OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2023 10:42 am  #1

love my husband in recovery with meth addiction

This is my first post--I just found this forum. I have known since day 1 that my husband was bisexual (we have been married 27 years).  When we got married, he was committed to a monogamous relationship. He loves me very deeply, is very attracted to me.  He had never really worked out his sexuality--all of his relationships with men have been furtive, he's never had a healthy relationship with a man.  6 years ago, he went into recovery for a meth addiction that absolutely shocked me--not something I have any experience with at all.  Sex with men went along with it--apparently with his drug dealers.  I have come to understand that this isn't all that unusual.  He worked really hard at it, changed a lot, really loved his sobriety, and we had the best 5 years of our marriage ever. I learned a lot about addiction and we really worked on our relationship.   In January, after a stressful period, he relapsed--meth and sex.  He is back in recovery and we are trying to put things back together, each individually working on ourselves and also in couples therapy.  But I am wrecked.  I'm trying  to go to 12 step meetings but feel like I haven't met others in a similar situation.  There's so much love in our relationship, and I deeply want this to work, but it's so, so hard.  Anyone else with a similar story or helpful support?

May 11, 2023 2:32 pm  #2

Re: love my husband in recovery with meth addiction

No familiarity with a drug addicted spouse or being a drug addict.

I do think at some point he has to want the marriage and you more than any drug.  A drug that he was willing to do things for despite how much they hurt you or him.. it does not sound like something you can solve..it may be you have to leave him to save yourself...and that is something you do have control over.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera