OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2023 8:01 pm  #1

In the span of a month.

On June 12th— I discovered my husband is transgender. I have posted before about the initial days after disclosure. He (I am using he/him for now as I am not sure if he’s changed that officially yet either.) was kind and loving and we were supporting each other to the best of our ability. Both for each other. And for the kids.

A week into that initial stage, everything changed. The cracks in the trust started to show, the spending quickly up-ticked, the support I was showing was constantly rejected, and then he started hormones. He had previously told me that he did not intend to start hormones without talking to our children first— that did not happen.

I sort of always knew we would not be able to weather this storm. Our marriage was already strained. We did not go into this on a strong foundation.

So at the advice of many on here, my therapist, and others— I filed for legal separation today. I originally planned to file for divorce. In fact the divorce papers had been completed. I told my husband this yesterday and he did not take it very well. Saying mostly that it had only been a month and that we needed a hell of a lot more time for the kids, therapy, and to navigate this. After speaking with my lawyer, since divorce and legal separation are basically the same thing in my state— I changed it to legal separation. I want to do right by my family. My kids are my biggest priorities in all of this. We have 6 months until it can be converted to a divorce. And likely, our divorce would have taken that long to settle anyway.

My husband has no intention of living elsewhere. I also have no intention of leaving either. I want to keep as much as possible normal for my kids. He plans to “move” to the basement for the time being. In this 6 months we intend to get everything in order and figure out next steps.

I know exactly what is most important for me to fight for— yet I fear it won’t be able to happen. It’s just another part of this mindfuck.

After my husband returned home today after one night at his sisters— he came home in quite a mood. A mood that clearly indicated that even filing to end this all won’t shake his selfishness. What a sinking feeling. We started out talking about family— and it quickly spiraled into the usual diatribe about how *he* had been ruined in this. About what *he* needs. About how *everyone* else does not know how to share proper support. Will NOTHING snap a trans person out of only focusing on themselves?

I get it. He’s lived a whole life that didn’t feel authentic. But why does that prevent being able to then be authentic and KIND? Wouldn’t getting to realize your true self make a person kinder? Compassionate? Open? Just fucking civil, even?!?

I am at peace with the decision on a legal separation. I know it’s what had to be done for my family— despite me wanting a divorce initially. I know that’s not going to change. However, does anyone have advice about how to “practice being divorced” during the process? Any one liners that you could repeat to yourself that helped? Any pointers for curbing the attempted gaslighting? (I say attempted because I am DONE with that shit.) Also any pointers from those that navigated this with kiddos?

I do have a therapist. But I’ve learned that this is one of things in life where it helps exponentially to ask those that have walked the walk. Because this kind of life implosion is quite specific. It’s a very special kind of hell.

Best,
May.b

July 13, 2023 9:02 pm  #2

Re: In the span of a month.

may.b wrote:

......does anyone have advice about how to “practice being divorced” during the process? Any one liners that you could repeat to yourself that helped? Any pointers for curbing the attempted gaslighting? (I say attempted because I am DONE with that shit.).....

It was real task to stop the emotions from spilling out in either words, deeds or distress...and responding to a trigger. I first had to realise that it was a trigger and to see that..it had to happen a few times and I had to tell myself "ah right. Stop! Think! Don't react!" It takes milli-seconds to react  emotionally to a trigger....but once you're aware of what's potentially coming it only takes milli-seconds to switch from outburst to "I know what you're doing, I'm ignoring you"

My one-liner was "it doesn't matter anymore"

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 13, 2023 11:58 pm  #3

Mayb,

So sorry.  You're doing fairly well navigating with a selfish soon to be ex.

I asked my GX why she couldn't be kind..and she said she didn't want to.  Basically as soon as I started making decisions for myself she was furious..all control of the marriage, money, the universe etc was supposed to be hers..

My best advice for separating from a raging and mean narcisstic spouse is to observe but don't absorb. Since they cannot be kind  there is no point talking to them as you know what you will get..more lies, selfishness, and hurt.   They are really rants of a dellusional person.  My GX really thought if she screamed loud enough and became angry enough that would make whatever she was screaming true.  But it does not.

It takes a lot stoicism and faith..in God and in knowing that there is an end to the alternate moral reality that they created..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 14, 2023 10:14 am  #4

Ellexoh_nz & Rob - these are helpful tips as I am starting to experience my GID husband's (legally separated) narcissist behaviors and entitled ways to increase. He's now facing the reality that his life is changing and has been very passive-aggressive in his remarks regarding our children and how I care for them while he's on work travel. He knows it's the only trigger that would work on me now. 

Mayb - My GID husband and I have technically lived separately in the same household for 3 years. I'm only doing it for the children's sake, and he travels 60-70% of the time. I used to believe we would remain friends, BUT it's been rocky the last few months. It's a transition for both of us. I have my therapist to ensure I stay mentally in a good place. However, I just made an appointment to speak with a Family Therapist to get advice and walk through the steps of telling our children. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't want to tell our kids we are separated. Heck, he doesn't want to tell anyone. This is a problem as I would like to be in a loving relationship with a man one day! Most importantly,  I believe our children deserve the truth - not that dad is gay - but we are separated and committed to raising our kids in a loving household.  I honestly don't mind living with my GID husband. He's a great Dad but I'm not going to his beard and live my life in a closet! 

July 14, 2023 10:46 am  #5

You have to start seeing it a a purely business arrangement working on the family as a project. There are two main types of transgender women. Type A are the psychological phenotype gender dysphoria type. The standard version of transgender person who is literally the wrong brain for the body. They normally experience this most of their lives until they come to transition fully or, to an acceptable degree fairly early in adult life. This is usually met with a sense of relief, as their bodies now meet and marry up with their psychological selves. They often behave or are already presenting more towards their opposite gender. It will be incredibly rare for these people to enter into heterosexual relationships through marriage and then being able to raise families without some form of disclosure to their partners about how they feel inside.

The other more common type b are the Autogynephiles  whose motivation is largely sexual and emotional. They are frequently heterosexual men, whose attraction to femininity has gone out to become realised in their female partners. Then it seems that the ideation of themselves as female, leads to internalised desire of the idea of being female themselves. They are driven by a strong sexual need to become a woman and will chase that identity through increasing the level of feminine ideation. Each new experience and change provides a drive to go further until they either reach their own plateau or continue on to full transition. Their need for a female body of their own is different but still very real to them. The female persona becomes increasingly stronger against its masculine host until it wins out as dominant and alone. For many female partners this is like invasion of the body snatchers, as the man they once knew becomes someone else entirely. The new female personality is like all people and can be perfectly reasonable and understanding, but frequently becomes very demanding and selfish. Demanding recognition and affirmations for the created female self. They are in love with the female self and will shower her with gifts and attention wherever possible. Often simply not understanding why no one else loves them or sees them the way they do. This also tends to take place later in life, usually around middle age and frequently when the host man’s job has been completed. This can be the fathering of children and the marriage to a woman. It snowballs, with varying degrees of speed. But, it does not stop and reverse. But, we are here to talk about you. To recognise you as the female partner and your struggles. In this day and age, there is almost an acceptance that we should support and protect transgender people. We must never lose sight of the people who are left behind when this happens to a wife or partner who was, or is in relationship to an Autogynephile. You are and will be the same person after all of this has run its course. It is entirely up to you how much you can take and how far along you go in their journey. It does not have to be your journey, you did not sign up for this.

They often rewrite history to suggest that they have always been this way and thus identifying as a type A. This is to assuage any guilt that they may have about what they are doing, and will also garner more sympathy for their plight. The tragic thing here is, that it leaves the female spouse asking herself "how did I not know?" This is a false narrative. You could not know because your husband was, and is a heterosexual man. He may have experienced the female ideation paraphilia for some time. Likely accepting this as a fetish or kink. It is only later on that it starts to grow stronger and stronger. The more times they experience the thrill of the idea, the further it is pushed.

Last edited by Ordinary guy (July 14, 2023 10:52 am)

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

Board footera