OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2016 5:19 pm  #11

Re: I did it

Hi Daryl
​We are common law.  I agree it would be awkward and weird for this to be a long term solution.  I clearly don't have a clue what a healthy relationship looks like so I am not about to get tangled up in one.  I think a casual hookup is probably the way to go for me right now.  Right now I am the only one with an income.  We could split our savings and he could move out and live off of that for awhile but that makes no sense since we have a 3000 sqft home we can coexist for awhile here.  Some kind of written agreement is not a bad idea.
​Lily, what a good memory.  Yes that was me.  Is it a huge surprise I feel that way?  I don't think you need to be Freud to figure out that I don't believe in marriage and true love because I am not familiar with it.  I'm sure if I ever met the right person my cynical views would change.
Vicky 

November 27, 2016 6:21 pm  #12

Re: I did it

Hi Vicky, no not at all a surprise, I figured you must have seen nothing but bad relationships and I must admit good relationships are quite rare as far as I can see so I like your attitude - even when you do meet the right person there are no guarantees.

It sounds to me like you've made a lot of ground and got the most important bits covered but just to add to your plate, I think you need to get the financial separation agreed and signed off on sooner rather than later.  It is the hardest part, the bit we tend to be the most scared and reluctant about for good reason.  Not having the marriage licence is unlikely to save you, I had to pay more because of the length of my marriage.  If you have been together for less than 10 years it might make a lot of difference as to your liability.

all the best, Lily

Board footera