OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2023 3:18 pm  #31

Re: 2022 was a fucked-up year

Elle

My GX asked me where I would like the divorce papers served.. like she was in some sort of control and had no problem having someone come to my employer (that paid for her food). Send them to my lawyer I said and watched the rage on her face.

But she had already told she didn't want be married any more and was blatantly cheating..that was our conversation on the subject.. her rage was she didn't get the hurt and shock she was looking for.

Wishing you strength and courage..one never knows how these spouses will act when confronted with the moral consequences of their actions..the pomp and circumstance to marriage vows they they knew they broke long ago..

Last edited by Rob (January 31, 2023 8:01 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 30, 2023 3:31 pm  #32

Rob wrote:

.......one never knows how these spouses will act when confronted with the moral consequences of their actions..the pomp and circumstance to marriage vows they they knew they broke long ago..

Because we never married, and although we're still covered by the laws of marriage I still believe we'll get through this without a big fight/upset/recriminations. Seeing a lawyer was essentially to learn my rights and the easiest way to do this while also understanding it could be messy.
Personally I think my partner will be relieved

E

KIA KAHA                       

January 30, 2023 5:35 pm  #33

I don't really have much to offer, other than the fact that I'm in my 70's now, and so glad to not be tied to my ex (after 45 years!) anymore. It was hard and scary, but so worth it to be free. Sometimes I miss the partnership we had before everything fell apart. It's not easy being old and alone.  But it sure is much easier than having a person who didn't see me or want me in their life. If I were doing it again, I'd do it sooner, and I'd make sure he couldn't trash our finances the way he did. But even though I've had to dig out of a huge financial hole, I'm so much better off than I was. 

Last edited by W10J (January 30, 2023 5:48 pm)

January 30, 2023 6:26 pm  #34

W10J wrote:

I don't really have much to offer, other than the fact that I'm in my 70's now, and so glad to not be tied to my ex (after 45 years!) anymore. It was hard and scary, but so worth it to be free. Sometimes I miss the partnership we had before everything fell apart. It's not easy being old and alone.  But it sure is much easier than having a person who didn't see me or want me in their life. If I were doing it again, I'd do it sooner, and I'd make sure he couldn't trash our finances the way he did. But even though I've had to dig out of a huge financial hole, I'm so much better off than I was. 

Thank you for your thoughts W.
I may have gone about this back to front as in I haven't any concrete thoughts of where I'll live. Or how hard this will be but hope there will be a cushion of a few months for those decisions. 
I've told one person of my intentions, a dear friend who lives overseas. It was scary to hear myself saying the words but we'll be able to talk more when she visits in Feb.

Did you have support when you separated W10...from family, friends?

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

January 31, 2023 11:48 am  #35

Elle - I'm glad you met with an Attorney! I have been saying this quote every day as I wait for my GID Husband to receive our Marital Settlement Agreement from my Attorney. It should happen any day! It is scary, but I feel better each day. I feel a sense of calmness, peace, and acceptance! 

Facing the Future
Every journey begins
With but a small step.
And every day is a chance
For a new, small step
In the right direction.
Just follow your Heart song.
− [i]Mattie J. Stepanek 
[/i]

Last edited by gwendolyn_C (January 31, 2023 11:58 am)

January 31, 2023 12:36 pm  #36

gwendolyn_C wrote:

............ I'm glad you met with an Attorney!

Each step seems harder than the last but my next step will be having the conversation with, I have decided, my partner and both of our children because I'd rather have 1 conversation than 3. Each has a Significant Other that 
I'd rather not be present so I feel I have to be firm about the fact I want just my son and daughter there. That is so not like me, to exclude, so I'll have to admit to having "important news" and that I want them there alone.
The lawyer suggested I not arrange it on a Friday!

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

January 31, 2023 2:13 pm  #37

Elle - Their partners should understand. I wouldn't get offended if my GID husband had to meet with his mom and sister. Do your children know you already live separate lives because of your husband's status? 

January 31, 2023 2:32 pm  #38

gwendolyn_C wrote:

Elle - Their partners should understand. I wouldn't get offended if my GID husband had to meet with his mom and sister. Do your children know you already live separate lives because of your husband's status? 

They know we sleep in separate rooms yes but because our r'ship is amicable, and we still do much together I think that they think not much else is wrong

E

KIA KAHA                       

January 31, 2023 4:18 pm  #39

Thank you for your thoughts W.
I may have gone about this back to front as in I haven't any concrete thoughts of where I'll live. Or how hard this will be but hope there will be a cushion of a few months for those decisions. 
I've told one person of my intentions, a dear friend who lives overseas. It was scary to hear myself saying the words but we'll be able to talk more when she visits in Feb.

Did you have support when you separated W10...from family, friends?

I didn't have much support for a while. My ex has strong BPD/Narc traits (misses full diagnosis by one trait, but lied so much I can't be sure they actually missed the diagnosis) and had done an excellent smear campaign while I was too sick to talk or leave my room. People at church, our old friends, so many people bought into the story line of wonderful-but-exhausted-husband-caregiver-finally-finding-true-self-yay. Never mentioned that his abuse is what made me bedbound to start with. Even with our adult kids, some bought it at first. Ex is a very very good liar. I had one good friend that never wavered, bless her, who recommended a lawyer. One of my brothers was a rock, helped me figure out taxes and all. I put in the extra time and energy and hours of horrible interactions to negotiate a settlement that took his name off the house deed and got our finances separated. I'll never know how I managed that, but I'm grateful. So I have a place to live, though maintaining it is hard. And I've been able to build my finances back to a stable level, without ex continually draining the accounts. I"ll never get back my social security payments me hid from me and spent, or the retirement account money he blew through, but I can make it. 

Even so, things are much much better now. I breathe again. No more lies. My kids finally got what was going on, and that helped a lot. It took a while, but ex's interactions with them have been pretty awful too, if they cross any lines, like having a life of their own.  Some friends have come back, not all, but I know they're real friends. Somehow, things work out. I didn't think they possibly could, in the middle of it, but they did. 

Last edited by W10J (January 31, 2023 4:19 pm)

February 1, 2023 12:51 pm  #40

W10J wrote:

.....Even so, things are much much better now. I breathe again. No more lies. My kids finally got what was going on, and that helped a lot. It took a while, but ex's interactions with them have been pretty awful too, if they cross any lines, like having a life of their own.  Some friends have come back, not all, but I know they're real friends. Somehow, things work out. I didn't think they possibly could, in the middle of it, but they did. 

Every morning I wake up and think about my life and situation. I know what's happened will be with me forever. There is no way I can forget....even after separating....the years we've been together but I just hope for peace in my heart, and the knot in my stomach that holds all this Mindfuck emotion to loosen. 

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera