OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2024 8:59 am  #1

Seeking feedback

My wife of 8 years, came out a couple of years ago letting me know she was attracted to women. In the past year, she has embraced that she is a lesbian. I have been supportive of her journey. Admittedly, I have gone through the range of emotions: Anger, questioning my own masculinity, sadness...much of which I tried my best to hide from her. I don't want her to worry about me, I truly want her to be her best and happiest self. I have encouraged her to pursue her journey further, encouraging her to go on dates and even offering to be her wing-man to places, then leaving if and when she was comfortable. She has not had an emotionally intimate relationship with another woman as of yet, and has only been on a couple of dates with minimal physical contact. Though I don't know exactly how she feels or what she is going through, I still believe I know my wife. I (perhaps insecurely) sincerely believe she will leave when she finds the "right one." She denies this and says she wants to remain together, partially out of fear, of how supportive our current relationship is, the children, etc. She does admit, it is not out of the possibility, that she may leave if she does find a strong match. She has expressed the possibility of a polyamorus relationship, but outside of the possibility of an occasional threesome (only because I am a man...lol), I do not have any interest otherwise, and truly don't want her to feel she has to share or choose. 
Admittedly, I am struggling. I have spoken to a couple of close friends, but no one knows just how much I am struggling. I am not one to trust others easy, and feel like how things in my life are playing out are somewhat deserved, whether actual or not. I feel my wife truly loves me, but is not in love with me. She denies this, but I am left wondering. To do what I can and to not stress her while she is figuring things out, I have started reading material regarding MWLW (Married Women who Love Women). While it is informative and gives me more appreciation for my wife, it also forces me to think and acknowledge certain things. 
I am struggling also, because I feel I have never been in a relationship where the other person was totally about me as I was them. No, I don't mean for a woman to have their life revolve around me, if anything that is the last thing I want. I want someone who has their own professional and personal life, but comes home to me, and vice versa. Someone who I get to share individual and shared experiences with where we are only in love with each other. I in my heart want to leave, but without sharing my true feelings and talking with her first, I won't. I really want her to be happy so I figure I am willing to wait, even if I am miserable. She has given me a wonderful daughter, and no matter what happens, I would not leave my wife in the lurch, or cut off contact. I do not want her to blame herself for how I am feeling, because she should try to own that either. But I am really unsure what my next steps are. Any feedback is welcome. 

February 23, 2024 11:07 am  #2

Re: Seeking feedback

As long as there is physical intimacy.... with somebody who has admitted to being a lesbian...her fear of leaving what you have together will keep her holding on to the person she knows will be there for her.

Open r'ships are a shit way to live. But if that's the only way to keep the stability she has with you...while starting intimate r'ships with women... she'll probably have few qualms about hurting you. Because you're still wanting to hold on to her. It's what non-straight people do to straightspouses while they figure out their lives.

You need to find a trustworthy friend, family member, counsellor to talk to. This Forum has all the advice and experience but you can't beat good face to face conversation (edited to say) with someone who cares about what you are going through, not your wife.

Elle

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (February 23, 2024 11:10 am)

KIA KAHA                       

February 23, 2024 9:02 pm  #3

For what it's worth. I was you.

I threw everything I had into my marriage and being supportive of my former spouse. For over 3 years. In the end, I lost myself and he still blind sided me with a divorce.

And now I have legal documentation from him stating that I never supported him, that I was so homophobic that he experienced extreme mental distress and all the ways I ruined his life. There's also a number of personal attacks and lies.

I loved him deeply and I always just wanted him to be happy. I can see now just how one-sided that was and apparently he will only be happy if he destroys my life and everything in it.

Proceed with caution. And I strongly suggest you follow Elle's advice - you need to be able to talk to someone who if interested in your well-being because it is a long road, regardless of how it ends.

February 24, 2024 3:58 pm  #4

Hi Darrj,

The thing my mother was finally able to pinpoint about my ex is that he would neither accept me nor let me go.

That's what straights do, isn't it.  Apparently it is not what married gay and lesbian partners do.  There are a few different story lines but this is the basic one - the straight is trying to get a straight answer from their spouse - while they seem to think it is okay to keep us dangling.

Is this someone who truly loves you?  

Following the basic story line this will turn out to be cupboard love - like the rest of us you will discover in time that your partner is entirely selfish in her love of you - when you stop being amenable to her wishes is when you get to know her.

Glad to hear you are interested in finding a woman who can love you back like you love her.  I am much too old but sometimes people d get really lucky on the second time around.

February 25, 2024 1:42 am  #5

lily wrote:

Hi Darrj,

The thing my mother was finally able to pinpoint about my ex is that he would neither accept me nor let me go.

That's what straights do, isn't it.  Apparently it is not what married gay and lesbian partners do.  There are a few different story lines but this is the basic one - the straight is trying to get a straight answer from their spouse - while they seem to think it is okay to keep us dangling.

Lily - thank you for this. This about sums it up and is the part I just don't understand in all of this. It's not even that my ex figured out he's gay...it was the fact that he led me on for years. It's utter cruelty.  And now, in the divorce process....while I have struggled to even come up with enough negative emotions to hate him (he made sure that he was so horrible that this wasn't an issue in the end *eye roll*) he has had no problem personally insulting me, degrading everything in the marriage, entirely re-writing history, and vilifying me in any way possible.

I have been trying to take away something positive from spending 20 years with this a-hole....but he sure is burning every bridge out there and making sure my life is a living hell....Why can't he just leave and leave me alone....

February 25, 2024 2:06 pm  #6

Hi Anon, yes me too, I am still struggling to get my head round it too - don't think I ever will.  It is years past divorce, it is years since he has had any contact with me and still he attacks me.  I joined a bridge club when I left and there is this woman there he has met through work.  She gave me a volume of lesbian poetry and commissioned a sculpture before I twigged to what was going on - he's told her I'm a lesbian among other iies, the hide of him.  I disabused her of that notion very clearly, but he is such a convincing liar, that is years ago now and she is still looking quizzically at me sometimes - I figure that means she has been talking to him.

I sometimes think we straights that get stuck in closets can become unable to make the critical thinking needed because we are overwhelmed by an anxiety that has been subconsciously building.  At first I thought it was over the pain I was in which had also been subconsciously building.  Now I give myself more credit, for a start I looked after myself really well once I had started thinking of myself as an individual again - not with a partner, and I can also see it was entirely appropriate to my situation at the time - a subconscious recognition of the underlying reality of the person I was right next to and being so trusting of.  What he might do.  How he was actually feeling towards me, but keeping hidden.

Time waves its magic wand - enough water under the bridge and a level of distraction takes place I think.  anyway it is all okay for me now and I don't think about him other than in the past from one month to the next.

Last edited by lily (February 25, 2024 2:21 pm)

February 25, 2024 9:35 pm  #7

Hi Darrj - Have you gotten your therapist to work through your feelings, desires, and wants? Your story is like many others in the forum - we are the considerate ones of everyone except ourselves! We abandon our our needs. Did you sign up to be married to someone who wanted to date other women? I, too, was in the bargaining phase of grief for almost 2 years.  It took time to finally decide what was best for me and my children. I had to be the one to set the expectations and boundaries of parenting our children in the best way possible. What are you teaching your daughter about what love looks like? Love is not dishonorable. Love does not justify wrongs to enable selfishness. Love requires truth (even your own truth). Love leads to honor, kindness, and compassion.  This is from my new book on Boundaries and Goodbyes🥰. Love does not include sacrificing and ignoring your own happiness. This is not self-love! We deserve good love, too.

I joined this group almost 3 years ago. I will officially file for divorce on Friday! My GID Ex and are co-parenting well together. We both are committed to raising our children in the best environment possible. This does not mean I have to stay married to him. I encourage you to get your own therapist and support system. I had a betrayal therapist and he was very influential in my progress! It was tough work but I look forward to my future. I have also found a great guy who loves me and only me!

Last edited by gwendolyn_C (February 25, 2024 9:35 pm)

March 19, 2024 5:35 am  #8

Hi all - me too, more like 7 years since the first overt signs that he was leading a double life and will be filing for a relatively amicable divorce this month. I finally decided he’s just nuts and will never tell the truth. Not to me anyway. Ok. Moving on.
One layer that is coming off now is the protection I had to assume against what must have been another insane aspect of this whole mess - I think he really resented me but he’s the one who locked me in here! How crazy is that? He wanted - still desperately wants - the cover story and someone to do the “wife” caretaking jobs but simultaneously resents being stuck in a heterosexual marriage and sees the structure he put in place as something to rebel against, push back on. Holy smokes - so glad to be getting out of that trap.
There are so many deep psychological problems in these f’d up relationships. And - they are the fault of the person who is lying. Full stop. Fraudulent conveyance. Mine has to externalize everything - all someone else’s fault. But nope. It’s not my job to wade through his lies and operate on the other side of the looking glass. It is my job to get out, now that I know, and that will be this month. Thank God.

March 19, 2024 6:22 am  #9

RoseColoredGlasses - Good for you girl! I too had the epiphany that it is not my job to figure him out, but to simply get OUT! I'm glad your divorce is relatively amicable. 

March 19, 2024 7:10 am  #10

Relatively! Fingers crossed, and good luck to you, too. This was a tough hand, with all the lies. ❤️

Board footera