OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2017 12:07 pm  #1

Stay married?

When my husband and I were married 35 years ago, we were part of the "Christian" belief that my husband could change his sexual orientation.   He through his life into changing from gay to straight.  When we did get married, those who supported him in his journey believed that he was ready for marriage.  That includes me, as I bought into the lie that through God and a lot of therapy, one can change his sexual orientation.  So he never came into the marriage trying to hide something from me.  We were both deceived by those in the church who believed this.  Over the years he would share recurring struggles regarding his sexual orientation with me but he would continue in his effort to be straight.  In recent years, we've both moved away from Christianity and both now believe that all research indicates that sexual orientation is something that one is born with and can't be changed.   My husband has always been my best friend, my advocate, my sounding board and a wonderful father to our children.  But I have come to understand that he can never love me in the way that I love him -- I am not referring to sex but intimacy.  He also has been secretly going to adult book stores and I think he has come to terms with the fact that he is gay, not ex-gay.  This is very painful for him as well and he would not have chosen this path for his life.   So we are both in a great deal of pain and I know it hurts him deeply to know how much pain this has caused me.  We are both in our 60s now.  It seems crazy to get divorced at this point in our lives, but it is so painful for me to live with someone who I feel is the love of my life although I know I will never be that to him.   Finances are not the issue if we were to divorce.  Any advice?  Are there others out there who have faced similar circumstances?   

January 29, 2017 1:16 pm  #2

Re: Stay married?

Tulip..I am 71 and had been married for 31 years. I am now going through a divorce. He became very distant and uninvolved in our life. There was no intimacy for years. After he moved out for the last time,he had left twice before,I discovered he was gay. It all makes perfect sense now. He has been gay since he was young. He has been gone for three years now and I have never felt better,I no longer have to wonder what the problem is and try to fix it. Once I realized this was his problem,I knew why nothing felt right.
I would rather have peace in my life than live with someone who could not love me.
I am sorry you find yourself here. You will find answers to your questions,just read through the older posts from those who have been through this. It is a hard situation to be in but you will be ok.

January 29, 2017 1:37 pm  #3

Hi Tulip. so sorry to hear your story - I can relate to the amount of pain you must be in right now.  It's what you weren't getting.  One empty smile, one lack of a caress at a time.  It catches up to you. 

I am in my sixties.  I got divorced 3 years ago now.  I didn't know, my gut had been screaming at me for so many years but he kept it hidden.  When I did know my gut response was to get divorced.  For a while I thought of staying anyway, was it the right thing to do, weren't we too old, but I could recognise that it was emotionally healthier for both of us even tho he didn't want to divorce.  And actually after a while I realised it didn't matter how scared I was to leave, I was more scared to stay.

Can I ask a question - how did you find out he was secretly visiting adult book stores?

hugs.

January 29, 2017 3:20 pm  #4

Thank you everyone for your words, understanding and support.  

Lily - in answer to your question about how I knew he was going to adult bookstores, I saw a charge on the credit card bill that I didn't recognize.  The name of store was innocuous so I googled it to see what type of expense it was.  When I saw that it was an adult bookstore, I looked at past bills and saw that the store had been frequented for months.   

January 29, 2017 4:29 pm  #5

okay.  Tulip, I think it's a real possibility you have to brace yourself to face up to a whole lot more you don't know about.  If you are having sex with him I also think you have to consider STD's.  From what I understand the adult bookstores are often hook up spots.  sorry.  

Personally speaking, I have found that getting divorced hasn't been about gaining a future so much as facing up to my past.

It has taken courage and not easy, but from the first day I woke up in my new home, soul deep I am more relaxed.  

January 29, 2017 6:57 pm  #6

I don't know how all of you made it through.  The fact that you did is holding me up right now.  I've been crying on and off all day.  There is so much that two people go through together in so many years of marriage.  I had cancer about five years ago and he was there for me, taking care of me.  I don't know how to move forward without him.  It would be easier if he was an a-hole.  I don't expect a response.  I know that all of you have had your own painful journeys. Thank you all for being here.

January 29, 2017 7:20 pm  #7

So sorry Tulip.  Different time indeed.  Mine is bi, and I had NO idea, learning on my anniversary the news, after years of a BAD life (for him and me), given his medical problems.  As you state, we are comfortable together, share many likes/interests, and enjoyed years of each other's friendship and support. I feel like I am his mother, and he does love me and I him, just that between his medical and his unmet needs for male companionship, I don't ever feel that we will be whole.  I am sad all of the time, and miss passion in my life, but also temper that with no nearly 30 year marriage has teenager like attraction and awe anymore, and I should just be happy with someone who is my friend and who is finally a nicer person to be around post truth coming out (I found out, quite ugly scene, he did not willingly tell...nor did he tell his therapist of nearly 10 years until a few months before I found out).  I keep telling myself that the age old adage that the grass is greener on the other side is true, and all these men that come onto me (unsolicited, and unreciprocated, but quite a bit of late) would only be a passing fling, not the bond I have with my spouse, but also feel lost and lonely most of the time, and more of a mommy figure than a love interest for my spouse given all my years of caretaking while he was ill (still is).  I know caregivers talk about feeling this way was well.  True lost girl.

January 29, 2017 7:34 pm  #8

Tulip - yes it hurts a lot.  Hard to imagine how painful it is, it just hurts a lot.  get as much rest as you can and be kind to yourself at all times.

hugs.

January 29, 2017 7:54 pm  #9

My situation is different because my husband, who had admitted after we were married to being "bi", announced  after his parents died and he had had a health crisis that he was gay and was ending the marriage.

I responded at the time that I would date because I was devastated and angry that after years in a cold and sexless marriage at almost 60 I was going to have to start over. I thought that I should just die and make it all easier for him and the children: none of them needed me any longer. I was what I had felt like for years: a superfluous woman.

Then I contacted the Straight Spouse Network and it passed my contact information along to a wonderful woman who by phone helped me stop feeling like a failure. I consulted an attorney to get the spousal support I needed. I found a pamphlet at church for widows on how to rebuild and I started rediscovering the parts of myself that I had let go of in order to get by. I started planning a future without him.

Despite my flippant comeback I did not date immediately. I realized that I was too broken to be a partner to anyone who was not a total wreck himself. I did become more outgoing however and I paid more attention to my appearance. I tried new things. As I felt happier I smiled more and the world smiled back. Post-divorce I realized that in all likelihood I would be better off financially not to marry but latter-in-life relationships can be happy ones.

It has been over six years since his announcement. We are divorced and I maintain a cordial relationship with him and his family because of our children, for which the children are grateful. I would never have thought to leave him because after 30+ years I had accepted that this was just how marriages become but once he opened that door and left I realized how much I'd missed and how lucky I have been to get this chance to seek joy.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

January 29, 2017 8:06 pm  #10

Abby...good for you!  Hard to let that anger go when someone has used years of your life as crutch for their inability to own who they are (not in anyway minimizing the difficulties in so doing in this judgmental world we live in).  The whole bi thing, admittedly, has me waiting on the other shoe to drop in my situation...but honestly, I am numb to it all... having been through entirely too much with that and his medical problems.  I am like a work horse past her prime whose back is concave from the load she has pulled over 30 years.  IF that ends up being the case (gay v. bi), at least I can finally move on without regrets that I did not honor my vows and that I tried my best to help my spouse sort it out, when God knows I had every right to bolt like someone left the barn door open. 

Last edited by fembotreturns (January 29, 2017 8:07 pm)

Board footera