OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2023 8:29 pm  #1

Transphobic Question

So, this is something I have wanted to ask about but I'm actually afraid to on any forum because I'm legit afraid of being attacked. The heart of the matter is portrayed in the media.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-amy-hamm-disciplinary-hearing-1.7005480

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/michael-higgins-witch-trial-of-j-k-rowling-fan-shows-what-women-have-lost

A BC Nurse is on trial and at risk of losing her license because she stated that she believes there are two sex's - male and female. She was discussing the concerns that have been raised about transwomen gaining access to vulnerable women, such as prisons, shelters etc and that you cannot change your sex. You are not literally a woman, you remain a trans woman. She did this on social media.

Someone made an anonymous complaint to the nursing board. The crime alleged is this: between July 2018 and March 2021, she made “discriminatory and derogatory statements regarding transgender people” while identifying herself as a nurse or nurse educator.”

She has had 21 hearings over a span of 14 months so far (longer than a lot of murder trials). The nursing board freely admits that this has nothing to do with her care of patients, harming a patient, treating any patient differently or doing anything wrong in a professional capacity. 

My question in all of this....why is this considered transphobic?

I have always seen transphobic and homophobic and whatever slur out there with regards to all this as being applicable if you are discriminating, hateful, or trying to harm said group. Why is just not agreeing suddenly phobic?

And why can't there be discussion on this topic? There are numerous incidents of transwomen "faking" and molesting or raping women in vulnerable situations (ie: a women's shelter). I feel like this is a legitimate concern - and shouldn't trans people be concerned about this?

But if you disagree with anything everyone just screams transphobe at you. 

I remember being called homophobic when my husband pranced out of the closet (after lying to me for 20 years). The devastation, pain, and mind fuck of that experience....and somehow I was the bad guy.  It boggles my mind.

I have wanted to ask this question on some posts and things out there because people are vitriolic about screaming transphobe and ruining people's careers and lives. And I just don't get it. But, honestly, I'm terrified to even try to have a discussion because now it seems you have to worry about death threats, doxing and who knows what else....

So, I'm curious what the forum members here think. Since we have a unique experience in all of this and have spent so much time being held prisoner in the closet created by our spouses. 

I am not phobic of anyone, but there are a number of behaviors out there that I do not agree with and will not support or condone. At work I do my job, I do it well, and I would never treat anyone differently...but on a personal level why can't I politely and respectfully disagree?

November 8, 2023 8:53 pm  #2

Re: Transphobic Question

You made me look up "vitriolic".
I think people that sling around the term "phobic" are just as intolerant as the people they are blaming. It's just another label.
I admit that I still have a hard time seeing gender confusion aligning with a healthy mind, but I tend to be a bit old-fashioned about a lot of things. I also believe that "most" men are physically larger and stronger than "most" women. That's what makes women so precious to brutish oafs like me. I guess it also makes me a chauvinist pig.
You are entitled to your opinions. My feeling is that transgenderism is more of a political issue than a medical issue so far. Give it time; the medical study will catch up to the raging politics. As long as we hold firm to the belief that all people are entitled to respect and dignity until they do something to prove otherwise, we are probably doing OK.

November 9, 2023 1:11 pm  #3

Re: Transphobic Question

Edited to say.....people get called transphobic when the person saying it would rather silence you than sit down and have a discussion about it.

The transgender community doesn't like the push-back it's getting from an ever-larger section of the community that realise the harm this ideology is doing and having on young people especially. As women, mothers and grandmothers we should be standing up to this invasive and insidious attempt to take over the word "woman" and appropriate it for themselves. 
I joined The Women's Rights Party here in New Zealand and voted for them in our last election a month ago. It's a small movement but an ever-growing one.
But I believe it's worse in the US....where every transperson thinks they can be who they are, and there is nothing wrong with that, but in the process they are trampling on the rights of me, my sister, my 2 daughters, my aunts and my mother (she'd be turning in her grave). 
New Zealand has a while to catch up to the lengths the US health system has gone to with gender-affirming and reassignment and I hope we can put a stick in the spokes of the wheels that are driving this. It's a big financial win for doctors, surgeons, hospitals etc.....it's a loss for the thousands of gender confused & depressed teens who get pulled in and convinced that the only way to fix it is to have their breasts removed or their genitals sliced off and ruin their lives.....forever.

Have you heard of Kellie-Jay Keen? 

Elle

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (November 9, 2023 1:16 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera