OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 18, 2022 12:13 am  #1

It felt real, and it was?

The most confusing thing right now is thought spiral of how it could have felt so real. Her answer was, “because it WAS real.” And that just…. that just makes it more confusing. Harder to accept. Because if it WAS real, then why can’t it still be? Why cant she feel that romantic attraction that used to be there? I think the answer actually fairly straightforward now that I type this out. The answer is that she has asked herself the same question, and her answer was “I dont know why I cant.” I know she wishes she could, because she’s told me. That means when she came to the conclusion that she doesnt know, that that conclusion was enough for her. For her it doesnt matter that she doesnt know why, all that matters is that she cant. So she moves on. She goes forward. And I have to sit here fighting with my own mind, trying to get it to stop trying to figure out how to reignite the romantic attraction that once was. Trying to instead get my mind to focus on other things. Like what the fuck I’m supposed to do now that I find myself wanting to go on dates with other women, while knowing that I’m nowhere NEAR being able to see her do the same. Knowing that she set a boundary for herself not to let her feel or act on those desires until we are no longer living in our house, how can I set a lesser boundary for myself? That would ruin the friendship which we want to endure. I hate this.

Now I get why we call it the mindfuck

Last edited by Mr_Stroodle (November 18, 2022 12:14 am)

November 18, 2022 3:54 am  #2

Re: It felt real, and it was?

say mindfuck enough times and it starts to seem reasonable to live in a state of confusion.

It isn't, it hurts, it's damaging to your self esteem, your self respect,  and it deeply affects your trust in yourself.

Reality matters.  Even when it's in the past - knowing whether that romantic attraction was ever real on her part matters to you now.  The truth of the matter please!  That way you can move forward with confidence.

If you ask me I will say the answer to that question although it is about the past is there in her current acknowledgment she likes women. 

Last edited by lily (November 18, 2022 3:57 am)

November 18, 2022 8:49 am  #3

Mr_Stroodle:

I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but you are on your way to "radical acceptance."  You're starting to give up the idea you can "fix" things, to stop wondering whether the clock can be turned back, if there's something you can do to right the ship.  So many of us are the "fixers" in our relationships, or have personalities that see problems and want to tackle or resolve them, or we just don't want to see the lives we've built and the love we feel disappear through no action or fault of our own.  You have a lot of grief still to feel and to process, but you are, although I'm sure it doesn't feel like it, in a better place than when you were casting about for ways to "reignite the romantic attraction" you believed she once felt.  

I heard the same line from my now-ex (of four years) when his revelation led me to question our entire past together.  "It was real," he said.  And, like you, that answer did not feel true. 

What I decided was it was real in these ways:  the events happened; my actions and attitudes were genuine, and based on my reasonable expectation that what I was seeing was what was true.  He, however, was not genuine, or, at least, fully honest.  To learn that he had been questioning his sexuality/gender identity for years, including during that time, and experiencing those very real events in a way different from the way he represented his experience to me, means he wasn't genuine.  That's my half and half conclusion: I was real; he wasn't real. 

They go forward so easily because they have spent their lives building inner walls and compartmentalizing.  They insist that "it was real" because otherwise they have to come to terms with what they concealed from us, and they don't wish to do this.  In fact, they feel as if they have had to do what they have done--hide and conceal and compartmentalize--because of others: family disapproval, cultural homophobia, etc etc.  They tend to see themselves as the victims, and their actions justified.  That we are hurt--that they hurt us--is to them not their doing, but "society's," because "society" made me do it (the "devil made me do it" by another name).

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (November 18, 2022 8:51 am)

November 18, 2022 3:11 pm  #4

My own experience...  It was real..But on their part they were never "all in"..  they never loved us as deeply..her integrity and love was as fleeting as the wind or weather..subject to change ..

Maybe they show the arrogance that my GX did...where she gets rid of all the pictures like the marriage never happened..like she is Dr Who and can rewrite the past...but you see there are these kids here that proved it really happened..cant erase those.   So since real reality cannot be erased they have to blame us as somehow causing everything.   

Did we lie, cheat, steal?  Not love them enough?  No..but they have to say we did..they have to get rid of the shame and blame. This allows them to leave us so easily and sleep at night I surmise.

All we can do is get far away from such broken, hurtful people.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 19, 2022 11:20 am  #5

OutofHisCloset wrote:

They tend to see themselves as the victims, and their actions justified.   

Pay close attention to this line. In my experience this is 1 Billion % accurate. My soon to be ex has admitted to doing wrong, but still won't call it what it is/was, a series of lies. She hates it when I call her out on that, because she "hates" liars, so to her, there is no greater insult. Only it is not an insult if accurate and it is accurate. She lied to my face time and time again even after she told me she had feelings for a woman. 

More to your experience, I would not worry about being friends at this point. In my view (and what I am doing now) is communicating this is not a realistic expectation. I told her plainly, I am not ready to have you in my inner circle, I do not trust you and will not spend time on a friendship that has no trust. She keeps trying. She admitted that she loved everything about our relationship...and she is literally "chasing" a feeling. I truly hope she finds it, but I doubt it. Happiness comes from within. Remember that for yourself, Happiness comes from within. You will grief, feel every bit of the emotion, if you do not, it will take longer to get to the other side. 

I have started seeing other women. I dont bring them home. I communicate to them I am still getting through my 23 year relationship with my gaslighting ex and would understand if they did not want to engage. My ability to communicate my emotions only draws more in. So what I'm saying is, do you, focus on doing what makes you happy. Be honest, tell people where you are at. I've found wonderful female companionship throughout this process and its not all sexual. Everyone my age has baggage, so many understand. Go at your own pace. 

Peace be with you my friend, these are hard day. My heart hurts for you because I have (and still am) suffering the same. I did not know I could hurt like this. But it does get better, friend. 

November 19, 2022 12:09 pm  #6

Blackie, thanks so much for your response. It helps so much to hear from people whose experiences are similar to mine. I really do want to be friends someday, and I hole it can happen. I’m feeling more and more that it won’t be able to happen, but I desperately want it to. She has chosen to go this route, and it will have consequences no matter what, and even if neither of us want those consequences to happen. That’s something we both will need to keep in mind

November 19, 2022 1:13 pm  #7

It definitely was real... at the time. Because to say it wasn't is giving all your power to the woman who has made you think your  r'ship has been false.
And that's how you've got to see it... As not letting her change your past because even though she was hiding who she was you can't let her t take away the times you were happy... because that's who you were. Look back to happy memories and accept them but realize now you have to separate them from your pain now.
I love Mindfuck as a description. Because this whole thing totally fucked with our minds. As long as we don't wallow in it and let it drag us down. As long as we stop focusing on them and what they have done because we can never ever change it so leave it behind... Focus on you

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

November 19, 2022 3:32 pm  #8

Mr_Stroodle wrote:

I’m feeling more and more that it won’t be able to happen, but I desperately want it to. She has chosen to go this route, and it will have consequences no matter what, and even if neither of us want those consequences to happen. That’s something we both will need to keep in mind

This is exactly right! She has already set this in motion. And wanting to be friends, but not seeing how it is possible now, at least from my experience is normal. I didn't just fall out of love with her the day she told me this. So its natural to go through a range of emotions, many times over again. Like I said, I did not know I could be this hurt (unless someone died). In a sense there was a death of our past relationship. 

This is what I told my ex verbatim. Maybe it will help you Mr. Stroodle. " I'm not trying to hurt you or make you feel bad, I am protecting myself from further damage from a known offender. Over time, some aspects can be re-built, but we may both find over time, that isn't what either of us wants or needs"

Said simply, I acknowledge that the future is uncertain for both of us, and while she wants to be friends now, she may not later. I may not either. I know it's cliche, but time WITH focus helps. I focus on "letting go" of the things I can not control. I focus on becoming a better version of myself. I focus on becoming a better listener, eating more healthy foods, work out 7 days a week (with recovery days) and get proper sleep (without xanax most of the time).

I've come a long way, I feel great most days, I look great (physically best shape of my adult life) and that confidence is attracting female suitors. Not that is the goal, it wasn't. Its a outcome of the actions I am taking. Everyone's journey is different. Take your time, let me know if I can help. 

November 19, 2022 6:11 pm  #9

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

It definitely was real... at the time. Because to say it wasn't is giving all your power to the woman who has made you think your r'ship has been false.
And that's how you've got to see it... As not letting her change your past because even though she was hiding who she was you can't let her t take away the times you were happy... because that's who you were. Look back to happy memories and accept them but realize now you have to separate them from your pain now.
I love Mindfuck as a description. Because this whole thing totally fucked with our minds. As long as we don't wallow in it and let it drag us down. As long as we stop focusing on them and what they have done because we can never ever change it so leave it behind... Focus on you

Elle

I really don't understand what you're getting at Elle.  It definitely wasn't real.  He was Never In Love with me.  Where in heck does saying that give him all my power?  It was a false relationship!  my sincerity, any good times I had don't change the falsity of it.  I need to be real with me.

And it wasn't 'the whole thing' that fucked with my head, it was him who did that.  I dunno, perhaps you feel like you need to take more responsibility for being in a MOM - is that how you feel?

November 19, 2022 11:02 pm  #10

lily wrote:

.,..I really don't understand what you're getting at Elle.... 

Lily my comments were for Mr_stroodle the OP of this discussion, not you. He is in an entirely different space than either you or myself but as a straightspouse who is still with my partner and just out of that confusing stage of the Mindfuck when we don't know what side is up and we don't know if it will ever be balanced again I feel I have advice I can share.

"take more responsibility for being in a MOM"...why? I can only go at my own pace and try to keep self-blame to a minimum. I certainly don't need to take more responsibility for where I am. I understand those who are out of and free of their r'ships thinking those who aren't should "take more responsibility" but nah.... I'll keep on doing it my way

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera