OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2023 8:51 pm  #1

Trying to understand the confusion

Edited

Last edited by Canary2 (December 5, 2023 4:30 pm)

September 17, 2023 10:07 pm  #2

Re: Trying to understand the confusion

"" I try to put myself in their shoes to try to understand and have empathy...."

Yeah I tried the empathy path too. All it got me was more entitlement on his part.
And engaging an lgbtq counsellor showed me they'll always be on the side that's not the straightspouses.

You could spend your whole life trying to understand. And still get nowhere 😊

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

September 17, 2023 10:45 pm  #3

I tried to understand it myself, for a very long time. But none of it made sense.

He claims to have figured it out 2 weeks prior to announcing he was gay and divorcing me. I have a hard time believing he just had some gay epiphany after 20 years of marriage to a woman. And, unlike many others on the page, we slept together regularly and up until his prancing out of the closet. 

Then he tells me that he has zero attraction for me, and hasn't had any for "awhile"....so....how does this work exactly? I mean, he's a guy, and it worked....so, I honestly don't get it. I would think it would potentially be easier for a woman to fake it?

I'm with you, I never questioned anything. I had my own type I was attracted to (ironically similar to yours) and it hasn't changed over time. I have never had any desire to sleep with a woman, or any visceral attraction. I just don't get it.

Strangely enough, he told me a year after we separated that he still didn't know what he wanted in life. Ok then....

September 18, 2023 1:09 pm  #4

I've had years to analyze this and   it's hard because they are not like us. At the end of the end I stand by my analysis..I think it's a question of morality and they all have a "broken moral core". 

I think my GX knew at a young age and I think at least one friend we had at college picked up on it.  But nobody told me. My GX decided she was entitled to have a heterosexual relationship and marry me..she pursued me..even though deep in her core she knew she really had same sex attraction.   She figured she could stuff it down and that was fair to me..or rather she was entitled to keep it from me.. 
It explains much of her behavior...its a narcisstic entitlement.   A sick insanity that marrying a straight person would solve the attraction or keep it hidden and that she cleverly solved her issue..until she met another gay woman and decided it was stronger and worth more than a lifetime with me.

Maybe they didn't plan to hurt us but the fact that they thought they could keep it stuffed down and not tell us...to me it reeks of arrogance and entitlement..vows before God and family were not really true.

No, I consider it a morality thing.  We were 100% truthful in who we were.  We vowed before God and family and meant every word and thing we did 1000%. We did not hold back even 1% of who we were.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 18, 2023 5:12 pm  #5

I think maybe it's such a mass of confusion because of all the lies.

I agree with you - I have been stable all my life and my sense of things says I will never ever should I live to be 303 wake up gay one morning, any more than I could wake up with two noses.

I was once in a position where I had a houseful of young gay women as guests for a weekend.  I realised they assumed I was gay too when I got chatting with one of them and she described her feelings about dating men - she loved it, nothing better than the thrill of hooking the best man in the room.  But her love life was with her girlfriends.

Diff, a gay man who occasionally posts here says that being gay means wanting to cuddle-wuddle rip his clothes off is the feeling he has with men.  

So there's the broken moral core - if there's one thing I know it's that affection is a requirement it's just necessary - can you imagine any baby thriving without getting affection?  It's a requirement, like Diff says, the cuddle-wuddle needs to be there when it comes to ripping clothes off.  

And that basic requirement of affection was denied me - I just wasn't the one he wanted to rip the clothes off, I can't give him the thing that inspires that marital affection.  He was the architect of the situation but the way he felt was I was getting in the way, between him and the man of his dreams.

Once I knew he was gay in denial I looked back through my memory and realised that the only times he had hugged me was in front of other people.  This was pointed out to me by two men now, who knew me when we were younger - he had been very handy with the possessive hug in public.  Keep the other men away but when we are home he would reject my affection as well as refuse to hug me.

Anyway so all of this to say I believe it is black and white for us all - the confusion is caused by the lies.

Not to say that it mustn't be confusing growing up gay in a family where the gay parent is pretending to be straight, and is literally stuffing their gay feelings out of sight, the child's along with them.   

I can see why everyone applauds the ones coming out of the closet.  It must take courage.  But I think it is naive not to recognise the emotional toxicity involved in the courting of a straight partner - the selfish attitude he had towards me, the person he professed to love - and it came with a super serve of lies.

Last edited by lily (September 18, 2023 5:16 pm)

September 18, 2023 5:13 pm  #6

Agree with Rob. At least in my case. Mine said "she swore" she just starting figuring this out. I think she knew all along, chose specifically to NOT deal with her own feelings and as a result, broke the home of 3 daughters and confused the hell out of them. Not her being gay, but suddenly being gay after 42 years of being straight. (or the duration of their life). I have no problem with any gay folks. To me, its simple, a cheater is a cheater, and one that would lie and gaslight me like she did, is not a good person. Nothing to do with orientation and everything to do with their moral code. 

September 18, 2023 10:13 pm  #7

Canary2 - I would love to chat. I was recently diagnosed with autism, and a lot more of my life makes sense now. I have found it has made this entire process so much worse. It would be nice to chat with someone in a similar situation.

September 20, 2023 11:24 am  #8

Canary2 - I sent you a reply to your PM. Holy do we have a lot in common!

100% having autism has made this entire process way worse. I truly wish I could just shut my brain off. People tell me to move on....and I'm like how??? I see a number of posts about how people moved on, started dating again, were happy.....and here I am, over-obsessing about the lies and what doesn't make sense and trying to give meaning to things.

He also hated how direct I was. I was an open book. I said what I meant, and I said it when it occurred. My method of resolution was to talk things out, so I could understand the other person's side, and come to an agreement on how to proceed. Drove him insane. He would yell at me when I would get fixated on a topic, because I couldn't just "let it go".

Him just abandoning me, and giving me tiny pieces of lies and half truths has been torture. Because I don't know what to believe anymore. And since talking it out is my method of understanding and coping with change....the fact that he just refuses to acknowledge me has been incredibly difficult. Honestly, he couldn't have chosen a worse thing to do to me.

I went into quite the tail spin.....and that is actually when I got the autism diagnosis. 6 months after he left. It was like the straw that broke the camels back. I just could not function and everything fell apart. I have not told him about the diagnosis. Looking over the marriage though, so much more of myself makes so much more sense. And, I can see how I was an easy target for him.

Sometimes I want to tell him, just so I can say see it wasn't just me, I actually have a diagnosis, I'm not crazy. And yet, I know it probably wouldn't help anything. So why bother I guess.

I do wish he would be a bit better in this divorce process. I have gotten a bit better at handling the necessary communication, but he still goes out of his way to be cruel and try to manipulate me. And it just stresses me out. But I can't afford to pay a lawyer to do everything, so the lawyer gives me a list of things to contact him about and go through to gather the info, and then I pass it along. That way I'm not paying him an insane amount for leg work. I'd prefer no contact, but apparently I have to win the lottery to achieve that!

Board footera