OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 3, 2023 2:40 pm  #1

Looking for help and support - new to forum

I am a woman and have been married to my husband for almost 34 years.  12 years ago he cheated with a woman.  After much counseling and work we stayed together.  3 years ago he cheated again and for this first time told me that he is bisexual and was with a man.  Again, we stayed together as I love him and he promised he loved me and said that he had just wanted to explore his newly admitted (to himself) sexuality and promised to be faithful from then on.  I do not care that he is bisexual and attracted to both men and women.  I just don't like being cheated on and the lies and hurt that go along with that.  
For the last few weeks he has been somewhat distant and often depressed.  He said that he was having a hard time dealing with who he is and the guilt for the hurt that he caused me in the past.  Well, I found out two days ago that he was texting someone.  He admitted that it was a man and after a few initial false stories finally admitted that he was seeing this guy for the last 6 months.  Again with the lies and secrets.  He said that he cannot be someone who he is not and that he feels like he has been denying his bisexuality.   He says that he cannot deny his desire to also be with men as this would be denying "who he is."   I asked him to leave our house because of the cheating and the constant lies.  We have children but they are grown and out of the house so it is just me.  
He has been in contact with me and says that he loves me but he has to be true to himself (which i understand).  I told him that I cannot be with someone who lies and cheats behind my back.  He wants an open marriage.  
First of all, I am not sure I can forgive the lies and cheating (again).  Second I am not sure I could emotionally handle an open marriage.  I am not sure I could trust him to stay within any rules that we set up given his past history of lies and cheating.
I don't understand as I am not bisexual.  He is saying that if he is not with both men and women (me) then he is denying his true self.  I believe you can be bisexual but still commit to being faithful to only one person.  
I love him and I know he loves me.  This is all so very overwhelming and it is causing me much distress and anxiety.  I am so confused.  Please help if you have any advise.  I want to understand. 

February 3, 2023 3:22 pm  #2

Re: Looking for help and support - new to forum

Hi Irish Girl - I am sorry you have to experience this. You've definitely found the right place. I was 23 years together and 19 years married with my wife when it all began. Well, began from my end. Like you, I was very supportive in the beginning. Then I started learning how easily she lied, almost like people breath, she could not tell the truth to save her life on anything. She lied about the "friends" she had as women, lied about agreements we made about who to bring around our kids and where, lied about the agreements we made as we are going through the divorce process, and continues to lie. 

My advise, you can love someone with all of your heart, while recognizing they are not good for you. Someone who lies and cheats behind your back does not hold you in high regard. You will find social media therapist discussing "why" people do this. Unhealed trauma, etc. Thats all fine. The end of the day, people who love you, truly love you, would not knowingly put you through this hell and especially would not do so repeatedly. Everyone has a different journey and I want to encourage you to take the time you need on yours. That said, it took me awhile, but I finally came to the realization, even if she came back begging, I would never trust a word she said ever again.....and that is not a relationship I chose to invest in, friendship or otherwise. 

I am limited contact with her, only talk about kids and co-parenting. I had to go hard and cut her off, all social media, her family, all of it, because having her "pop up" was too much. That's my journey. I hope and wish for things to work out in your best and highest good, whatever that may be. 

I am so sorry, I know the pain. It's so intense, and I am still picking up the pieces of my life. Somedays I only move an inch forward, but keep moving forward. The further from it you get, the better you'll feel. 

February 3, 2023 3:40 pm  #3

Thank you for reaching out and offering your kinds words.  They are VERY much appreciated and help me feel less alone.  I feeling like I am drowning in a sea of confusing emotions.  

February 3, 2023 3:56 pm  #4

Jersey Irish Girl wrote:

Thank you for reaching out and offering your kinds words.  They are VERY much appreciated and help me feel less alone.  I feeling like I am drowning in a sea of confusing emotions.  

Completely normal to feel that way. You are not alone! The intensity of the emotions, as well as the varied nature of them can be truly debilitating. Be patient with yourself, hang in there.

February 3, 2023 4:09 pm  #5

Hi Jersey,

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I don't personally understand the bisexual experience either, since I'm not bisexual, but there is a stereotype that bisexual people can't commit, can't be happy with one person, and often can't be happy no matter who they're with in a given moment because they simultaneously desire what they aren't experiencing right then. That said, there are plenty of bisexual people who don't fit that stereotype at all and call that an awful lie. I think the stereotype comes from people who cheat and happen to be bisexual. It's not an identity issue.

If you want a monogamous relationship, both partners have to be willing to commit fully to the other, regardless of sexuality. Both people are giving up opportunities (if that's how you view it) to be with other people. Gender doesn't matter. Being attracted to both genders doesn't matter. Understand what he's saying- committing to you is denying what he wants and who he is. That means he wants to be with more than only you and he associates that desire with his identity. That's a pretty intense statement, to say he has to sleep with multiple people in order to be who he is. I don't know how the poly thing works and I have heard it described as an orientation, but idk. Maybe if you're looking for clarity, repeat those things back to him and make sure that's what he means. I think the conclusions you've drawn from the multiple affairs are likely correct.

February 3, 2023 6:25 pm  #6

Irish Girl... Welcome to our Forum
If you haven't already have a read of the First Aid Kit thread., it's on the General Discussion board.

If there is one thing above all else that I'd tell you it's that once you agree to an open r'ship your marriage is changed forever. And it will never be the same again.
If you haven't already...get yourself tested for STIs. Your husband doesn't see your r'ship with him the same way you do.

Don't hide all this away. Talk to someone (not your husband) He'll want it all kept secret.

Keep reading and posting 🤗

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 4, 2023 10:58 am  #7

Irish Girl, I am so sorry you are going through this.  There is so much to process, and it can be incredibly confusing and painful.  I encourage you to take your time.  From what I have read, having an open relationship is a lot of work.  Communication, honesty, and respect are all needed for it to be a success.  It sounds like your gut is warning you against entering into one at this time.  Listen to that. 

This is just my opinion, but what if you looked at this differently?  He is framing this as an identity issue, which taps into your compassion and love.  What if you reframe this as a respect issue? Do you feel loved and respected?  Is his treatment of you something you would encourage your children to accept from a partner?  Your needs and wants are important.  You are allowed to have deal breakers.  You asked him to leave because of the cheating and lies - not because of his orientation.

Do you have a trusted friend, relative, or counselor you could talk to?  You need support.  You matter.
And keep reading and posting here, as Elle suggested.  We understand what you are going through.

February 7, 2023 8:43 am  #8

JerseyIrishGirl,

That is the mindfuck here...  they say the love us, maybe they have guilt...  but... they have no problem hurting us.  Like its not something we could do...we wouldnt be able to sleep at night.      In my confusion in one of our arguments asked my cheating wife how could she sleep at night..she said she slept fine...      

And that is the difference bewtween yourself and him..    I found it best to believe the actions more  then more than any words said to me..   His actions tell you who he really is...   What love you feel is there is not as absolute as yours, not as strong, fierce and honest..  not enough to overcome his broken morality and hurt you..

Read the first aid thread,  build your support system...  Know that you did nothing wrong ..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

February 8, 2023 3:56 pm  #9

My wife came out to me as lesbian about two months ago.  Her awareness of her transition from what she thought had been lifelong heterosexuality had been ongoing for a little over a year.  Prior to coming out to me, she had maintained, both to me and to our couples therapist, that her difficulties within our marriage stemmed entirely from my inconsiderate behavior.  And I really had been inconsiderate and probably emotionally abusive: I was so angry and hurt by what I thought was her lack of interest in our marriage that I moved into a back bedroom and barely spoke to her for several weeks; I stopped telling her I loved her because I wasn't sure I did.  Greatly complicating these already difficult issues, my wife had no interest in sexual intimacy with me during the entire period dating back nearly two years prior to her coming out.  I accept and support my wife's transition and of course that transition explains at least in part the domestic difficulties we experienced.  My problem now is that I can't stop blaming myself for pushing her out the door seeking the love and affection I denied her.  I am obsessed with my past misbehavior because I cannot rule out that it had a great deal to do with her transition and because it (my misbehavior) deprived us both of months of domestic enjoyment that would have created such a more sharing environment for her transition.  I am so obsessed with my misbehavior that I have entered a deep depression that I think keeps me from actively understanding and supporting her transition.  I would like to enter an inpatient facility for maybe one to three weeks to address my depression.  Would anybody have an inpatient facility in the United States or Colombia (where we live) or Holland (our "permanent" residence) that you could recommend to me?

February 8, 2023 3:57 pm  #10

Have you considered sharing your story with The Chump Lady?  She runs an outstanding blog about infidelity, and I suggest you submit your story to her.  Good luck.

Board footera