OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 25, 2022 10:46 am  #1

Holiday Greetings For All

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

For everyone out there struggling with the holidays, warm hugs. 

I cried myself to sleep last night. And I woke up this morning for my first Christmas Day alone. No gifts to open or fancy breakfast to make. I feel a bit numb.

I plan to clean up my place today. And get things set up for tomorrow. I am hosting dinner tomorrow, as my brothers gf works today. If nothing else, this is the first year where I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to visit every chunk of family equally.  My MIL invited me to dinner today....but I'm not ready for that. I have gone into hiding since he walked out, and right now I just can't see seeing any of his family...I don't know if I will ever want to.

My family is tiny, and I have a small friends circle. His family is huge. So, I know he's been going to dinners/parties etc for days (as I used to be in all that). So, this year is definitely very different. Very quiet.

But. I will survive this, like I have made it through every other thing thrown at me in the past few months. That's what I keep telling myself. One step at a time all! We can do this!

December 25, 2022 12:12 pm  #2

Re: Holiday Greetings For All

I worked last night so that someone could spend Christmas eve with their family. Figured I'd worry about Christmas Day later...now is later.
    Clean a little, read a little, maybe watch a documentary on-line.
      Mostly, I'm trying to avoid self-pity. Avoid thinking of the specifics...are the ornaments with our names on the tree? Is the tree in the same corner? Did they get the tree up without an argument?
  Lots of thoughts about the tree. Didn't get one this year.
-RJ

December 25, 2022 12:42 pm  #3

Anon2222 wrote:

. ....But. I will survive this, like I have made it through every other thing thrown at me in the past few months. That's what I keep telling myself. One step at a time all! We can do this!

I'm thinking of you Anon. I think by the very nature of our r'ships we often must have a very small circle of friends, but don't realise the impact it may have till it's too late.
It's hard starting your life again at our age and I'm in awe of how you're handling it...

...one step at a time. Yes!

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

December 26, 2022 8:14 am  #4

Merry and happy holidays to all.

I had a drama free christmas..basically sharing the kids and not talking to each other.   

I suddenly remembered I didn't wish her a merry Christmas.  I have mixed feeling about that..I think I will be brave and send her a belated one. May be the end to drama free LOL..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 26, 2022 9:15 am  #5

We survived the Holiday! I also had a drama-free Christmas. I had a bad cold and skipped going to my in-laws. I didn't feel like acting everything was fine. Although my GID Husband and I are cordial, this is not what I wanted for my marriage. I made a good meal and watched Christmas movies.  Everyone came home late last night, and we’ll watch the kids open gifts today.

December 26, 2022 1:08 pm  #6

The table is set and looks so festive. I brought up the extra leaves and chairs and everything. I have a giant ham all ready to go into the oven. I bought tons of food. It took a lot of work but the house is sparkling, I have gifts for everyone, I spent actual Christmas Day alone to accommodate everyone by having it on Boxing Day.

I get a text from my brother about half an hour ago.....his girlfriends family, all 9 of them, aren't coming. Apparently they're all "under the weather". No apology. 

So, right now I'm sitting on my butt, watching tv and having a cup of coffee. This whole thing cost me a fortune and I went all out....because I really enjoy Christmas and wanted everyone to have a good time.

Now there will be 5 of us and enough food to feed an army. And I am pondering if this is the last time I offer to host a holiday dinner.

Merry Christmas to me.....

December 26, 2022 3:09 pm  #7

Happy Holidays to all!

I had the beginnings of a cold or flu when I woke up yesterday so decided to stay home. I didn't want to get worse or pass along my germs.

Not feeling well today but feels peaceful and calm outside. It's nice to take a break from busyness!!

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

December 26, 2022 7:56 pm  #8

Anon2222 wrote:

... I get a text from my brother about half an hour ago.....his girlfriends family, all 9 of them, aren't coming. Apparently they're all "under the weather". No apology....

Oh man... That's unforgivable. And by text!
Well you know not to be caught out again. Your Xmas dinner for 5 will be fabulous. Give them leftovers to take home...or freeze it for later

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera