OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2023 3:03 pm  #1

Those who have gone through a legal system....I have a question

Especially if you live in New Zealand...

How many of you told your lawyer that your partner was a member (acknowledged or not) of the lgbtq community?

And did it make any difference to the process?

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (February 15, 2023 3:05 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

February 15, 2023 3:14 pm  #2

Re: Those who have gone through a legal system....I have a question

I told my lawyer.  She was supportive, but it made no difference to the process.  The first lawyer I consulted was not sympathetic, and that is one reason I did not retain her.  

I do wish I'd said something to the judge on the day I went to court, for instance, when she asked me if the marriage were irretrievably broken, because I think it would have been entered into the court records, and as my ex remains closeted, there would have been an official document recording that. (I was under oath, too, so it would have counted.)

Your jurisdiction might be different, of course.

February 15, 2023 3:18 pm  #3

Yes...but . In my area made no difference...hard to prove infidelity also and it would just be a huge waste of money..courts really could care less...unless she was an axe murderer (which would affect custody). It was simply a division of assets.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 15, 2023 3:55 pm  #4

It didn't matter since his law breaking knocked his financial award way down.

It may matter if your partner wants to keep his status hidden. You may be able to negotiate a financial settlement favorable to you for keeping this info private.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

February 15, 2023 4:47 pm  #5

OutofHisCloset wrote:

......I do wish I'd said something to the judge on the day I went to court......because I think it would have been entered into the court records
Your jurisdiction might be different, of course.

I'm going to avoid court (hopefully) with the collaborative process....but yes I have visions of saying something* 
in front of somebody* in his presence

E

KIA KAHA                       

February 15, 2023 4:51 pm  #6

Rob wrote:

Yes...but . In my area made no difference...hard to prove infidelity also and it would just be a huge waste of money..courts really could care less...unless she was an axe murderer (which would affect custody). It was simply a division of assets.

I know it matters little to the courts. 
And I have a growing respect for and need to tell my story

E

KIA KAHA                       

February 15, 2023 4:57 pm  #7

MJM017 wrote:

...... You may be able to negotiate a financial settlement favorable to you for keeping this info private.

Hmmm.....speaking my truth/ending up with more money. Decisions decisions

E

KIA KAHA                       

February 15, 2023 7:54 pm  #8

When searching for an attorney I stopped mentioning lgtb status because there seemed to be bias built in and assumptions that I was adverse to ex's status. My questions at the time were never fully addressed.

February 15, 2023 9:08 pm  #9

Vistaseda wrote:

When searching for an attorney I stopped mentioning lgtb status because there seemed to be bias built in and assumptions that I was adverse to ex's status. My questions at the time were never fully addressed.

A bias against the lgbtq community or your perceived (tightly or wrongly) attitude?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 20, 2023 5:38 pm  #10

I told mine, but it made no difference. And he'd have found out anyway, since when papers were served, he needed a recent photo of ex, as a woman. All the name changes sure made the legal stuff harder. And more expensive.

Board footera