OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2023 9:40 pm  #1

Disillusioned

I came to the realization that I have lost my belief in the inherent goodness of people.

I have struggled at times with how I feel about people in general. I am a genuinely nice person and look for the good in everyone. I have spent my life doing what I can to help others.

I am the only member of my family that works in healthcare. I had the altruistic thought of wanting to spend my life helping people. 

I have lost track of the times I have been assaulted, harassed, called names etc. And yet I continued on. Then the pandemic happened which led to a lot of people spitting on me, screaming in my face and calling me a sheeple. My beliefs about humanity started to skew.

Just prior to finding out my adult life was a lie.....I had a naked patient try to rape me (he removed his clothing when I stepped out of the room for a moment).

A crack in the armor appeared. I turned to my supposed partner in life for support. His response was to rip my soul out and then stomp on it.

The week he announced he was divorcing me, I had a break down. I was crying on the floor, in so much pain I couldn't breathe. I told him I needed him to come home as I needed support. He did not.

I look back at the past few months. And I see the ways I clung to the belief he cared about me. He went on and on about how he wanted to be friends. That he was always there for me. That he loved me. That the only reason he was ending this is because he was gay. I believed that he was a good person. Because, how could someone I loved and gave myself to for almost 20 years be that cruel?

It's funny, prior to this I hadn't really had many moments in my life where I truly needed someone. Like, full on break down, can't get up, don't want to be alive, can't function as a human being break down. And the only person in the world that I believed would be there for me if anything like this ever occurred....didn't bother.

My dog died at Christmas. It was "our" dog for 8 years. I called him at 2 am, crying, saying that she wasn't going to make it. I asked if he wanted to see her. He never bothered to call me back. Glutton for punishment that I am....I asked him a couple months later why he didn't even do the minimum of returning my call....and he told me that he didn't want to deal with my grief because it made him uncomfortable.

I have lost my faith in humanity. I have lost my faith in myself. Every vestige that was left that believed people meant well and cared about others....is just gone now. I actually ended up changing careers because I just couldn't do it anymore. I just couldn't spend another day being nice and trying to help the assholes in this world. They just kept outnumbering the good ones it seemed.

I have become incredibly jaded. My base mood is sure not what it used to be. The optimism is gone. I no longer believe in the goodness of people. And I basically feel like I'm just on the look out to see who or what is going to fuck me over next.

I miss the old me. I was naïve as hell....but that me had a passion for life and wanted to make the world a better place. I believed in true love. I believed I had a purpose in life. I had dreams, aspirations and plans.

Now I just have an empty shell left that is listless, disillusioned, and I honestly don't really feel like living anymore.

I keep reading the posts about people who have made it to the other side. Or who talk about being happy and actually celebrating the divorce. I go to therapy. I take medication for depression. And yet, I'm ambivalent to the fact of whether or not I wake up in the morning.

How do people crawl out of the hole? I am putting myself out there. I am working out regularly. Going out with friends. And yet I just feel lonely and depressed. Does time ever make this any better?

February 19, 2023 10:18 pm  #2

Re: Disillusioned

Anon2222 wrote:

.......How do people crawl out of the hole? I am putting myself out there. I am working out regularly. Going out with friends. And yet I just feel lonely and depressed. Does time ever make this any better?

I try not to see this as a hole I've fallen in to but a tunnel I have to walk through to get to the other side....even though I don't know how long it'll take. I'd like to have a job, but at 64 I know I won't. so I fill my day and when it's empty know it's up to me to fill it. 
You're a strong, resilient woman Anon. You've told us you are, we read it and see it. Believe in your inner core of strength that got you out of a sham marriage. 

I miss the old me too. But then I know the old me doesn't exist anymore so inexplicitly, at almost 65, I have to start again. It fucking sucks! But I'm going to do it because my children have to see me survive. 

The Forum wants to see you get through the storm Anon. Kia kaha

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 19, 2023 11:17 pm  #3

Thanks Elle. I have been reading your updates as well. It is a long road to walk.

I get told all the time that I'm doing so well in all this and I'm so strong. I don't feel that way though. Mainly I feel like I'm walking a fine line between sanity and insanity. And the depression is just so debilitating. I have days where I don't get out of bed. I also am not feeling well physically. I don't know if it's stress, exhaustion or what but I've been having some disturbing symptoms. I have a doc appointment booked to go over it. But, something is off. Which is so not helping.

One step at a time I guess is all we can do! Keep up the good fight!

February 20, 2023 12:18 am  #4

Oh Annon I wish I could give u a big hug tonite. Nobody understands this mindfuck unless you’ve been thru it. I was with my gay in denial husband 37 years and NEVER suspected a thing. My reality, like yours was shattered in an instant. To say it was debilitating is a gross understatement, and I can relate to feeling naive, the unconditional trusting. It’s helped me to realize that I can bond, it’s what normal human beings do. Bonding changes our brains, neural pathways are set, and to break this bond is excruciating for us. New neural pathways have to be reset. It’s biological as well as emotional. My husband never once cried or showed any emotion other than anger, saying how traumatic it was to sell the house. Leaving ME had been an option from the beginning: he was not invested in our marriage like I was.  Perhaps he was incapable of bonding. I’ll never know. Spiritually speaking. I was completely lost, and 18 months later and I’m just beginning to feel connected to something greater than myself again. Please hold on. One day at a time. Sending comfort and support to you and all your fur babies 👶

February 20, 2023 1:13 am  #5

I don't have a profound answer, Anon, but I just wanted to say I see your post and your view and experience matters. Your expressing it matters, even if it a limited circle sees it. We need more people to share their experiences so eventually, someday, the general public recognizes the depth of harm to the straight person.

I can empathize with several of the things you've said. Many times in the past 8-9 years I've felt total depression and great fear and suffocation from a culture I can't escape for heavily supporting someone (and others) who perpetrate acute harm, and for provide excuses for and idealization of those people. Those third-parties not seeing or being willing to speak about the wrongs of the individual or their own contribution to violence. In short, I think it's narcissistic and silly in general to believe "love wins" or that good has triumphed, regardless of one's orientation. It's a perpetuation of humans being what we have always been. (Possibly a psychological trick-- blindness and/or bias based in the ego.)

I've gotten to a point of severe depression and burnout at times, and a point of thinking people are bad (particularly related to the the idea that we are at an enlightened point in supporting individual minorities who've been blatantly cruel and selfish most of their lives). At this point, my conclusion is somewhat bland. I can relate to this:

"I miss the old me. I was naïve as hell....but that me had a passion for life and wanted to make the world a better place. I believed in true love. I believed I had a purpose in life. I had dreams, aspirations and plans. Now I just have an empty shell left that is listless, disillusioned".

Except I wouldn't say I was naïve-- I was intentionally and directly lied to, misled, and emotionally abused by someone who turned out to be irresponsible, completely disregarding of the people he made closest in his life, and selfish.

Perhaps you should give yourself more credit. Giving to others shows strength. Your positivity and caring matters to those you interact with.

I'm sorry so much bad has happened to you from multiple areas in your life at once; that's a lot to deal with.

"basically feel like I'm just on the look out to see who or what is going to fuck me over next."

I also get that, and it makes sense given what you've experienced in succession. 

I think I've become far, far, less social than I used to be because I disagree with others on what is considered fundamentally moral and acceptable on this issue. It is *violent* in itself to actively ignore the lives of straight people who've been abused so many years of their lives on something that matters foundationally. Decades-- and people celebrate those who've been abusive. As if it shouldn't be criminal.

I'm not as social or emotionally generous as I used to be. I certainly don't take people at their word as much anymore, because out of this experience, I've come to see that people may not know themselves as well as they think they do, and they have only examined, *and only care to examine* the angles that they wish to. (Generally, my takeaway from the Pride movement is daily proof of the celebration of human ego.)

But I do see that people actually try to be good when they can. The problem to me is that they don't see how wrong they are even when they think they're good people. I think people try to put their energy toward making the world better when they can. But they don't budge on some things. Preferences and bias are inherent. That's how it's always been. 

I don't think people are less bad than they used to be-- it's just that your experiences have tainted your energy and optimism. Which is completely unavoidable.

Focus on yourself. Your health. Your spirit. Your presence. Gain strength in yourself. 

The difficulty for me is still how to start integrating people again when I'm independent. Because we do have to-- our lives are richer with interpersonal relationships. Not just independent strength.

I also agree with this-- "You're a strong, resilient woman Anon. You've told us you are, we read it and see it."

" I actually ended up changing careers because I just couldn't do it anymore. I just couldn't spend another day being nice and trying to help the assholes in this world."

I understand where you're coming from. And frankly, I don't think it requires a straight spouse to understand that because that's easy to find across the world. Protective barriers are important because people can use others, regardless of the cause. You need to find what motivates and inspires you. What you love (like your dog) even if others don't see what you see. 

I think it's possible for you to find more energy and optimism over time, even if you continue to feel emptiness and loss.

That's my two cents. I wish you well.

February 20, 2023 9:14 am  #6

Anon,
   Much of what you say about the place you find yourself in right now resonates with my own experience.  And much of what you say about yourself--compassionate, optimist, sees the best in people, takes people at face value rather than eyeing them suspiciously--are qualities others who post here have shown they share.  Those qualities, unfortunately, are exactly those our closeted or in denial spouses/partners weaponize against us, and, when the scales finally drop from, or are torn from, our eyes, the depths of the betrayal are almost inconceivable to us, and hollow us out in exactly the ways you are experiencing.  

I won't go into the details of how that played out in my life when my now-ex dropped the trans bomb.  I'll only say that putting one foot in front of the other, every day, "one step at a time" is, as you recognize, is the way "through," as Ellexoh helpfully characterizes it.  I used to think of the Samuel Beckett line: "I can't go on, I'll go on."  

I'll also tell you the thing that helped me the most twice in my life when I was feeling suicidal, first after my father's suicide, and the second after my then-husband's trans bomb drop and our divorce.  My father sexually abused me as a child, something I was not able to fully come to terms with until he killed himself when I was 40; processing that betrayal and its reverberations through my life almost claimed me, too. To make it through, I told myself that if I killed myself, he, who created the conditions that pushed me to the brink, would win. And I wasn't allowing him that.  I was going to live and I was going to come out stronger and I was going to free myself of his shadow.  When I faced the same kind of debilitating betrayal from my husband I told myself a version of what got me through before: I wasn't going to let him determine the outcome of my life.  I wasn't going to allow him and his character flaws to prevail.  I wasn't going to let him and his betrayal be the sum total of my life.  Maybe my response wasn't the healthiest, most compassionate response, but it kept me alive and it got me through.  I became determined not to let them define or crush me, and that determination helped me help myself, to keep putting one foot in front of the other, when I was struggling. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (February 20, 2023 9:25 am)

February 20, 2023 12:31 pm  #7

OutofHisCloset wrote:

.....I wasn't going to let him determine the outcome of my life.  I wasn't going to allow him and his character flaws to prevail.  I wasn't going to let him and his betrayal be the sum total of my life.......

This....is gold 🤗

E

KIA KAHA                       

February 20, 2023 1:41 pm  #8

Thank you for the support and responses.

My gay husband is taking a 2 week vacation in a tropical location. It was a vacation we were supposed to take together.

I can't afford to take a vacation anymore.

Before he dumped me....I tried so many times to plan a vacation for us. He always went on and on about wanting a vacation but somehow I always ruined it.

I would love a vacation....but I don't have nearly the amount of money he has and I ended up dealing with everything he left behind.

I'm not sure how I feel right now. He's living "our" dream life apparently. I got all the pain and none of the reward I guess.

February 20, 2023 2:22 pm  #9

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

OutofHisCloset wrote:

.....I wasn't going to let him determine the outcome of my life.  I wasn't going to allow him and his character flaws to prevail.  I wasn't going to let him and his betrayal be the sum total of my life.......

This....is gold 🤗

E

OOHC,

That is gold.   At some point I did not want her and what she did to be my story.   I/we are so much more than what happened to us.   

Who made them Gods that they could dictate our lives.  I could see clearing when my GX was screaming at me..how her screaming and throwing things would somehow make what she was saying and doing true and ok.  They are not God's but rather very broken and hurtful people..not normal.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 20, 2023 2:37 pm  #10

Anon,

I can't tell you how many separated people I know that all went to Disney world and posted pictures trying to show how happy they were...as if that would somehow solve the shallow love these spouses have.

When married we went on no vacations ..I thought it was because there was no money
..somewhat true...but now I realize she never wanted to go anywhere with me.  And I realize now nothing would have made her happy..

Your vacation is yet to come.  And when it does it will be so authentic and  so enjoyable. More solace and peace than he ever could have given you.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera