OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2023 7:21 am  #1

Husband came out as Bi 1 month ago..need advice

My very loving husband of 21 years (since I was 18) came out as bi to me 1 month ago.  He said he always felt that something was missing and that he had supressed this feeling since he was a teenager. Originally from Brazil, we met shortly after he came to the states when we were very young.  We have been pregnant 6 times, and have 3 living children, 1 with Cerebral Palsy and 1 with Autism.  We are very romantic and passionate together and both love each other and we both say we are each others soulmates.  
When he told me, he was very respectful about it.  He had picked me up from the airport after a very long work trip and were alone in a hotel room for the night together, away from kids/family.  He cried, he was only just started to accept who he is.  He told me how much he loves me and is in love with me and wants to make this marriage work and not leave.  However, he is inisistant on sleeping with Men on the side but had not done anything yet.
I had a very hard time at first with everything, how could he be this after 21 years together?  I felt like I was not enough, that I had done something wrong.  I did not and still dont want him going out and cheating on me with men so I thought a 3 some with a bi men would be better.  He was reluctant because he didnt want to do things in front of me but we ended up doing it together.  It was hard to see him do things with a man but was easier then I thought it would be.  He had the harder time seeing me with someone else.  It has been 2 weeks since the threesome and he is still wanting to sleep with men on the side on his own.  I dont know if I can accept this.  To me it is cheating.  We are both seeing our own therapist now and have started to see a LGBTQ+ marriage therapist.  Does anyone have any experiences with a bi husband and if they are okay with them going out on the side for this?  
The most suprising thing about him coming out....we have had relations everyday since he told me and it has been hotter then ever.

August 10, 2023 1:12 pm  #2

Re: Husband came out as Bi 1 month ago..need advice

Danielle062747 wrote:

.....Does anyone have any experiences with a bi husband and if they are okay with them going out on the side for this?  
The most suprising thing about him coming out....we have had relations everyday since he told me and it has been hotter then ever.

Welcome to our Forum Danielle 🙂

At first when I learned of A's bisexuality I was still in love with him, confused about what it meant, scared of change. So I tried to incorporate his 'other side' into our lives. Some people have the sort of personality and attitude that makes this possible. In the end however, when I realised it was more about him than it was about us I started thinking and making decisions for myself.
I think the longer it goes on the harder it is to see a way through it because the love and desire you started with, as a heterosexual couple, makes it difficult to separate yourself from all you've known.

The fact you've had amazing sex every day since he told you isn't surprising to us. Your "very loving husband" won't want to lose the heterosexual history you have together because it's easier than exposing who he really is to others. You would be his "beard" and have to be okay with him fucking other men and possibly putting your health at risk. Your husband hasn't just become bisexual 1 month ago. This doesn't happen overnight

Keep posting and asking questions Danielle

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 10, 2023 6:41 pm  #3

Hi Danielle, and welcome!

I thought I could maybe be in an open marriage, but realized after some reflection that no, it is just not who I am. It would have been much easier to stay together, but I would have been sacrificing something of myself, and I wasn't able to do that. 

I think that open marriages can work for some people, and that's great if it does. But it's a really individual choice.

It's good you're getting help from therapists. This truly has nothing to do with you, and you not being "enough for him". 

Good luck with the decision you will have to make moving forward. You're allowed to make the decision that works best for you.

Anon 765

August 12, 2023 11:04 pm  #4

I’m sorry for what you’re going through. That is a lot of change to your relationship in a month. I think it would be better to put on the brakes a bit if possible. That’ll probably be harder to do since you already opened your marriage. It’s often said there should be at least one year of careful consideration and conversations and therapy before making big changes to the structure of your relationship in these situations.

My husband asked for a very likely and infrequent FWB situation. I considered it for months when he came out. I considered ALL possibilities. Ultimately I knew I wouldn’t be okay with opening and later he realized he also wasn’t built for non-monogamy. That was almost 4 years ago.

It is common that sex and intimacy increase after coming out because the bi partner feels freedom/relief if he gets acceptance and understanding from his partner.

I’m going to send you a private message.

Last edited by TangledOil (August 13, 2023 12:27 am)

August 15, 2023 1:43 pm  #5

My husband suggested a threesome when he came out to me a few months ago and I thought he had lost his mind.   I'm still hurt that he would suggest it.  He would like an open marriage but has told me that he will be monogamous since that's what I want.  I don't know whether to trust him since he has cheated on me in the past.  Our sex life has improved as well since we're communicating about what we both want now, and because I'm trying to keep him happy so that he won't seek extramarital sex.   I would not be able to accept an open marriage. I told him that if he feels that he needs to have sex with a man to tell me first so that we can part as friends.   I told him that I would be supportive and try to help him on his journey.   

Last edited by M-Kate (August 15, 2023 1:48 pm)

August 15, 2023 4:06 pm  #6

M-Kate wrote:

...... I told him that if he feels that he needs to have sex with a man to tell me first so that we can part as friends.   I told him that I would be supportive and try to help him on his journey.   

I hope if you must support what he does that you don't lose yourself in the drama and sadness of what this will mean.

Personally I became not willing to help A. ruin my life in fulfilling his sexualities fantasies

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 15, 2023 4:35 pm  #7

I think Kate is hoping that he will tell her before sleeping with a man so she can divorce him amicably.  

So sorry Kate.  But when he has already opened the topic of a threesome, I think it more likely he is already having sex with men than that he isn't and will tell you when he does.

August 15, 2023 7:04 pm  #8

M-Kate wrote:

...... I'm trying to keep him happy so that he won't seek extramarital sex...... 

And so if you stopped "making him happy" what do you think would happen? You'd lose him? The man who wants a 3-some with another man so you can ultimately get used to him going off for sex on his own? I'm channeling my own experience here and your situation may be....may be....totally different but in the end I really don't care about what your husband is, thinks, does or dreams....I care that you....you M-kate...don't become invisible in your marriage, stand up for your values not his, that you learn to see and appreciate your own worth, and not as the cake he has (and makes him happy)  before he goes off to eat the icing.

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 24, 2023 4:29 pm  #9

Hi M-Kate

I think your stance: " I would not be able to accept an open marriage. I told him that if he feels that he needs to have sex with a man to tell me first so that we can part as friends. I told him that I would be supportive and try to help him on his journey."

...is totally right! It sets your boundary clearly and it's in no way aggressive or condescending towards your husband. 

As I understand he's out just a few months ago, so his thinking is still very much centered arround himself. What he feels, what he thinks etc. 
Actually, you (and what you feel) is somewhere in the background of his thoughts. Which for you is of course way out of line, he should be considering your feelings first, or at least second or third. But this is not what you see, and not what is happening.

You're totally right in your expectations, but alas that's not how it works. Nevertheless, this doesn't mean you must adjust and give in to this. 
I understand our culture presses upon us to embrace the woke like thinking, and what supposedly is the right reponse... Be very understanding, give in to the line of thought that sexual urges and needs are by far the most important things in life. If you stand in the way, you are considered criminal and hurting your spouse. For only when he's living out his sexuality he can be "truly authentic".

Yeah sure, you can follow that, or... call it BS! For it's simply plain nonsense!

If your husband also buys into that thinking, you have an extra problem in marriage. But it's not because you are wrong in your expectations of marriage. It's because he allowed himself to be dragged allong in his desires and well... lust.
Sex is an important and powerful thing in men, so if a man allows himself to get caught up in sexual feelings, it's not that easy to let it go.

What you write, I think you're doing good things in a pragmatic way. Next to that you set clear and healthy boundaries. 
Now your husband has to learn some wisdom. I get the impression he's not acting as an adult. Like he still has to learn what life, love and marriage is about. What his wife feels and what her emotions and inner feelings are, seem not to be on his radar. Which is odd, given you're married for several years. So seemingly his personal and emotional growth has come to a standstill quite some time ago.

There can be several reasons for this, and it's on him to work on it (and find help for this). I hope he will understand this and takes on responsibility for his life. Not an easy thing, but the right thing to do. (for you, but for himself too). 

It's not in your power what he decides. It could (and should) only be his own choice made from his free will. Only then it can lead somewhere that is  meaningful. 
So that's why your current stance is very good, you draw a clear line where your (healthy) boundaries are. He has to decide for himself. Hopefully not to just keep to those boundaries as a necessity (or else...), but see it as an opportunity to finaly work on himself. Getting to grips with his homosexual feelings and desires, accepting that is a part of him. But... just a part, there's more to life as he surely understands.
Questioning himself what "being authentic" really and actually is. Becoming an adult responsible man in a marriage with the woman he loves.
Well, this is his potential choice, it's up to him of course. Be wary of just promisses and good intentions, I'm sure he wishes to be a better husband, but it has to be a very-very real conviction in himself! And you probably want nothing more than to believe his good intentions, for if he did that, that would be a great outcome. But you have to be sure it's the real thing. Don't allow yourself to be fooled. 
The process of handling this is complicated and has to go the bottom of a persons soul. So both have to be prepared for a hard time ahead, don't believe in easy ways out or promisses made from wishful thinking.

Male sexuality can be such a good thing, a positive force in marriage. But only if it is in service of love for his wife. Only then it's meaningfull and contributes to a man's selfrespect. He won't find it anywhere else, moreover it will only undermine his selfrespect. But he has to understand this himself, in his mind and heart.

If he doesn't you shouldn't become a victim of his stupidity.

Dutchman.

Board footera