OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2023 8:38 pm  #1

Do most non-straight spouses come out typically as Bi?

I am in a middle of a separation with my wife of 16yrs being bisexual and has urges that can only be satisfied by another woman who she has made an emotional connection with during our typical relationship issue that has been many years in the making: lack of deep conversations, intimacy, deep connections due to life (ie. 2 kids, work, etc.).  Right now, she is thinking that the other woman can fix both issues while I cannot.  She is up front and has told me this scenario prior to them being physical.  The emotional connection however was cultured, grown, and expressed, which in my eyes constitute infidelity.

So to my question: do most non-straight spouses come out initially as Bi and eventually gay?  I know this is not a catch all inquiry but i'm just curious if my wife is really gay all these years of zero intimacy and sex, and just not being honest with herself.  She says she loves me and this will never happen with another man.  And that im the man for her except i can't fulfill what she needs.

Any advice or input on my situation is appreciated.  She came out with this about 2-3 weeks ago.  We still live together and have 2 beautiful children, who we told the truth to.  She is emotionally checked out and I am just learning to work on myself and not be so available to her.  But the other woman (who is also married to another woman) lingers around her and shows up in her gym and social events.  I HAVE NOT A CHANCE in this battle. 

Last edited by magellaniccloud (November 16, 2023 3:01 pm)

October 27, 2023 8:15 am  #2

Re: Do most non-straight spouses come out typically as Bi?

Hi Magellan, 

I agree with you that emotionally stepping out on you is still infidelity but tbh I do not believe she hasn't got physical with girlfriend as well.

I do think it's dishonest to hide sexual orientation from your spouse - to think she was hiding it from herself is highly unlikely to be true.

Yes very common these days for closeted gay spouse to admit to bisexuality - for some reason I fail to comprehend this is supposed to mean it was alright to pretend to be straight? 

So yes take a deep breath and absorb the idea that your wife has been pretending to you all along.  Wait for the other shoe to drop - what else is she capable of pretending about (probably everything).

When you say she is emotionally checked out I think you have to accept that leaves you as the only responsible adult in the room - start looking round for family and friends who can be a support and talk to them.

This is actually pretty bad.  It's painful.  It's heartbreaking and profoundly shocking all at the same time.  It gets easier in time.  Good to hear you are already taking steps not to be so available to her, I think that will help.

Last edited by lily (October 27, 2023 8:18 am)

October 27, 2023 10:39 am  #3

Sorry to see you here, Magellan, but welcome. 
I was in a similar situation over a year ago, 19 years married, 3 kids, busy lives etc. Sex was never an issue, but connecting emotionally was always an issue. So she dropped a bomb that she had been having an affair with a woman from the gym (who is married to a man). It was emotional, but that is FAR worse than physical, because it requires you to wake up daily and CHOSE to continue cheating and not tell your partner. I actually got over that part, but when I realized she had been lying about still connecting with the woman, my eyes were opened.....she could and had lied about so much. All the red flags were there the entire time, but I ignored them.
All that said, I eventually found her online profile. It did not state "looking for women, or bi, it stated looking for men". So while she goes everywhere with her girlfriend (who looks like a man), it appears she searches online for men. My conclusion is that she did not want any of the responsibility of breaking up the family/marriage, so she is saying she is gay. Is she? Probably not. Maybe bi-curious? End of the day, it does not matter to me. All that matters is the person that was closest to me could lie to my face daily and do it extremely well. Do I think she has been lying the whole time? Probably...doesnt matter. 
If you go back to August 8th 2022 and read my first post, it was like yours. "My marriage is amazing, solid, wonderful kids, etc". I am not saying yours is not, but making time for yourself and allowing you to see the past without interference can be a mind blowing experience. You might just find this has been a toxic relatonship for you the entire time. 

All of my health issues disappeared, no more xanax, etc within weeks of going LOW contact with her. She is now trying to get us talking again, I will not. She is a broken person and she showed me who she really was and I wont go back.
I hope you find the answers you seek and find a path that suits you. Keep your kids top of mind, you have to be healthy and strong for them. Stay the course, its hurts but on the other side is fulfillment and happiness!

Be well

October 27, 2023 11:08 am  #4

magellaniccloud wrote:

She says she loves me and this will never happen with another man.  And that im the man for her except i can't fulfill what she needs.   

Sounds like she is'nt bi, then.

magellaniccloud wrote:

She is emotionally checked out and I am just learning to work on myself and not be so available to her.   

Sounds wise. 

October 27, 2023 3:27 pm  #5

Thank you all for your feedback!  truly encouraging and life saving really.  My why in life is now gone.  I am here because of my two young kids and that is what i will focus on, aside from my own self development and healing.  

I pray for all of us who has been caught up in this.  Chin up, one day at a time, small improvements, stay consistent and find support.  They are out there, you just need to reach out.  I love you all, my brothers and sisters in heartaches.

October 31, 2023 3:55 pm  #6

My ex-wife tried to come out as "bi" at first.  Then, she married the woman with whom she had an affair during our marriage.  I think she came out as "bi" at first because she could no longer claim to be straight given the undeniable proof she wasn't, and because she still wanted some cover of the closet.  She wanted to save face, and got pissed when I tried to "label" her because that was inconvenient to her.

Honestly, it didn't even matter.  She wasn't straight, and I didn't sign up for that.  She wasn't monogamous, and I didn't sign up for that, either.  And she was incredibly dishonest and cruel to me and our kids, and none of us signed up for that crap.

November 1, 2023 11:31 am  #7

My Future Ex-husband (legally separated) says he's bisexual. He spends ALL of his free time at a gay couple's home. He takes trips with all gay men. They are always getting together to celebrate holidays and birthdays. He has a deeper connection with one of the men (Bill). My GID Ex  'says' it's not physical with Bill but it's more of an emotional connection which I don't believe is true. At this point, it doesn't matter!  It's all unacceptable IF you are married and took vows to love and cherish your spouse! 

November 7, 2023 11:39 am  #8

Blue Bear wrote:

Honestly, it didn't even matter.  She wasn't straight, and I didn't sign up for that.  She wasn't monogamous, and I didn't sign up for that, either.  And she was incredibly dishonest and cruel to me and our kids, and none of us signed up for that crap.

We're in the same boat and this is the question I'm trying to figure out as well. The difference is that my wife is great with the kids and brought it up to me before exploring relationships (at least as far as I know). I am feeling about a 70% trust level right now, but from what I read here, sometimes it's a spectrum of disclosure. I live in fear of what comes next as she researches her curiosity. However, if she is bi, what do I do with that? I didn't sign up for that either. Logic tells me that it doesn't matter who or what she is attracted to if she doesn't act on it and is committed to me, but who am I to place that limitation on her? 

November 7, 2023 3:14 pm  #9

Magellan: I think it depends on the person.  When I confronted my husband, I was expecting him to come up with a story about not realizing he was gay until after we were married.  It's not that I would have believed him, but I figured he was just in denial.  Instead, it was even worse, he said to me "I have always known that I was bisexual."  I mean, the man had NO attraction to women.  I went for over two decades without sex from him, the issue was NOT bisexuality.  I can only guess that at some point he convinced himself that as long as he was capable of occasionally gritting his teeth and fucking a woman, that was good enough to call himself bi.  

It's not just that he lied to me -- really he lied to himself and then told the same lies to me.

November 16, 2023 2:59 pm  #10

I absolutely agree.  In hind sight, it really doesn't matter.  I am fed up with the abuse of being understanding to her while she goes off in dinners and shows with the woman she connected with while i work long hours and take care of the kids and the dogs.  I am done condoning her selfish actions to "discover" and "heal" herself of her unhappiness.

Board footera