OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2023 12:01 am  #111

Re: 2022 was a fucked-up year

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Elle,

I don't know if this will apply to you, but I'm saying it because forewarned is forearmed.

My ex was someone who avoided, closed down, resorted to silence, and liked to ignore the elephant in the room, and I think you have said similar things about your partner.  However, once the process was started, I was amazed to see how proactive my ex was on his own behalf when it came to assets.  So you will need to be prepared to stand firm and stand up to him, and at a time when you don't feel strong at all.  

I just don't know how this will go Oohc. But we don't have much and my savings are separate from our joint assets so we'll see what advice we get from our lawyers through the collaborative process

E

KIA KAHA                       

February 27, 2023 12:52 pm  #112

OutofHisCloset wrote:

....I don't know if this will apply to you, but I'm saying it because forewarned is forearmed... 
....you will need to be prepared to stand firm and stand up to him, and at a time when you don't feel strong at all.  

I mentioned to him last night that he had left off the list of tools in the garage but.....I wouldn't even know (or care for that matter) what the value, if any, they hold but I did mention it and he seemed surprised I'd thought of it. 

We have nothing. I'm realising we live well, have discretionary cash to live well, A has a good, well-paying job, we've holidayed, I can fly off to visit family whenever I wish but when I dig down and look hard at my/our life
....it has no meaningful substance anymore. And that makes me feel sad for what my life has become because after this A will have all the financial power of a man who was always the breadwinner, he'll have the core of what we both started and will build on that whereas *I* will have to begin again at 65.
I wish I'd seen and appreciated what was happening earlier and acted sooner

E

KIA KAHA                       

February 28, 2023 5:27 pm  #113

Okay....yesterday I was thinking I need some face-to-face support in the next few months until things
become clearer as to when & where I will start my new life so this morning I visited a Women's Centre
here in ChristChurch and introduced myself. 
To ease myself in I'm going to go to a yoga class there tomorrow morning

E

KIA KAHA                       

February 28, 2023 7:40 pm  #114

well done Elle. brilliant - what a good idea, you will get all the up to date info in a group like that.

February 28, 2023 8:03 pm  #115

“To ease myself in I'm going to go to a yoga class there tomorrow morning

E”

Yeeeeeesssss! Just keep saying yes to anything that connects you to your community. Yoga = taking care of yourself. You WILL get through this.

March 1, 2023 6:24 pm  #116

Lily and Toward.....the yoga class was small, just 2 of us and the teacher, but it was a good experience.

In fact....afterward the other woman mentioned she was in the process of divorcing her husband (she's the same age-range as me) and we went for a coffee afterwards (I actually had a yogurt instead lol), Talked about ourselves,  exchanged mobile numbers and though I felt a bit weird, with a touch of suspicion  ..gave her my address after she had given me hers. 

It all seemed too good to be true that she was going through the same as me

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

March 1, 2023 6:39 pm  #117

I don't know that it is so coincidental that she is also going through a divorce but it strikes me too as a bit odd that she should give you her address.  Did she give a reason?

March 1, 2023 7:07 pm  #118

lily wrote:

I don't know that it is so coincidental that she is also going through a divorce but it strikes me too as a bit odd that she should give you her address.  Did she give a reason?

No and I didn't ask. I probably should have. Too late now, I was caught off-guard I suppose. It was either be open and trusting or suspicious and untrusting when all I had to say was "I'm not comfortable giving you my address yet"

KIA KAHA                       

March 1, 2023 7:28 pm  #119

yeah, it's a learning curve, isn't it.  Could be the same for her.

March 6, 2023 11:28 am  #120

Another step taken.

My son, who lives in the same city as my partner and I but is moving and has said "come live with us" asked his father "you know she's going to live with us don't you?"
I had been angsting all day about when, where and how I was going to open the conversation about the decision but my son just 'ripped that bandaid off'.
It was awkward for a moment, his father didn't really say a word. No emotion at all. Typical.

E

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera