OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2016 11:27 pm  #11

Re: new feelings

So sorry you are here.  I read your post and i was struck by the similarities to my experience and what happened to me.  The seemingly confused wife who has the affair at work and can't believe that she can be in love with two people.   Blah blah blah.   In my case she choose her AP.   As others have pointed out I think once the line has been crossed she won't turn back.  What is worse is that because this is at work you don't know if they have stopped.   Yes - mine pleaded that she had stopped etc but it was all lies.   With the benefit of hindsight I would have asked her to leave as soon as I found out.  My marriage was over a long time before we split and the rest of that time was just her setting things up to leave. All the marriage counseling etc was a waste of time because they didn't stop their affair.  I agree snooping is toxic and a clever partner can hide things.  In the long run it's far better to see that your relationship is dead and move on - they have.   
If nothing else - please see an attorney.  You mentioned you are in the middle of building a house.  Presumably there is debt etc and  you need to know your rights.  I am still stunned at how quickly my ex went from being someone who said they loved me etc to clearly hating me.
Now - while I do grieve the loss of my intact family I am so glad to be free of someone who become so toxic to be around.  Plus a straight a woman is just so much better - for me.
Keep posting and  good luck.

Last edited by Laurence (December 9, 2016 11:42 pm)

December 10, 2016 6:15 am  #12

Loyal,

Listen to the words of Laurence and others here.

I spent two years,most of this year, in hell..divorcing her.  Most of it was her learning how a divorce works.

You and she have to face the reality of what she did. ..that house your building...it matters little..she may have ruined it...dont dare for a millisecond think you did.. These spouses know the rules of marriage..
Rule 1...dont hurt the kids.
Rule 2...dont cheat. .

But.. rule 2 implies rule1.  We/they can try to minimize hurt to the kids but they ultimately did it by breaking rule 1.

But I said may.  You may be able to still build the house..you can put anything you want in the divorce settlement.   These gay in love spouses are the worst though..they pick the worst possible time to have their affairs..they are not thinking of the kids or reality.
Please get attorney for yourself..
What many of these cheating spouses don't realize as they divorce us is they want half/all of the assets. .but they also get half the debt.

Your now loyal to those kids...they need someone who is putting them first. ..your wife by carrying on an affair is not it...she may say she is and act it.  But you can look at the house dilemma and see she did not put them first.

Don't shoulder the entire burden of the affair.  I'll close with this..when my divorce was finalized my now ex got angry as usual when I told her no..I would no longer pay her bills. She still thought they were my problem to solve.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 10, 2016 10:48 pm  #13

Thank you all for your help.
I will continue to post updates. Right now we are trying to work on making it work. I asked her to find a marriage counseller with experience in these matters. I told her there is much we need to talk about and that I wanted to talk to a counselor together.
I noticed that she is talking to her girlfriends sister via messanger and it appears that this sister is in fact in the know. the things that she is saying makes me think she is aware of the entire situation. This would be another lie since my wife told me that no one else knows.
I saw her asking the sister if "she" went to talk to someone yet.  She is checking in about her girlfriend via the sister.
I feel like I have to continue to play detective.

December 11, 2016 7:38 pm  #14

oh boy what a wrinkle the crowdfunded house is.  

I just want to say don't feel socially obliged to play happy families because of it.  Life is messy, it's the same for all of us.  You are not at fault.

good luck and watch out for lesbian counsellors.  all the best.

December 12, 2016 7:41 am  #15

Get a lawyer asap.

My ex thought everything was hers
.that if she was abusive enough I would leave.

Just saying... she may ask you tomorrow when your moving out. She is not texting her friends about repairing the marriage.

Last edited by Rob (December 12, 2016 7:43 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 12, 2016 7:54 pm  #16

lily wrote:

oh boy what a wrinkle the crowdfunded house is.  

I just want to say don't feel socially obliged to play happy families because of it.  Life is messy, it's the same for all of us.  You are not at fault.

good luck and watch out for lesbian counsellors.  all the best.

What do you mean "watch our for lesbian counselors"? do you mean counselors that are lesbian or ones that say they specialize in this area?

December 13, 2016 3:57 pm  #17

first of all I would like to point out the obvious.  It's an awful lot easier to hide being gay for a woman than a man.  Speaking logically, wouldn't you expect there to be roughly equal numbers of gay women as men?

My counsellor turned out to be a lesbian not that she admitted this to me, it just came out later.  And tho she stuck to the rules and did a decent job of counselling her attitude was a bit emotionally unsupportive at times when I really could have done with better -  she was in effect on the opposite side of the fence, a gay closet spouse who ended up in a divorce and not as much money as she wanted (tho I think she had a big appetite for money, expensive house and car).

But this was happenstance and she was genuinely helpful in her own way.  You on the other hand have asked your gay partner to select a counsellor.  I expect she will get advice from her friends and the type of counsellor you get will be the sort that specializes in the area and you in effect will be learning the best ways to look after a lesbian wife for as long as she wants you and there will be nobody nobody in the room who is caring about your needs.  You will not get a fair shake.  You will offer your all and get ground into the dirt for it.

well, you did ask!  good luck, loyal man.  look after yourself.

December 14, 2016 8:21 am  #18

Thanks Lily.
Thanks for the honesty.  I appreciate it.
I actually found the therapist for her and sent her the suggestion.  She made an appointment for next week.  She went one time with my therapist and they didn't really connect.  I know she researched a lot of people and decided on the one I suggested. She will be going alone.  I asked her to be very upfront and tell the therapist what our goals are... To remain married and put 100% effort into rebuilding our marriage. So that she could help us work toward those goals. The last thing I want is for this therapist who doesn't know us to say something to the effect of "just do what makes you happy...explore these feelings...you can not make your marriage work...etc.  I want her to help us not sabotage us.
 I am trying to prepare myself for the best case scenario and the worst case one. I am talking to a lawyer just to be prepared if things go south. I really believe that we can get through this.  I am the kind of person who is very committed to making this work.  I still love her.  She has made it very clear that she still loves me as much today as she did the day we were married.  I believe her.  I know that a lot of people on here have been really screwed over by their spouses.  I want you all to know that my goal is to be the story of success.  I want to be the person that others will look to for an example of how a couple remained in love and worked it out.  That is my goal.  I am not trying to sound naïve and I understand that it appears that way.  I appreciate the advice that I am getting from all of you.  You are the ones who keep me in check and remind me how to "look after myself".  I take your advice very seriously. One day a husband will join this group and have hopes of saving his marriage and look for an example in which a couple did that.  My story will be that example.  Please pray for me and continue to give me your honest and open opinions and feedback.  you are helping me stay sharp and prepared for the worst case scenario.  I don't know what my odds are, but I am going to save my marriage. I believe that to be true.

December 14, 2016 11:09 am  #19

look, I can only say what I think.  It's not up to you.  Your wife is the one in control.  

You have found out your wife is having an affair with another woman.  She is in love with her but thinks it won't last and she doesn't want to lose her marriage over it.  But you found her out.

For heaven's sake don't fight for the marriage, make her fight to keep you not the other way round.  

This is not about the marriage right now, it's about you.  I can tell you are strong, you don't need to panic and you don't need to hide.  Let her do the running for a while. 

I hope you are reaching out to family and friends who you know care about you.  wishing you all the best, Lily.

Last edited by lily (December 14, 2016 11:13 am)

December 15, 2016 9:36 am  #20

Thank you lily.  I will admit that I do feel that I am doing most of the work right now.  I guess if it were me caught having an affair and I was lucky enough to be given a second chance. I would be bending over backwards to prove me love and dedication again. It frustrates me that so far I have only been given words.  She says that this is what she wants. Given the careless way she broke our wedding vows, I am not sure if words alone will do it for me.  I need to start seeing some real action. I can tell real love when I see it in a woman's eyes.  I can look deep into those eyes and feel the connection. Right now there is only a spark between us. And I need that spark to become a flame again.  I need her to move past the woman she was having an affair with and turn that love back into our marriage. I know that it may be a long shot. I am going to take it though.  I will keep you updated.

Board footera