OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 28, 2023 4:45 pm  #31

Re: Disillusioned

I don't think we're going to get the chance to settle back down and enjoy the natural phenomenon of a rainbow ever again at this rate.

Personally I am feeling super triggered at the moment because I am so familiar with the rainbow serpent.  And yes it is symbolic of all of us.  So now it has been used as the first float in the world wide gay pride parade with the aborigine gay women saying it means all of us.  Unfortunately of course that now comes to mean all of the LGBTQI+ group.  

To use it to symbolise gay pride is to monopolise it - as if straights have fallen off the back of life.

Last edited by lily (February 28, 2023 4:51 pm)

February 28, 2023 7:42 pm  #32

Anon, just want to reiterate, you might have some interesting aspects to the way your brain works but broken?  In all the posts you have written here you certainly show yourself as intelligent, warm hearted and distinctly sane.

February 28, 2023 11:31 pm  #33

Anon2222 wrote:

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

True wrote:

True.... The word "rainbow" in your post might not be the most mindful word to use in a Forum full of straightspouses who've been damaged by people who use rainbows as their flag

Elle

Ok, I had to laugh at this. I actually have PTSD symptoms when I see the stupid rainbow anything now. I didn't know it was possible to hate a bloody rainbow. But I absolutely cannot deal with the site of anything rainbow right now. So, I am hoping that trigger will settle down over time....

I relate to that so much. Anytime I see one right now my chest gets tight. That's so frustrating! I don't even have anything against them. It's the association with someone who's ripped my heart out.

We'll get past it. No way is this going to be my forever state. It won't be for you either!

March 1, 2023 6:11 pm  #34

Anon2222 wrote:

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

True wrote:

True.... The word "rainbow" in your post might not be the most mindful word to use in a Forum full of straightspouses who've been damaged by people who use rainbows as their flag

Elle

Ok, I had to laugh at this. I actually have PTSD symptoms when I see the stupid rainbow anything now. I didn't know it was possible to hate a bloody rainbow. But I absolutely cannot deal with the site of anything rainbow right now. So, I am hoping that trigger will settle down over time....

It's settled down a lot for me. I still have trouble with even the initials LGBQT,  but I've been able to get rainbows back.  I've always loved rainbows, and no way is my ex going to take them away. I'm going to have a rainbow christmas tree this year. Maybe with a few clouds thrown in. Maybe a lot of clouds.  I like clouds too.

March 2, 2023 12:02 am  #35

So. I met with a lawyer today. And it was an incredibly depressing experience.

I can't say I'm surprised I guess. After doing research into it I kinda figured I'd be screwed...and the lawyer confirmed as much.

Apparently where I am, women without children are treated incredibly poorly in the divorce process. Long story short, I'm not entitled to really anything and technically as it stands I will owe him money. Also, the current divorce process is taking 3+ years. During this time, I have to disclose all my financial information etc to him (and vice versa). It sounds like an incredibly horrific and complicated process and I am even more overwhelmed than before. So...woo...

That, sadly, did not make me feel any better and confirmed that I have years of hell ahead. The lawyer did say that if it becomes contentious he has seen it take up to 8 years for the divorce to go through. Guess I'm just gonna be wasting more years of my life *eye roll*

So. Because there is absolutely nothing I can do and I have absolutely no control over my life....I have decided to attempt to take the stance of just not caring. He continues to have all the power (my lawyer said a lot of the judges are quite misogynistic and tend to side with the man. Also, spousal support here is next to impossible to get as women are expected to "step up and get a job". 

So. Gonna go zone out with my pets and just ignore life. The lawyer did inform me that he can also lay claim to my animals if he chooses to be a prick.... 

I learned my lesson. I am never getting married again. 

March 2, 2023 1:40 am  #36

Anon2222 wrote:

Try another lawyer? Do you have anyone to talk this through with...friend, family?

It all seems so unfair!

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

March 2, 2023 7:11 am  #37

I interviewed 5 attorneys before I selected one.  Being a lawyer is more an art than a science. Some are paint by numbers and some are Picasso.  Your stbx did not follow the traditional route for leaving the marriage either.

Anon, is there a support group for the separated and divorced in your area?  There's strength in numbers.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

March 2, 2023 9:46 am  #38

Thanks guys!

Sadly, I was getting prepared for this. I know several other women who went through divorce and got hosed. Like I said, the laws where I am are brutal.  Down to he can even monitor my spending for the next 3 years and make me justify what I spend on things. It's absolutely ridiculous and archaic. 

But, it is what it is really. And I can't afford to see different lawyers, as just the consult fee here to talk to one for advice cost me $1000. He was saying it's actually quite disgusting what has happened to the divorce laws here. Apparently it used to be a lot different but they made a lot of changes in the past several years. Go figure. 

It actually kinda makes me want to move....

March 2, 2023 1:16 pm  #39

Anon2222 wrote:

...He was saying it's actually quite disgusting what has happened to the divorce laws here.

"he"...? A male lawyer?

I didn't even entertain the thought of a male lawyer.

As Mj said I reckon you should look for a divorce & separation group. Strength and support in numbers

E

KIA KAHA                       

March 2, 2023 9:08 pm  #40

So...he sent a message letting me know he was back and would respond to my email shortly.

Currently hyperventilating and having a panic attack. I can't breathe and feel sick. Shaking. 

What the hell is all I have to say....

Board footera