OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2023 3:13 pm  #1

First date after finding out.

I have decided to go full steam ahead with my life.  I figure I gave my husband 37 years and that is enough.  I was ready to start dating before I found out he was gay, so even though it has only been 7 months since he died and 1 1/2 months since I found out, I am going out on my first date since I was 16.  I am very nervous!  Bet you can guess the first question I would like to ask him, but I won't.  I asked the gentleman out for a walk in a beautiful park that, it turns out, he loves too.  We are meeting at 11 AM for the walk and if it goes well I might ask him to lunch.  If I do who pays for the lunch?  I know it sounds like a ridiculous question but I literally haven't done this in 40 years!  Do we go dutch?

November 3, 2023 3:35 pm  #2

Re: First date after finding out.

Step up and tell him you'll pay for your own lunch, even 
before he says anything.

That way it should not be awkward Edited to add....and have a wonderful time

E.

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (November 3, 2023 3:36 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

November 3, 2023 4:02 pm  #3

Re: First date after finding out.

Ellexoh nz, thank you for the advice!  I thank you for the encouragement!  Back when I was dating the man always paid but I like your advice!  I will do that..!  My counselor encouraged me to have fun with this and I think he is right!  My husband had a very set way of being "proper" but I have always been more "laid back" and want to have more in life, I hope this makes sense.  The last few days I have felt so much more free and it is wonderful!

Board footera