OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2023 4:09 pm  #1

How to Healthily Move On

Legit concern, because I am struggling.

How does one not become a bitter shrew?

I am doing my best. But he legit destroyed my life from the practical side  (financially, socially, health wise, job wise, he covered all the bases).....let alone the trauma he has caused mentally and emotionally....

Meanwhile his life has significantly improved. He's travelling (and gone on several of "our" dream trips we had planned on). He's eating at extravagant places, going out every week, dating, living in a penthouse.

Practically speaking, I am working to accept that this is life now and life is unfair. But it is incredibly hard some times to just accept that he really does get it all. Sometimes I wish I had his view on life - as he still blames everything on me, and thinks incredibly highly of himself.....the shit really doesn't stick to him.

They really are something else eh?

I know to my core I would never treat another human being like they do. And that he is actually a horrible human being. He is vile, and I pity his next victim. But, why is it that these people get so far ahead in life? And I get to deal with the trauma, destruction, and abuse he heaped on me.....and I have not just bounced back with the sunny outlook he has on life. Unfortunately, life has just been very unfair on my end. 

Irony of it all is that I don't have the option to just not accept how things turned out. Because if I wallow in the fact that he really did get everything he wanted, and I got shit on....I'm the one that gets seen as the bitter ex-wife, and the one that can't move on. 

So, does anyone have any tips and tricks for letting go of the anger at the unfairness of it all? 

I don't believe in karma, or that he will somehow get what he deserves someday. Honestly, everything has worked out amazing on his end.....so I am just working on how I come to peace with the fact that he did get everything, and is literally living my dream life without me. That life is no longer in the cards for me, and a more difficult path is ahead I guess. And sometimes I get tired of just having to suck it up yah know.

So far I have get one of those torso punching bag things and just whack a lot of stuff!

September 2, 2023 6:06 pm  #2

Re: How to Healthily Move On

Hey Anon!
I’d like to ask you this:
Do you want to “win”or do you want to be happy?
Why does it matter how he is doing and living?
It is over between you two. You could also see that as a blessing and as a new beginning, new chance to start your life over, with the wisdom you gathered in the past 20 years.
My most honest and important advice is- as soon as you notice you are thinking about him and how he is living his life- STOP and start thinking about yourself, your wishes and needs. Life could pleasantly surprise you.

September 2, 2023 6:54 pm  #3

Hey Anon - I understand completely. My ex wife is not a good person for me and I dont believe she is good in general. That said, who cares? People tell me that while she is putting on a front that she is happy, they say they think she is miserable. You know what I think? I am indifferent. I reached a point where if her being happy or sad, it made no difference to me. 

How did I do that? I focused entirely on myself and my kids. I am 43, but just over a year ago, when this started for me officially, I began working out daily, eating better, meditating, got back into therapy. Now, a year later? I look ridiculously good, cut up (for a desk jockey), met a woman I went to high school with and started dating 6 months ago and am building a healthy relationship, strengthening my relationships with my kids and have never been happier. 

This isnt to say I havent been hosed. I have. I worked my way out of near poverty, worked while she earned a phd and supporter her opening up her own practice. Despite this, I will be losing half of everything I have earned in 24 years. All the things I wanted to do will have to wait, not because I did anything wrong, but because my ex is a lying sack of shit who never keeps her word and thinks its my job to care for her and her new girlfriend (not even the affair girlfriend, but another one) and her kid. I could focus on that, but I do not. 

Live your life. The more you focus on you and what makes you happy, the happier you will be despite all of the bullshit. Not easy, but I promise you it can be done. You are stronger than you realize. 

Be well, keep moving forward

September 2, 2023 7:40 pm  #4

Honestly, it has nothing to do with winning. 

I am dealing with a significant medical issue, that has forever altered the course of my life. I spent 20 years of my life supporting this man, caring for him, helping him achieve everything in his life. I put in the blood, sweat and tears. I loved him more than words can express. 

Then I got sick. So, when I needed someone in my corner, and needed help, love and support, he decided to build an entire double life and dump me. He left me bleeding on the floor after surgery at one point.

He left knowing I was in terrible health, unable to work to support myself, had no benefits....in a half renovated house with 5 pets. His parting gift was to tell me how unattractive I was, how he had been using me for awhile now, never loved me, and wanted to find out what true love was. So yes, I am human and it's hard to not be bitter about the fact that he's out travelling the world and I had to crawl to the door to let the dogs out (which he wanted in the marriage, but didn't make the cut either apparently) because I was too sick to stand.

I mean, it is what it is. And I continue to work on not caring about him. I had another surgery this week and lost some vision, and the lawyer gave me a list of his latest trip expenses. I don't have to think about how he is living his life, I have ample receipts. I would rather just not know, as it would be a lot easier, but apparently that's not an option.

My luck/life in this past year is in line with having my jaw spontaneously break in the middle of the night and requiring $9000 of dental work to repair. I figure this means I should win the lottery at some point?

But I am seeing that apparently no one cares about how people treat others anymore. As, all I am told is to get over it. He's gone. What more do you want. Some days....just some minor justice would be nice.

Personally, I do not see any of this as a blessing or new beginning....honestly I would have preferred he fake it for another while so I could get a few rides to surgeries, and someone to help with day to day tasks when I can't get up. And then dump me when I'm at least in the position to stand up for myself. How sad is that....

September 2, 2023 10:54 pm  #5

Anon2222 wrote:

......How does one not become a bitter shrew?
So far I have get one of those torso punching bag things and just whack a lot of stuff!

Simple but not easy answer is.... the longer you're bitter the longer he stays in your head, and you have to decide not to be bitter about a man who doesn't care that you are. I know you'll resist my answer because you're still in the middle of needing to be bitter. Your ex left you with the job of picking up the pieces of the jigsaw that was your happy life that he threw at you and I can't imagine what that feels like because I had years to work through my shit, and time to plan. 
And now I've left A, though I'm as unhappy as a clown without a smile I spend my days mostly alone with an ever-present feeling of Not-quite-right but determined to start conversations with strangers and get out for exercise every day because if I don't I'll become somebody I don't want to be. I've found online groups.....Reddit, Facebook....allow my mind to focus on something other than the sadness that sits just behind my eyes. I've joined the New Zealand Women's Rights party which have registered in this years elections, and have put my name down for a course dealing with grief (I'm a bit hesitant about it because MY grief is not the normal everyday grief of a death) 

Getting rid of all the negatives that accumulated over the years is never going to happen. Like...it's in our veins  almost right? Tattooed into our skin, a thorn in our paws, the stone in our shoes. The other day I just wanted to die and be done with it. But then I remember I have to get to 85 at least.....and who knows what my life will be in 20 years. If I can do it so can you

E

KIA KAHA                       

September 3, 2023 1:54 pm  #6

Hi Anon2222,

I hear you. It isn't fair. And I also hear you about not wanting to become a bitter shrew, because that will just hurt you.

I think it's really important to genuinely acknowledge that it isn't fair. Life isn't fair. And that bad things happen to people who don't deserve them. Grieve. It's so important. 

And put the focus on you and your life. The more time you spend on you, mentally, emotionally and physically, the better. It takes time, so keep posting, and be gentle with yourself. What you are going through, both personally and in your relationship truly isn't fair.

You will get through this. 

Anon 765

September 3, 2023 2:16 pm  #7

Thank you for the responses. Yesterday was a day,,,,and today is another day lol. 

E - I feel the same way. It's hard to describe. It's not like I want to be bitter, it's not like I want to hold on to the negatives....it's just that everything was so bloody traumatic and there's such a lack of accountability for their actions. And society just supports this. It's just perfectly fine to dump your spouse of 20 years and not look back, because you just don't want them anymore.

I will say, the past year has been an eye opening experience. I look back and I think I lived a very sheltered life. With everything piling up, it did push me towards getting a diagnosis of some of my health issues if nothing else. I just sort of cracked and got ridiculously sick and couldn't put it off anymore, so at least I'm on the road towards proper diagnosis and treatment. Mixed blessing.

I found out I have a cognitive impairment and several other things (way back when I had a bunch of terrible stuff that involved an abscess in my brain and dozens of surgeries, and spent years in the hospital). I always thought something was up over the years, but had multiple docs tell me all was good. Turns out I was just really good at faking it. And when the shit hit the fan with all of this it was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. So, here we are.

One thing I have been stuck with is "rejection sensitive dysphoria" - I found out this is behind my intense struggle with everything. It's mortifying, humiliating and demoralizing to go through. 

"Dysphoria is Greek for “difficult to bear.” It’s not that people with RSD are wimps, or weak; it’s that the emotional response hurts them much more than it does people without the condition. No one likes to be rejected, criticized or fail. For people with RSD, these universal life experiences are much more severe than for neurotypical individuals. They are unbearable, restricting, and highly impairing.When this emotional response is internalized (and it often is for people with RSD), it can imitate a full, major mood disorder complete with suicidal ideation. The sudden change from feeling perfectly fine to feeling intensely sad that results from RSD is often misdiagnosed as rapid cycling mood disorder."I was told that that there is nothing I can do about my responses, because they are entirely out of my control. This was supposed to make me feel better.....it did not. I hate it. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I feel like I act like a complete idiot, and then he mocks me for it. And I tell myself I will never do it again....and around we go.

I don't know if sharing this information will benefit others....but I know I have had intense frustration and embarrassment with how I just can't seem to "let things go" and just not think about things, ignore it, not care, look towards the future, make new plans etc. I'm told I will get there, it's just going to take a lot longer and be a lot harder than for others in a similar situation. 

This is when it would be nice to have some compassion from my gay-ex of 20 years.....I made one attempt to explain the basics and ask him to please communicate in a manner that is clear (I found out what a lot of the impairments cause, and I struggle with vague non-answers and a few other things that he does). I told him that I have this cognitive impairment, these are the limitations around it, and this is what I would like to do to move through the divorce process as smoothly as possible. I put the onus on him and said, either you abide by the limitations I have and we work out some of the stuff ourselves and then take that to the lawyers, or you choose to ignore them and then you can talk only to my lawyer (I had the vague hope that I could save some money....)

First sentence of his response was "I don't know how to talk to you anymore", complete with "you keep saying you're over it, but your emails say otherwise" and "I have to do what is right for me, I'm sorry if that is selfish. I'm sorry it's impacting you, but I don't see what else I can do".

20 years....and he is completely unable to follow a simple request I have for a medical condition. Then he asked me to agree to a number for spousal support *eye roll*

The saga continues. I said he can direct all questions to my lawyer. 

I pray that my brain will work with me here and not doing anything else stupid.....I truly truly hope so.....

Maybe someone else can learn from everything I keep doing wrong in this process, or has a similar struggle....misery loves company!

I do value the support from this page.

September 4, 2023 4:03 pm  #8

Have your lawyer draw out what you need for support.   Don't settle for anything less..

Leave vengeance to God.  Someday he will be sick.  Thank God foe getting you away from someone that would leave you when your sick.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 4, 2023 6:21 pm  #9

Hello Anon,

I've had to let the anger out in a healthy manner first and be a 'bitter shrew' to go forward. Am not happy about the past but it's not as important to me now. Maybe this is part of your process too?

Perhaps ask for as much as you can now for a financial award. You can return it to him afterwards if you think it wasn't fair after the dust settles.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

September 6, 2023 2:57 pm  #10

Thanks for all the replies. Not gonna lie, health stuff sucks! I am dealing with a nasty post-op infection this week and had to have it drained. The pain does not help anything. I think I finally figured out the disconnect. Because I was really struggling with what the hell is he thinking in all of this because I felt like he was delusional.

Turns out, this entire time, he had in his head that I wanted to discuss our relationship and that I was just waiting around for him to figure out what he wanted in life. I missed something here because all I wanted to talk about was the divorce and getting him out of my life. It helps when he actually bothers to consider what I'm saying *eye roll*

I can hope that the divorce process will now be smoother....now that I have made it crystal clear that I want nothing to do with him, ever. But I won't hold my breath. These are definitely not normal or reasonable people to deal with.

Blackie - it's sad in the end, but I have reached the point where I just loathe him as a human being...which makes it easier ironically. Because they are just so awful you never want them in your life ever again. My brain being a bit different hasn't helped matters, but I guess the benefit of hitting rock bottom is you can only go up?

MJ - I think I have to do this as well. I think I have to work on the anger part right now. Because, the difficult part for me is that the anger is actually justified. He's a vile person and I have every right to be angry. I am not good about being comfortable with strong emotions though, and I am still cursed from being raised with the whole women shouldn't have great displays of emotion thing. A friend of mine offered to take me to one of those places where you go into a room and smash things lol

Board footera