to be honest with one offspring, the first would probably have been the hardest, the others will become easier as you gain confidence in your decision and your truth!!

Good luck with the remaining three and well done on getting your truth out to your daughter. XX

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage in someone else's war against themselves

April 19, 2017 10:41 am  #35

Telling others--our adult children, especially--is so tied up with the question of "outing" a closeted gay spouse. I have struggled with this myself, as I am still living with my closeted spouse and we work in the same place (both of these conditions will change in not too long). I am one of three people who my spouse has come out to (me, a family member, a friend--one to whom he came out before he told me!); I am the only one who knows in his day-to-day life.  He expects that I will stay in his closet, although I think he sometimes fears I will not, which has resulted in some instances of "love bombing" that I believe were designed to secure my silence (the first time occurred right after I started seeing a therapist). Our child does not know.  For two years now, while I have lived and worked in the same place he does, I have kept his secret. 
    The result of living in my husband's closet has been that I have been isolated--from my colleagues, my family, my friends.  I feel I can't be honest about my life and the struggles I'm going through.  I weigh daily the price and cost of telling or not telling my story, think deeply about who bears and will bear what cost and pay what price, and why. It's a trade-off for me; to stay silent has its costs, but I know there will be a price to pay if/when I tell.  So far, my weighing the costs/price and benefits has come down on the side of keeping publicly silent (besides my presence on this forum, I do have two close friends who know, one in town, one out of town, and I see a therapist).  
   I think we each have to make the decision based on our own circumstances and in our own time, and we need to respect the decisions each of us has made and support each other, whatever the decision.  I've read eloquent and moving posts by those who kept their silence; I've read equally eloquent and convincing posts by those who told.  
    I don't know how my husband can believe that the benefits of living dishonestly outweigh the costs of living honestly (not to mention the price we both pay now, living dishonestly); it's not the choice I would make if I were him. In weighing my own decision and timing, I have decided there's a distinction to be made between "outing" my husband out of a sense of vindication or revenge and his being "outed" as a consequence of my telling my story.  When I tell my story--and I will--it won't be out of some desire to hurt him or "make him pay" or to "pay him back"; it will be because I have a right to my own story, and I need to live honestly.  If that means he will have to begin living honestly himself, then that's the price he's going to have to pay, just as I'll have to bear the cost of losing the respect and friendship with those of my colleagues who will believe that keeping his secret is more important than telling my truth.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (April 19, 2017 10:54 am)

April 19, 2017 12:48 pm  #36

OutofHisCloset -

Our gay exs forfeited the right to keep their sexuality private by marrying us straight spouses under false pretenses.  We have a gay man here in the office whom EVERYONE knows is gay.  But he never speaks of it - says "We did X" when describing home.  Never a pronoun him/her, or a name.  Fine.  He wants to keep his sexuality under wraps from his coworkers, totally his right.  I'm never going to ask him about a partner, because it's clear he doesn't mix business and personal life.  Fine.  You can be a out-and-proud gay, or a closet gay - and that's your choice.  But you DON'T get to marry a straight person, have babies with them, come out, and then ask that it be kept private.  As if it's "YOUR" secret.  You have a SHARED life.  The straight spouse is as entitled to tell their truth just as the gay spouse would have been entitled to hide thiers - IF they didn't get with a straight spouse under false pretenses.

That being said, I realize that it's not always the best choice to tell everyone about your gay ex.  My ex's family made sure Grandma never knew (she was like, 98!).  It would serve NO purpose but to dissapoint / dismay her, and we all feared that she would treat our children differently than all the other great-grandchildren.  Part of me said, "Then LET her - if that's who she is, her great-grandchildren deserve to know".  And the other part of me realized that we lived 4 hours from great grandma and saw her maybe once a year.  Just. let it. BE.

If keeping your spouse's secret is causing alienation from your friends and family, then you are giving up your own life in some manner so that he doesn't need to give up his.  You think, "How kind I am".  But it's Chump Lady kinda stuff.  HE isn't putting you first.  He hasn't all along.  His attempts at getting you to keep his secret are transparent.  Pull the plug on him.  Who knows - maybe he'll be much happier living an authentic life once the truth is out there and he has nothing left to fear.

Motheroffour - I personally think that all children of gay spouses married to straight SHOULD be told.  They have every right to know the truth that is their own lives.  It gets confusing because we have always hid our sexuality from our children.  We don't walk around making sexual jokes in front of them, or talk about our tryst with our partner (whether it be their other parent or not), and we don't talk about what we like in the bedroom.  It's private.  So we get into this trap of thinking of sexual preference as being about sex.  And it is therefore off-limits to the kids.  If you put sexual preference in the box of "private intimacy", then you never have a need to tell the kids - and you probably shouldn't.  Private intimacy should truly only be discussed between the people sharing it.  HOWEVER,..... sexual preference is NOT purely "sexual".  It is a core pillar of someone's personality.  Your children thought they knew these things about their father before any other truths came into play:
1.  He is a male
2.  He is straight
3.  He loves Mom

The rest allllll came after - what kind of integrity he has, what his favorite foods are, whether he likes sports or not, and how he shows affection and dissatisfaction.  Before ANY of that was male, straight, loves Mom.  If one (or more) of those things is not what they thought it was, then they do not truly know that person any longer.  This is why we feel so off-kilter when we find out our spouse is gay.  Because we built a foundation on a core pillar that wasn't what we were told it was.  Which means that someone was lying to us about their very essence.  And suddenly, you feel as though your entire relationship with them has been a lie.  Because they KNEW you assumed X about one of their core pillars, and they did not correct you.  They continued to let you believe a lie.  Which means they actively participated in lying you to the point where you never knew them when you thought you did.  You were having a relationship with someone that literally didn't exist. 

This is also why it's so difficult to be told that your straight parent is gay.  But if it's THAT big of a deal, then it most certainly needs to be told to the people who have relationships with him that are built on lies.  He should tell them.  But if he won't, then you do it.  Because they deserve to know.  They deserve to know that not only is he not who they thought he was (and they are therefore not having an authentic relationship with him), but he wasn't who Mom thought he was.  Which wasn't fair to her.  It means she couldn't continue the relationship without throwing herself into the fire.  And so you then have compassion for your mother.  And you know more of your father's true character.  Which you deserve to know if you're going to continue a relationship with him.

They do not need to be told how to feel.  They do not need details - especially ones they don't ask for.  People think they want to know these things, but there's no answer that will fully satisfy them - because they can't understand.  So don't tell them that (example) he sometimes couldn't get hard.  It draws a mental picture that makes them want to puke.  Tell them instead that it was clear that he was not excited by the female body.  Then let them extrapolate.  If the say, "What do you mean?" You say, "Sweetie - you're an adult.  I'm sure that you can figure out what I mean when I say that."  Tell them how you felt lonely, and were often lonley in their father's presence.  And he knew - you told him.  And he didn't care enough to fix the problem.  Or maybe he couldn't fix the problem.  Either way, it wasn't going to change.  And you decided that while leaving wouldn't ensure your happiness, staying would ensure your UNhappiness.  And that you couldn't keep living that way.  They need to be told the truth, and how YOU feel.  What you've suffered through, and how cheated you were.  And how you're finally living authentically now.

Your children will not likely hate you.  I'm not sure why your current husband is saying that.  Maybe he believes it.  Or maybe he just wants to brush this thing under the rug and have it all go to sleep already.  Because after all, if the kids get told, there will a time period where it's all about your ex.  That's difficult for any man.  Your current husband wants to feel like none of this should matter now that he's in your life.  That he's giving you enough love and everything else to have your ex fade into the background.  And no matter what he's doing, that's not happening.  I think though that as long as you keep your ex's secret, your children will continue to blame you for the divorce, and it keeps this beast alive.  Let the truth out.  Let it marinate for a while.  Then it will start to decompress.  THEN it won't constantly be about your ex.  Tell him this.  That you're tired of anticipating the explosion.  Let's pull the rip cord and support each other through the mayhem that follows.  So we can get to the other side.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (April 19, 2017 12:59 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

April 19, 2017 2:25 pm  #37

Kel,
 You're not telling me anything I don't already know and haven't already thought about.  My situation, however, is not yours, and not others', either--my spouse is not gay, but a cross dresser and self described autogynephile who only five years ago gave a name and shape to his discomfort with himself as a male.  He didn't marry me under false pretenses.  And when he first disclosed to me, he intended to come out and live openly as if he were a woman.  It was only when he backed away to give himself time to consider what he wanted to do that he hoped I'd keep his confidences.  
  And, here's something you don't know; I have more than half a suspicion that my spouse, despite his fears of being outed, would like me to out him, in order to relieve him of the necessity of doing it himself--and I'm not about to do that work for him.)  

April 20, 2017 7:08 am  #38

Thanks for your reply, Kel.
My decision to talk about my GIDx was based on the fact that my children relate to me through their father's interpretations. If he had stepped back and allowed me to have my own relationship with my children and not poisoned them with malicious lies to protect himself, I would have had no need to tell them. I covered for him and put up with the contempt for 25 years.
As others have said, the divorce was traumatic as he presented such a gentle and reasonable front, anything I said was proof that he was the victim!!! I have waited until they are all old enough to leave home.
My daughter said to me that the only pain she felt from the divorce was due to my anger, I replied that the fact that she only remembers that is because that was her father's focus and that she has no other pain was simply due to how well I had protected her from what was really going on. That was the opening point to a fuller explanation. She has a child herself and has just left the father. I could be much more open about how I know he is gay than I would with a younger child... I could then describe situations that she remembers as a child, but from my perspective, which of course she had never considered before.. tears began to flow. She bought me a bunch of flowers afterwards, the first time I have had a gesture of kindness from any of my kids spontaneously, ever... now for the other three...
My beautiful husband was only concerned about the disclosure causing me more pain. Not about himself. That is part of ' the difference". Living with a man who puts me first. How can such a creature really exist!
Thank you for all your posts, your words have given me the confidence to take this step finally.

Board footera