OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2023 1:48 pm  #1

statistics

I just read that over 20% of gen Z identify as LGBTQ.  I really didn't realize it was that high.   Is anyone else surprised?   My husband tells me that he was born this way.  I have my doubts. I think it's more complicated.  Does anyone have a good understanding of this phenomenon?   Will it continue to increase each year? 

August 9, 2023 3:22 pm  #2

Re: statistics

With the trans community I think that, with the global reliance on cell phones/social media by our children and the absorption of so much influencing "be like me!"...."if you're this you must be that"....."if you feel uncomfortable in your body, change what you identify as!", this discovery of self has a way to go yet. It may even take a generation or two of people realising what they've done/been allowed to do to their bodies was a mistake. 
I suspect that care-givers/parents/doctors who oversee the mental health in our young have become far too reliant on medicating the problem away.

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 9, 2023 6:51 pm  #3

Yes, I agree.   I want to be "woke" and believe that people should live their lives as they please, but I think that it's a complicated issue.  I admit that I don't really understand it. 

August 9, 2023 11:52 pm  #4

My eyes were open on the trans subject by watching many youtube videos made by young “detransitioners” (people who socialy transitioned, took hormones, had surgeries and then realized it was all a mistake).
Most of them talk about being influenced on social media to transition. It is shocking to hear how easy it is nowadays to get hormones and surgery.
Most of these young people were just going through normal puberty stuff (being uncomfortable in their bodies), but quickly were diagnosed with gender dysphoria. Many of them are lesbian/gay, and at a young age thought that if they change their sex- they would be “more normal” (hetero). It’s completely crazy, it’s like conversion therapy but with hormones and surgeries. There are great interviews with Benjamin Boyce on youtube with many of them.

August 10, 2023 12:29 am  #5

I think many of those people are affected by trans social contagent (as mentioned by others before) and many others are just lying (maybe to themselves too) to get victimization points.

August 10, 2023 11:27 am  #6

How can 20% of the population be LGBTQ?   Really?  

August 10, 2023 1:19 pm  #7

M-Kate wrote:

How can 20% of the population be LGBTQ?   Really?  

Because the world and it's inhabitants are continually changing
And we're all individuals looking for happiness.

Personally I believe the internet has made the world smaller and social media has thrown us into everybody else' living room and nothing is secret anymore

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 10, 2023 1:50 pm  #8

Glad that people who are LGBT+ are more comfortable identifying as such and hopefully making straight partners an endangered species.  However, I also had three kids in high school last year, who informed me that it's pathologically uncool to self-identify as straight.

August 10, 2023 2:34 pm  #9

Wow!   That's very interesting.  It's really a cultural phenomenon. 

August 10, 2023 2:35 pm  #10

They're not all "born" LGBTQ.  

Board footera