OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 26, 2016 1:52 am  #1

New here and looking for understanding, support...???

Hello!  First of all, I've read some of the threads and comments here and I just want to thank you all for being so brave  and willing to talk about all this.  It's already been so helpful to see some of my story in other people. 

My husband (STBX) is coming out as gay.  We've been married for 17 years and have 5 amazing kids.  We are in this terrible limbo-land.  The three older kids (ages 15, 14 and 14) know that dad is gay and that we'll be separating soon.  They also know he's seeing someone. Like me, they are ok with him being gay. I think it's important to know that he told one of these three, and she told the others.  He also told me.  The younger two kids know none of this.  He thinks he's protecting the younger ones by not telling them. 

I really could use some guidance in what happens next. Looking ahead, I can see us still being friends, but I need some space to deal with the shock, and also to piece myself back together.   He doesn't want to move out until June. I would like him to get his own place now.  We both agree that divorce is where we're headed.

I keep trying to write this story down.  It just isn't working.  I found out about all this about 3 weeks ago.  Last week he told me he's been seeing this guy since August.  Him coming out as gay and his infidelity are two very different things to deal with.  So much more to say.   I just can't put the thoughts together tonight.  He isn't even here.  I'm assuming he's with his new love.  

Tam i am.

November 26, 2016 8:36 am  #2

Re: New here and looking for understanding, support...???

Hi Tam and welcome,
So sorry you have to be here, but hopefully you'll find this a safe place where you'll get lots of great advice. Nothing can prepare you for this shock, and it's a roller coaster of emotions. First of all, if he was seeing another woman, would you be ok with him continuing this, and still living with you until June? I doubt it. He's a million miles ahead of you on this journey, and you are just now playing catchup. Please stop sleeping with him right now. Talk to a lawyer to find out your options. Don't worry right now about whether you can be friends later, you need to protect yourself and your kids. Trust us, he isn't going to put you first, we've been there, and have watched them turn into unrecognizable beings. Set limits now. Good luck, keep posting. We care.

November 26, 2016 9:22 am  #3

Tam, 

I'm so sorry!  I know exactly how you feel.  My wife is leaving me for a married woman.  We were married 16 years and have two sons.  The devastation of having your spouse reveal that they have lied to you for a long time about themselves is awful.  But what's even worse is finding out that the person who vowed to give themselves only to you for life has given themselves fully to another person is a knife in the back.  It's so awful, so selfish, so unfair. 

My first couple months were hell on earth.  I'm still there, but starting to see the light in the future.  Please take care of yourself.  Gather a support network to help you through it.  He doesn't deserve to have his secret kept at your own expense.  Think about seeing a councilor or Dr. if you are struggling with depression, anxiety, lack of sleep, etc.. 

If you both agree that you are headed toward divorce you need to think about how to do that.  Do some reading online about your state's laws for divorce with minor children.  Consider whether or not you can trust him when it comes to money issues.  You can usually get a free hour of consultation with an attorney.  You can do that with a few different ones and ask a ton of questions.  

I don't want to turn you against him, but keep in mind that he has violated your trust completely and shown only selfishness.  If you don't think you can trust him, hire an attorney to protect your best interest. 

My wife and I were a little unique I guess.  We have stayed "just" civil enough to get through the process without lawyers.  We attended mediation, but had already worked out nearly every detail necessary ahead of time.  If you can do this you can save yourselves thousands of dollars and have a better chance of staying friendly through the divorce.  This is best for the kids of course. 

If you have allowed him to keep control over the finances, do something about that right now.  Make sure you have awareness and access to all accounts and assets. 

Count on us here to help you any way we can.  Please continue to share your thoughts and feelings and ask lots of questions.  None of us are professionals, but we can share our own experiences and support and you can take away what you feel is helpful. 

On the living arrangements issue.  I don't think you can legally make him move out unless there has been abuse because he is most likely on the title if you own the house or on the lease if you rent it.  If he does move out, the state will consider it to be abandonment and he will have little to no chance of custody, so he is not likely to move away voluntarily.  See if you can push him to move out.  Set some ground-rules and find some leverage.  

All my best..  so sorry you are here!

Last edited by lostdad (November 26, 2016 9:22 am)

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

November 26, 2016 7:56 pm  #4

Tam,

I concur with what the others said.    He's lightyears ahead of you in getting over you..   Your in shock...its like getting hit by a bus and the person you turn to for support is the bus.   

Start taking small baby steps to gather strength.  Build your support system of lawyer, therapist, doctor, priest.    There is no shame in asking for help..you/we were betrayed and essentially abused.
I spent over a year in the same house as my raging,  cruel ex.     My support system, God,  this forum is what got me through it.   Your kids need a sane, grown up parent capable of fierce love for them.   Your lying untrustworthy spouse no matter what he says or does is not it for them.    

Walk forward doing what is right for yourself and the kids.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 26, 2016 10:47 pm  #5

Wow, everyone.  Thanks so much for the encouragement.  This is amazingly and crushingly hard.  I really appreciate being able to just talk freely about what's going on.  The kids are hanging in there.  The older 3 are already in therapy, and all 5  need a lot of extra time, energy, and TLC right now.   I work for a church so the kids and I have a lot of support there. My STBX is just bizarre right now.  It's like having another 13 year old in the house.  (Except he has a lot more power!)  We already have separate bank accounts, and we're slogging through finances in our talks.  These talks are the weirdest.  He is so upset, that he actually swoons.  Once he totally passed out.  (And yes, he's been to the doctor - all checked out.)  Good grief. 
I'm functioning at work, but it's minimal.  Meeting with my boss on Monday to discuss some possible leave time.  I'm thinking I may need it even more later.  My son was in the hospital for a week in October for being suicidal.  Got called into school last week for the twins failing their depression screening at school.  (No real surprise there, but started a third kid in therapy after finding out she had had a plan for suicide last May. )

Meanwhile, I'm starting to figure out where I fit in all this mess.  The me part.  

November 27, 2016 6:05 am  #6

jk,
  Can I just say how admirable you are?  I read your post, about how you were able not to take your son's lashing out at you personally, and I thought, yes, here's a mature adult who understands what parenting is.  What you said made me realize to what extent we straight spouses must serve as shock absorbers, and how difficult and painful this is.  Of course there are two senses in which we are shock absorbers, one of our own choice and one not. With our children, we act in their interest, and that means taking the blows they lay on us in their immature and incomplete understanding.  When it comes to our spouses, however, who used us as shock absorbers to keep themselves from having to take the pressure themselves (not coming out or even admitting their sexual orientation to themselves), we were not offered the chance to decide for ourselves if this was a role we would play based on our own understanding and values.  Even if our spouses never acted on their impulses and cheated on us, I think that our sense of betrayal comes from our realization that we were used in this way.
  And Rob, I love "lawyer, therapist, doctor, priest."  It's like the straight spouse rewrite of that old nursery rhyme "rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief/doctor, lawyer, Indian chief." 

November 27, 2016 6:20 am  #7

I guess after posting my last I realized I wasn't finished with my comment, because one thing that has driven me crazy in my situation (my "transgender" spouse wanting to feminize himself, ideally eventually through hormones) is that he doesn't seem to take our son into consideration. I've asked him point blank several times what his thinking about our son is--how and when will he tell him, what effect he thinks his decision could have on our son or their relationship and whether he weighs his own desire to feminize himself against these things.  He just avoids the question.  I'm sure the question makes him uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have to engage it.  Meanwhile, I"m thinking about it all the time, worrying, playing possible reactions and conversations in my head--and that is another way in which I'm acting as a shock absorber to my husband, who is living his closeted and duplicitous life.  What I'll tell my son when I divorce my husband I don't know--but I do know I won't decide based on keeping my husband's secret.

November 27, 2016 8:02 pm  #8

Hi Tamiam and welcome - 

We all have our own stories and one isn't any less painful than another.  We all have our own ways of dealing with grief.  That grief will show itself in a variety of ways depending on the day.  Some days sadness, some days anger, some days confusion.  And some days, all the above and more.  There is no right way to deal with what you're going through.  The "me" part you mention is very important in all this.  Know full well you're not the only one and we as a group are here to help you through.  Feel free to lean on us, we'll have our day when we need to lean as well.

"Just keep swimming..."

November 27, 2016 9:58 pm  #9

Tam, JK,

So so sorry... don't you just love the way  these spouses directly harmed the kids ...and they think they are morally right.   It boggles the mind.       My older one probably had the toughest time when me and the ex were in the same house in stark silence...yes I got the suicidal threats..    Still my ex at the time thought she was in the right.    Lately its the younger one who lashes out..  

All we can do is be stoic.   Be there for the kids..    It a rainstorm and all we can do is hand them an umbrella.     As we gather strength our kids can be the recipents..  our exs or STBXs ...they are not entiled to anything from us.

Last edited by Rob (November 27, 2016 9:58 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 29, 2016 12:05 am  #10

JK, Rob, lostdad, and all of you...
There is so much of my story in all of yours.   I'm so very grateful to have found this site.  Today was really tough, but I made it!  Started with a bizarre conversation of how "wronged" he is by me and by the kids.  He has been telling the kids it's all my fault.  I'm seeing this kind of behavior as a real pattern in these stories. Moved on to a meeting at work with my boss.  I knew this was going to be about all the work I've missed because of the kids.  I was so nervous, but he couldn't have been more kind.  

We'll get through this..
Tam. 

Tam.

Board footera