OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2023 3:46 pm  #1

Support Group

After 24 years of marriage, I just discovered that my husband is gay. I am not planning to be his secret keeper. We have a 20 year old daughter who who told the truth to, after my husband rejected that she needed to know. I am thankful that I find this forum. Thank you for all your advise and postings. 

Do you know of any other online support group or retreat for the straight spouses? 
Thank you for any information you have.

September 11, 2023 10:29 am  #2

Re: Support Group

Alternate path and mixed orientation marriages on group io. They also have one for husbands that are out called HOW. There's a whole book on the mixed orientation marriages website. There are also groups on reddit that you can look into one of mixed orientation marriages, married and bi, straight bi partners, support for betrayed etc. Any Other suggestions id gladly appreciate it.
Thank you

Last edited by Shh0406 (September 11, 2023 10:31 am)

September 11, 2023 2:39 pm  #3

Thank you very much, SHH0406. I will look into all of that.  I am very interested in virtual conversation on the topic in the form of support. Do you know of groups that meet online?
I really appreciate any information you may have,
addokar

September 11, 2023 2:54 pm  #4

addokar wrote:

.....Do you know of any other online support group or retreat for the straight spouses? 
Thank you for any information you have.....

If you don't wish to be his secret-keeper stay away from groups that believe a Mixed Orientation Marriage works because his secret will become yours to carry.

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

September 11, 2023 3:11 pm  #5

Thank you very much, Elle. What do you mean? Can you please elaborate a bit?
addokar.

September 11, 2023 3:33 pm  #6

addokar wrote:

Thank you very much, Elle. What do you mean? Can you please elaborate a bit?
addokar.

I thought it was pretty obvious. You can't not become a secret-keeper and an enabler if you join a group or website specifically set up for 2 married people joining together. (For context I tried to find help 6-7 years ago from a Yahoo mixed orientation group but was told I couldn't join as a single person.)
You would be, in essence, allowing the non-straight Significant Other to have sway over the decisions that, I believe, should be yours alone....as the straightspouse

E

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (September 11, 2023 3:34 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

September 11, 2023 6:34 pm  #7

They have online meetings i think. Regardless if she is going to stay in the relationship or not these groups really have alot of insight and wisdom into mixed orientation marriages. If she hasnt made that decision yet.. these groups will help her. Nobody in those groups that I'm aware of keep it a secret. Not sure

September 11, 2023 8:04 pm  #8

Shh0406 wrote:

..... Regardless if she is going to stay in the relationship or not these groups really have alot of insight and wisdom into mixed orientation marriages.

This Forum has insight and wisdom also. It's all about where she wants to see her life in 2, 5, 10 years and in my opinion this member needs to research both options

E

KIA KAHA                       

September 11, 2023 11:55 pm  #9

Thank you to both of you. I am not staying with my spouse. He already left the family after I found out that he is sleeping with men. I am not the one to keep his secret, specially, when he is making up story about me and why he is leaving the marriage. I am so hurt and looking for a virtual meeting for support group for people like me. I cannot find any in the town where I live.
Again, I appreciate you both,
addokar

September 12, 2023 2:29 am  #10

addokar wrote:

Thank you to both of you. I am not staying with my spouse. He already left the family after I found out that he is sleeping with men. I am not the one to keep his secret, specially, when he is making up story about me and why he is leaving the marriage. I am so hurt and looking for a virtual meeting for support group for people like me. I cannot find any in the town where I live.
Again, I appreciate you both,
addokar

Ah I see....I thought you were still looking to stay in the marriage. 
I'm only 3 months out of my 38 year r'ship (de facto, not married) and it's very lonely even though I'm living with 
family....all I have is this Forum really. Certainly haven't found any face-to-face support group. It's a difficult subject to bring up with strangers and here in New Zealand there doesn't seem to be any outlet for the straightspouse anyway so I've really had to accept I have to work on myself, my health...physical AND mental. 
I have had several counselling sessions but earlier in this journey when my then-partner paid for them. I can't afford $140 per hour anymore. So....this Forum, a good friend I can tell anything to and the realisation that freedom from that life means I should focus on me....and one day there may be a group of women (and maybe men) I can feel confident among enough to talk about it. I don't work and I make myself get out amongst people every day, go for a walk and don't let myself sit and think for too long

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera