OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2023 2:42 pm  #1

Sex questions: where to get intercourse answer

Ok, I am a cis woman married to a trans woman, I just found out a week ago.
I had no idea.
I have a ton ton ton of questions, but the one troubling me today is how my sex life is going to change, assuming I can handle staying in this relationship.
I try looking it up on google searches, but everything is about how to please a trans woman.  Nothing I find talks about how my sex life is going to change.  Especially since when he disclosed, he told me he already started the process of requesting to start hormones.
WE have always had a good sex life.  I feel like I'm going to lose the things I like the most becasue he is going to physically change.  
I am trying to avoid being graphic in my questions, but want somewhere to ask these questions.
Anyone have some direction for resources?  I really want to know in general what to expect for me.
Thanks!

March 10, 2023 3:09 pm  #2

Re: Sex questions: where to get intercourse answer

This site might not be the best place to get answers to your questions. Since your spouse is a trans woman perhaps you might find out what sex could be like for you by looking into lesbian sexual activities.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

March 10, 2023 3:37 pm  #3

Abby wrote:

This site might not be the best place to get answers to your questions. Since your spouse is a trans woman perhaps you might find out what sex could be like for you by looking into lesbian sexual activities.

I'm not asking how to have lesbian sex.  I'm asking about what the bedroom is like during medical transition.  I have questions about people's experiences of loss of what you know and enjoy and how to come to terms as a very very very heterosexual being.

March 10, 2023 3:59 pm  #4

Look I'm sorry but now you're a cis woman married to a trans woman and I wonder if you realise how undermining that is.

Here's another reframe - you are a woman married to a man who is planning to go to extreme lengths to feminise himself.

I simply cannot think of any way to handle this.  You are saying you are heterosexual.  Not to be too graphic about it but this is not going in a good direction is it.

March 10, 2023 4:01 pm  #5

I wasn't trying to be rude but the women who post here whose spouses are transitioning or have transitioned do not seem to have remained sexually active with their spouses. They are struggled or are struggling mightily with staying in the relationship and may not be at a place to answer your questions.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

March 10, 2023 5:03 pm  #6

yes i think you are right Abby, some of the women have made extraordinary efforts to accommodate their trans woman/ husband's changes to their sex life.

The thing is, quite apart from all that, there seems to be a consistent story line where the feminising husband insists he wants to stay married he wants a lesbian relationship but then that changes and from what I've seen around me the best thing for him is if he can be with another trans woman.

Last edited by lily (March 10, 2023 5:06 pm)

March 10, 2023 8:48 pm  #7

There was a group on Facebook that had a lot of women who remained in their marriage after their spouse announced they were transitioning. Most of them have moved to open marriages. Others have just accepted more of a roommates type of marriage. A few are still active but the women in that group met their spouse after transition and have always identified as a lesbian or they have always identified as bi. I don't remember the name of the group. I left it when I divorced my trans spouse because it no longer applied to me.

So, you googled and everything you found is about how to please your transitioning spouse. Well, and I am going to be blunt here, get used to that. EVERYTHING becomes about your spouse and their transition. All of the support is about how to best support your spouse. There are a few places like this that focus on the non-transitioning spouse, but theses places are generally looked down on in those groups because we advocate focusing on YOU and your need and tell you crazy things like your needs and desires are just as important as his.

But... how will your sex life change? I will be fairly straight forward, so scroll past if you don't want to read about any of that...

Your sex life will continue to change depending on how far your spouse goes in this transition. The hormones will eventually make it difficult, if not impossible, for him to get an erection, so if you like penetration, then y'all will probably need to use a strap on or some other toys. He will probably want you to kiss, etc, his developing breasts. Many women reported taking on the "male" role after their spouse surgically transitioned because their spouse wanted to experience penetration. I know you say you don't want to know about lesbian sex, but, truthfully, that is where you are heading. 

You have a difficult road ahead of you and you need to look within yourself and truly figure out what you want and need and what you can live with. I wish you well.

March 10, 2023 10:26 pm  #8

So I had sex with my trans identifying now ex for three years while I was trying to decide whether I could accommodate him acting as a woman.

The way my sex life changed might not be the way yours changes.  For one thing, my ex did not take hormones.  But I'll be blunt with you.  "Our" sex life was all about him and what he wanted.  

What follows is definitely Not Safe For Work.

He wanted to "act the part of a woman" and be penetrated.  So I did that for him (anally).  He'd lie back, raise his legs, and moan, "I need you to fuck me."   Either with a dildo that looked like a lifelike penis, and that I wore, or with a double-headed dildo that he bought, because it was for lesbians, and we both used it at the same time (me vaginally, him anally).

He wanted to give me oral sex, because that way he could pretend he was another woman.   I'll say now that although he considered we were "two lesbians together," I never saw it that way.  As with being a woman, he had no actual idea of what a lesbian felt, because he wasn't one, just as he wasn't a woman.  (So in that way I disagree with Stronger, because I wouldn't call what he wanted and did "lesbian sex" but "pretend lesbian sex.")

There was no penis-in-vagina sex, ever, because if I wanted that he would get upset that I wanted him to "be more male," although he would wear a strap-on so he could pretend he was a lesbian. I found that experience not to be satisfying, just as I found the double-headed dildo to be unsatisfying as well. There's no sense of two bodies responding to one another, just one doing something to another.  There's a vast difference between, say, a man who has erectile dysfunction but wishes he didn't. and uses a strap on in order to provide you a semblance of what you used to have, and a man who rejects his penis, eschews heterosexual sex, and doesn't even if he can.  Somehow the first is a caring act, while the second is withholding and rejection of your sexuality.  Over time this bothered me more and more. 

And yes, he'll want you to pleasure his "breasts," although you'll find that it feels quite different when you know he's imagining himself as a woman having his breasts and nipple pleasured, rather than a man who understands that sexual pleasure is not limited to a very narrow range of activities.  

Your body, by the way, and your sexual response, will become merely a blueprint for him.  He will care less about you and your pleasure than he will about vampiring on your sexual response.  

He still wanted me to pleasure him orally, and liked to imagine the glans of his penis was a clitoris.  He also still masturbated, turned on by himself wearing women's clothes.  That made it worse: he would use his penis to pleaure himself, but would not use it to pleasure me.  But anything that smacked of heterosexual sex was O-U-T.  And for me to want it, even, became for him a rejection of who he "was."  So I wasn't even allowed to grieve for the loss of heterosexual penis-in-vagina sex (or to request a session without him wearing women's lingerie), without it making him feel attacked.  

Oh, and did I mention the lingerie?  Not for me, but for him.  He wanted to wear it EVERY time, and change multiple times every time we had what I took to privately referring to as "a sex session."  It definitely wasn't "love-making"!

By far the worst thing was that sex ceased to be an intimate act of closeness and connection.  Instead, it became something he was having with himself, in love with his "woman self."  I felt as if I were acting in a drama he was scripting, directing, and starring in.  I wasn't even playing a supporting role!  I was merely an instrument of his pleasure, no different than any other sex prop. 

You want to know what your sex life will be like?   It'll be something like that. 

I wish I'd never ever had sex with him in his woman persona.  I had to learn to focus very narrowly, like on a body part, or the curve of the neckline of his lingerie, in order not to feel revulsion or disgust, and worse, I had to learn to dissociate, like a prostitute, so that my body might be participating, and I could act the part, while I'd watch myself from outside myself.  The trauma of it is with me still, even just writing this, and I moved out five years ago.  

Take a hard lesson from me and give it a hard pass.  If you don't, you'll wish you had.

My experience is not unusual.  Other women have reported this same feeling of feeling as if they were merely being used as an object and the main action was between him and the woman he we pretending and wanting to be.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (March 10, 2023 10:39 pm)

March 11, 2023 10:54 am  #9

I just want to add this:

It's not just that he's going to "physically change."  He's going to "mentally change," too.  

I did not grasp this at the time, but after I left, and as time passed, and I got some distance from the experience, I gained this perspective: the crux of the matter is that while we are still thinking of our male husbands as male, a man, even as we try to adjust to their new personae, they have made the leap of thinking of themselves as women.  We want to retain as much as we can of our old relationship; they want to cast aside that male person they now believe was a fake, and remake themselves entirely around their new selves (often while announcing they're the "same person inside").  

My ex did not want to make love to me as a man to a woman, a husband to a wife, a heterosexual to another heterosexual.  He rejected the idea he was a man, even if he still had a male body.  In his mind he wanted to treat that male body as if it were female and matched the picture he had of himself inside.  My sexual responses became a guide for him of how a woman would respond (and so he aped or appropriated my sexual response), and he subjected me to his ideas of female sexuality and coy seductiveness (women like to be taken, are passive, etc,), most of which I found objectionably stereotypical and even misogynist.  

March 12, 2023 9:31 pm  #10

The resounding lack of response to my posts makes me think I ought to delete them.

Board footera