OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2023 12:44 pm  #41

Re: My wife came out as a lesbian. Can MOM work?

Anon42

"..And I'm sure it is the same for her, since she decided that we're not really married a long time ago."

I mention this a lot in my posts..how these spouses divorced us long ago..  with their unilateral secret decision and actions.   

When we find out about their decisions  we are far behind and they are far ahead...they are perplexed by this.  Then when we say their actions and decisions have consequences they are usually angry more than perplexed..  yet they know and knew exactly what they decided or were doing would hurt us...  and they did it anyway.

They are not Gods or omnipotent beings..  we can make unilateral decisions just like they can..this infuriates them.   They can hurt but we are not supposed to..in their minds. 

These spouses cannot inflict an infinite  amount of hurt and we are expected to join them in hurting ourselves.
There are consequences to actions..these spouses knew that.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 1, 2023 4:16 pm  #42

Anon42 wrote:

I mean so far the deal is that she's not dating while we're together, so she probably does not get what she wants. But she is trying to push me in the direction of letting her do it. Like, "why wait for separation/divorce, it's almost the same". And I'm sure it is the same for her, since she decided that we're not really married a long time ago.

In a similar vein, we were once talking about a friend who has been battling cancer, and I mentioned that we're having a similarly stressful situation at our home (I was feeling really bad back then), but she brushed it off saying that surely cancer is much worse.

I don't want to think of her as a manipulator though. I'm trying to remain objective (and friendly to her), and so far there probably was not too much of manipulation, at least compared to what other people here have experienced.

Of course you don't want to think of her as manipulating you, oh goodness, there are no words to describe how awful it is to go through the discovery that the person you have loved and who you thought you were having a marriage with is not there in the marriage with you but is completely outside of it - there was no reciprocity, for him it was just about getting what he wanted from me - I remember thinking at one point it's like all my marriage I have been talking to a sock puppet.  And now I can see him, standing in the shadows.

Of course you don't want to think of her as dating women.  

And of course you want to believe she cares about you, at least a little.

The conclusion I reached, standing there in the garden feeling so forlorn, was that I needed to put my arm round me.  

wishing you all the best, 42.  Look after yourself at all times.

Last edited by lily (August 1, 2023 4:18 pm)

August 1, 2023 4:34 pm  #43

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

And you don't actually have to give away her secret until you feel you want to. I got round that feeling that I couldn't tell people that A. liked men 'gasp'....and merely alluded to him "seeing other people"

That's a good idea. I could be telling people that she wants an open "marriage". I wonder if she'd prefer me telling that she is gay instead.

August 1, 2023 9:13 pm  #44

Anon42 wrote:

.......I wonder if she'd prefer me telling that she is gay instead.

I know you're probably being facetious but.....talking about this to somebody else could mean them suggesting that she may be gay....and there is your opening lol 
I know I shouldn't LOL but having got through the Mindfuck I see it all so clearly that what held me back for so long was not wanting to make it public while I was still living with A. because the thought of living in "air you could cut with a knife" and  "walking on eggshells" was unthinkable. 

The information you want to tell other people should be all about you....your point of view, your side of things not hers, that way you're not crossing boundaries of her privacy if you're not ready to divulge stuff.
Take a deep breath. This is your life

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 2, 2023 12:35 am  #45

Rob wrote:

Anon42

I mention this a lot in my posts..how these spouses divorced us long ago..  with their unilateral secret decision and actions.

Yeah, I agree.

Rob wrote:

There are consequences to actions..these spouses knew that.

Looks like my wife thought that there will no be consequences. But there will be.

lily wrote:

... there are no words to describe how awful it is to go through the discovery that the person you have loved and who you thought you were having a marriage with is not there in the marriage with you but is completely outside of it - there was no reciprocity...

True. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this, but looking back it becomes quite clear that there was no marriage to speak of for quite a while.

lily wrote:

wishing you all the best, 42.  Look after yourself at all times.

Thanks, you too!

August 2, 2023 12:53 am  #46

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

I know you're probably being facetious but..

Nope, I'm quite serious. See below.

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

The information you want to tell other people should be all about you....your point of view, your side of things not hers, that way you're not crossing boundaries of her privacy if you're not ready to divulge stuff.
Take a deep breath. This is your life

We are going to tell people that we're getting divorced, and I expect them to ask why.

But you see my wife thinks she can get away with not telling the whole truth. She thinks she can say something like "we have sexual incompatibility" (and indeed she did tell that to one of her friends).

I think this explanation does not quite cover the important aspects of the situation. Like the fact that it's absolutely not my fault, and it is absolutely all my wife's doing.

Saying that she requested an open marriage and I suggested a divorce does cover those details. But for her it is a bit more damning than explaining that she is gay. I think.

I'm not sure how I can talk to people about the situation without mentioning at least some of that. If you have more ideas, they're always welcome

August 2, 2023 3:29 am  #47

Anon42 wrote:

.......But you see my wife thinks she can get away with not telling the whole truth. She thinks she can say something like "we have sexual incompatibility" (and indeed she did tell that to one of her friends).

I think this explanation does not quite cover the important aspects of the situation. Like the fact that it's absolutely not my fault, and it is absolutely all my wife's doing.

Saying that she requested an open marriage and I suggested a divorce does cover those details. But for her it is a bit more damning than explaining that she is gay. I think.

I'm not sure how I can talk to people about the situation without mentioning at least some of that. If you have more ideas, they're always welcome

The woman who dropped a bomb into your life can say what she wants to, as less as she wants to. That's her choice.
Hmm....I'm envisaging you in conversation with one, or some of your friends......and the subject of your separation/divorce comes up. And you say "this is how it is....." And then proceed to speak your truth. There need be no malice in the telling of it. But why let her 'fairytale' over you so no judgement falls on her?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 2, 2023 11:35 am  #48

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

The woman who dropped a bomb into your life can say what she wants to, as less as she wants to. That's her choice.
And you say "this is how it is....." And then proceed to speak your truth. There need be no malice in the telling of it. But why let her 'fairytale' over you so no judgement falls on her?

Ah, I think we have a little misunderstanding in that I'm trying to agree with my wife on what we tell people, and what you're saying is that I should not try to agree with her on that. And you're probably right, but I'm trying to keep things peaceful for now.

As others suggested I'll probably start telling people what I want after a certain deadline which I'll communicate to my wife.

August 2, 2023 2:20 pm  #49

See the trouble is that while you are catching up to the realities it is likely your wife is actively preparing for divorce.

If she were going to play nice then fine take all the time you need but she's not going to be is she.  

Turned out my ex had been preparing for years for the day I said I wanted a divorce and in the 18 months that followed he went into hyper drive, siphoning off more money from our joint account and putting it into his secret one that he'd had for years without me knowing.  And so on.  The so on included talking with my closest friends first before I did - while I was being quiet about it for his sake, he was busy lying to my friends and turning them against me.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth where I live, I am concerned about being nice to him in the divorce process.

Divorce is horrible, and once it is done you live with the consequences.  My suggestion is that you start talking to the people that matter, like Elle says, about you, what's happening to you.

Let things be peaceful, not because you are doing what she wants but because you are not responsive to her manipulation - no need to fight her, just slip the leash.

It's not a partnership, it never really was, you can take control back for your life now.

August 2, 2023 4:24 pm  #50

lily wrote:

See the trouble is that while you are catching up to the realities it is likely your wife is actively preparing for divorce.

If she were going to play nice then fine take all the time you need but she's not going to be is she.  

Turned out my ex had been preparing for years for the day I said I wanted a divorce and in the 18 months that followed he went into hyper drive, siphoning off more money from our joint account and putting it into his secret one that he'd had for years without me knowing.  And so on.  The so on included talking with my closest friends first before I did - while I was being quiet about it for his sake, he was busy lying to my friends and turning them against me.

I'm so sorry this happened to you!
In my case I believe (so far) that she's not doing any of that. Ok, she did tell about "sexual incompatibility" to one friend of hers, but that's it. I hope.
On the contrary, it's me who's pushing for the divorce and she does not really want to leave. Well, at least I don't think she'll want to move till she has a girlfriend.

On the other hand, of course she was preparing to break the marriage for several years now.
And while what we have can maybe still be called a partnership, it's definitely not a marriage.

Board footera