OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2017 12:25 am  #1

Telling my adult children

Our kids don't understand why I'm leaving their dad. He refuses to tell them the truth. Can I? Will it hurt them worse than the lies? They are 23 and 27.  My first therapist (a man) said it could do more harm than good by damaging their relationship with their father. My new therapist - a woman - hasn't given me a clear answer to this question - I've only been twice and she's still focusing on my feelings.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to hurt them or freak them out but I'm so tired of lies.

February 7, 2017 2:11 am  #2

Re: Telling my adult children

Tell them. It's the truth, and they deserve that.  They can decide what to do with their relationship with their father.  They may already kind of know.  Don't be surprised if they tell you they've known for a while now that something was off.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

February 7, 2017 7:11 am  #3

You're kids deserve the truth.  They will respect you for it because they either already know or eventually will.

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

February 7, 2017 8:03 am  #4

Absolutely tell them the truth. My kids were similar ages at DDay, and my daughter had already found and heard things that she never told me about until after I told him to leave.  They are adults, and whatever relationship they will have with their father is up to them, but they deserve the truth from you. Good luck.

February 7, 2017 8:36 am  #5

This is also something I struggle with.  One of my very first posts here included this aspect of things, and boy, did I get an earful from people who said in no uncertain terms that my son (age 27) was an adult and should hear the truth.
  I'm still struggling with this question of if and when I should tell him.  My husband is not gay but a cross-dresser in private who although he would like to live publicly as if he were a woman probably won't come out or alter his body with hormones for some time (he has powerful incentives at work and with his aging father to keep it private).  His sexuality/identity is not other directed, as it is with gay men and women, but at himself as a woman. That changes the dynamic somewhat.  
  If my husband had announced he were gay, I would, because my child is in his mid-20s, probably do as someone else on the forum did, and give him an ultimatum and time window (xx number of months) to do it himself before I did.  I know how damaging it is to all of us to live in our partners' closet; most of us professed profound relief when we found this forum and could finally talk about what had been going on in our lives.  Only in conversation with others going through the same thing do we get perspective, a supportive community, advice, and the opportunity to grow, find our courage, and begin to hope we can and will heal.  So I believe that it's important that we straight spouses should not be held hostage to our partners in their closets.  
  However, I think that all situations are different, and that all advice about whether to tell children has to be listened to with a grain of salt.  Family situation matters; the psychology and developmental stage of each child matters.  Even the gay partner's intentions in the future matter--if your partner has left in a gay affair, the children will know; if the marriage is ending but the gay partner is still in denial, they won't.
  If my children were young, and I were sharing custody, then I think it imperative that they know, as the likelihood their father would eventually enter a relationship with a man is high, and they need to know.  I also think jkpeace is right in saying that for the sake of any of your children who themselves might be questioning their sexuality homosexuality should not be stigmatized.  The problem isn't that the spouse is gay; it's that your sexualities are incompatible, or the partner cheated or stepped out or can't commit to you or to the marriage.  
  Below I've pasted in part of a letter I recently wrote this to my mother (a letter that I haven't yet sent), about my worries about telling--or not telling--my son.  I believe it captures some of the issues relevant to my situation.  I imagine each of us has a version of this.
"If I tell him why I’m ending the marriage, he’ll be thrown into a situation in which he’ll start questioning his own masculinity—and probably our whole past as a family (that’s certainly what happened to me).  If I don’t tell him, will he blame me for the divorce?  If we simply tell him it was a joint decision, what effect will that have on his own ideas of relationships, or the way he conducts himself in a relationship?  If I don’t tell him and he finds out in the future, will he blame me then for not telling him earlier?  How might his girlfriend—or whatever woman he’s with at the time--react if/when she hears about this?"

February 7, 2017 10:03 am  #6

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. The questions you posed in your letter are just what I worry about with my son. He is feeling a lot of stress already and I fear adding to his load. He also works with my husband now in our family business. What would that do to his relationship? I don't think he'd be able to keep working with him.

February 7, 2017 10:11 am  #7

Thank you for of all the replies. I do believe they deserve the truth. They've witnessed a false marriage for most of their lives - they should know why their parents didn't display a loving supportive relationship. I'm so tired of lies. I just don't want to damage my son more. My daughter lives in NYC and is in the arts. She will be able to deal with this much more easily than my son who lives and works with my husband in our small, conservative town. He will not believe it. My husband, like many of yours I'm sure, does not in any way fit the stereotype of a gay man. Sometimes I think it would be easier just to say he had an affair and leave it at that. So confused and conflicted.

February 7, 2017 12:57 pm  #8

Hi,
I understand your desire for everyone to know ideally your kids would know the truth however I think it's your husbands secret to tell.  If you tell your kids it's out there you can't put it back in.  You don't know how your kids will react, naturally they're going to want to believe the story that's easiest to digest, if he denies it says your crazy and making up lies they could take his side and see you as bitter and lashing out, it could have the opposite effect than what you desire.  I really don't think you should tell them if you don't have his support.  You need to work with him to come up with a plausible excuse and there are many.  We don't love each other is one very good one.  You should encourage your kids not to settle in their relationships and that's how you should approach it.  They likely saw you guys weren't happy, play that up don't out your husband it could epically backfire.  Let's not forget one of the main themes of this board, they're expert liars he'll wiggle his way out of this and you'll end up the bad guy.  Remain the level headed and strong one and work on maintaining your relationship with your kids. 
​Vicky

February 7, 2017 3:20 pm  #9

It may be *his* secret, but it's her life, too.  And this is a very real, very big part of it.  Just because they don't want to live authentically doesn't mean I don't want to.  If MY story is "my ex is gay", then I don't feel it's purely his story to tell.  It's mine, too.  I'll respect his decision not to tell his own family (whom I never see anyway) - that's fine.  That's his secret to keep from the people in his life that aren't in mine.  But there is no way I'm staying in the closet with him.  I never wanted to be there in the first place.

Kel

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

February 7, 2017 3:28 pm  #10

Kel I agree that would be ideal BUT...she needs to weigh the risks.  Read what I wrote there's a very real possibility this will blow up in her face as it has for others on here.  It might temporarily relieve her mind but she could lose out too.
Vicky

Board footera